Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Hi Sir/Ma'am, I'm a 20 year old girl. Since one week, I'm having extremely painful cramps in my stomach after having meals or anything and persistent until I have some antacid medicines. I don't feel hungry, have lost my appetite. Please suggest something and why is it continuing, whether I should be worried about it.
I am 58 yes old male, now suffering from indigestion and gas problem. No appetite since morning and whole day. Request suggestion. Thank you.
Hello Dr. im 8 week pregnant my Dr. has check the baby heart beat and its 120bmp she said everything is ok but now im suffering from constipation with hard stool and little blood in stool is it ok or harmful.
Always throat infected. 24×7 my throat irritating and small pain and headache. I consult with many doctors. Last doc told me its because of heavy acidity. I have acidity problem. From 7 years i'm suffering this.
Hallo Dr. My immunity is very weak. After every season change I fall ill. Some time I suffer from cold some time fever. And in between acidity .my energy level is very low .lot of pain in body. Pl suggest some food or natural way to boost immunity.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a form of digestive disorder, which affects the lower oesophageal sphincters or the muscle ring present between the stomach and the food pipe. GERD incorporates the return of the contents of the stomach back to the oesophagus or food pipe. The functioning of the lower oesophageal sphincter is disrupted.
Causes: Hiatal hernia is a common cause of GERD. An unhealthy lifestyle and diet may also lead to GERD. Intake of an excess amount of chocolates, fried food, coffee or alcohol triggers the chance of a reflux. GERD also occurs in obese people and pregnant women.
Symptoms: Heartburn, also known as acid indigestion, is the primary symptom of GERD. The affected person may feel a burning chest pain which starts from behind the breastbone and reaches up to the throat. The feeling can be defined as food coming back to the throat with a bitter, acidic taste. The burning sensation may last as long as two hours.
Other symptoms include:
- Excess saliva secretion
- Chronic conditions of sore throat
- Gum inflammation
- Tooth cavities
- Unpleasant breath
In order to diagnose GERD, several tests may be conducted . They are:
- An X-Ray of the upper part of the digestive system.
- Endoscopy to examine the inner part of the oesophagus.
- Ambulatory acid test for monitoring the amount of acid within the oesophagus.
- An oesophageal impedance test to measure substance movement inside the oesophagus.
- A person must make several changes to his daily lifestyle and diet plan for treatment of GERD.
- Food and beverages like chocolates, fatty food, coffee, alcohol and peppermint should be avoided in order to reduce the weakening of the lower oesophageal sphincter. Several food items irritate the damaged oesophageal lining and should also be avoided. They include citrus fruits, tomato and pepper.
- Smoking cigarettes results in weakening of the lower oesophageal sphincter and should be stopped to reduce GERD.
- One should elevate the head of the bed on which he or she sleeps on blocks measuring 6 inches. This reduces the heartburn as gravity minimizes stomach reflux to return to the oesophagus.
- Over the counter medicines can be used to cure GERD. Antacids are a good example and neutralize the acid in the oesophagus and stomach, reducing heartburn. Combining antacids with foaming agents is also effective. A foam barrier is formed over the stomach, preventing the occurrence of acid reflux.
- Medicines for reducing acid in the stomach are prescribed in cases of chronic GERD, which include H2 blockers by the likes of cimetidine, famotidine or nizatidine.
GERD is a digestive disorder, which causes disruption in digestion, as reflux from the stomach is returned to the oesophagus. Proper treatment measures should be taken.
I have problem in my liver whatever I eat that is not digest properly so, please help me what should I do?
Hi, I have fatigue all the time. Have digest problem like burping all the time. Felt something disturbing in stomach like undigested all the time. Less hungry. Lost two kgs in whole year. Since last ten years I kept 60 to 61. Now 58. Checked with doctors and gone medication with infection and acid reflux tablets and gels. Not working etc. Felt little difficult in breathing rarely. A year done, still no improvement. I am a footballer and I do not have any problem in playing and running or breathing while playing.
Hi I am 53 years old and I am suffering from acidity and gastric problem. I took medicines on regular basis bt still m facing the problem. Can you please suggest me.
I have acidity problem, I takes Omez 20 almost everyday. Please suggest permanent remedy for acidity. I have allergies with egg white & milk.
I am a 23 years old male from Hyderabad. I usually have spice food, so sometimes it takes time to digest and sometimes I have chest pain because of acidity. Gas tablets give some relief to sometime, but not for more time. Is there any solution for better digestion.
Heartburn is a common symptom experienced by many people, but is often overlooked as indigestion. Besides making you uncomfortable, this can be a sign of a much bigger health problem. While the occasional heartburn can be treated with antacids, chronic heartburn can be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux.
Here are three important reasons you should not ignore heartburn
- It can promote tooth decay: The acid regurgitated might not necessarily stop in the esophagus. It can often also make its way into your mouth. When this happens frequently it can promote tooth decay and wear out enamel. This can also leave your mouth with a sour taste. Acid reflux induced tooth erosion can easily be prevented by the early treatment of acid reflux,but in most cases is noticed only after the damage has been done.
- It can cause cancer of the esophagus: Chronic acid reflux that persists for years can lead to changes in the cells of the esophagus. This can lead to a cancerous condition known as Barrett's esophagus. The condition has no other symptoms can if left untreated can develop into cancer of the esophagus. Women are at a higher risk of this form of cancer than men. Though esophageal cancer is relatively rare, it is not something to be trifled with. The survival rate of esophageal cancer is very low in comparison to other forms of cancer. Only 15-20% patients live longer than 5 years after this condition is diagnosed.
- It can lead to breathing problems: Heartburn is caused by stomach acid flowing back into the esophagus. If it is inhaled after regurgitation, it can worsen asthmatic conditions and pneumonia. At the same time, treating acid reflux with medication like PPIs can also increase the risk of pneumonia as it can promote bacterial growth and suppress coughing. Thus, when consulting a doctor for acid reflux treatment ensure that you mention any existing asthmatic conditions so that you can be treated with your lung functioning in mind.
In addition, acid reflux can also impact a person's health and quality of life. To prevent heartburn people often find themselves avoiding certain foods. This can impact their social lives and in turn make them withdrawing into themselves. A person's sleep can also be affected by heartburn. Hence, it is important to treat heart burn as early as possible and not wait for it to become a chronic problem.