Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Oncologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anil Kamath
Treatment of Cancer
Breast Cancer Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Breast Cancer
Treatment of Tumors
Treatment of Testicular Cancer
Treatment of Blood Cancer
Treatment of Brain Tumor
Treatment of Lung Cancer
Treatment of Colon Cancer
Treatment of Cancer Pain
Treatment of Oral Cancer
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Treatment of Liver Cancer
Treatment of Throat Cancer
Treatment of Gastric Cancer
Treatment of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Treatment of Lymphoma
Treatment of Cervical Cancer
Submit a review for Dr. Anil KamathYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
We have more than 200 bones in our body and each of them is susceptible to bone cancer. However, long bones in the arms and legs are most susceptible to this condition. Bone cancer can be primary or secondary. Primary bone cancer involves uncontrolled and abnormal cell division within the bones while secondary bone cancer refers to cancer that originated somewhere else in the body and later spread to the bones.
While children and adults are equally at risk for primary bone cancer, adults and elderly people are more susceptible to secondary bone cancer. If diagnosed early enough, bone cancer can be treated and even cured with surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.
Hence it is essential to recognize the signs and symptoms of bone cancer. Here’s what you should look out for.
- Pain in Bones: Pain is one the primary symptoms of bone cancer. As the tumour grows larger, this pain can become more intense. In its early stages, the pain may be experienced as a dull ache inside the bone or the affected part of the body. It may also increase or decrease according to your activity level or may be experienced only at night. However, not all bone pains signify ‘cancer’ as this is also a symptom associated with osteoporosis.
- Swelling: In some cases, the abnormal growth of bone cells can result in the formation of a lump of mass that may be felt through the skin. In other cases, the affected area may also show signs of swelling.
- Breaking of the Bone: Cancer can weaken the bones and make them more brittle. This may make the bones more susceptible to fractures. A bone breaking in an area that has been painful or sore for a long period of time may be a sign of cancer. This is known as a pathologic fracture.
- Reduced Flexibility: If the tumour is located near a joint, it may affect the range of movements possible and make simple actions uncomfortable. For example, a tumour around the knee may make walking and climbing stairs a painful exercise.
Other symptoms to look out for are sudden and drastic weight loss, tiredness, excessive sweating at night, fever and difficulty breathing in case cancer has spread to other organs. Since many of these symptoms are common to other medical disorders, you should consult a doctor immediately if you notice any of them. A physical examination and a couple of tests along with a biopsy will be required to confirm a diagnosis of bone cancer.
With the dawn of modern technology, the sight of robots performing a surgery is fast turning into a reality. Robotic surgery is one of the latest and greatest advancements in surgical cancer care. It is mostly sought for its unmatched levels of precision and control.
The da Vinci Robot, which is a widely used robotic surgery, employs the use of 3D modelling, touch screen controls, ultra-modern surgical attachments and other robotic tools. This surgical method is one of the greatest inventions in modern surgery that aims to provide greater control to the surgeon at all times. For patients, this means quicker recovery times, minimal scarring, lower complications and higher satisfaction.
Robotic cancer surgery can be performed under the following conditions:
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Gynaecologic cancer
- Endocrine cancer
- Lung cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
Benefits of robotic cancer surgery:
- Less scarring: The minimally invasive approach of robotic surgery contributes to minimal scarring. Instead of having a deeper incision of up to 5 or 6” on the skin, patients can have a series of small incisions or one relatively smaller incision, based on the nature of the surgery.
- Shorter hospitalization: With minimal incisions, postoperative care is speeded and pain is lessened. This surgery will not require the patients to stay for a prolonged period of time in the hospital. At the most, they tend to spend up to two nights in the hospital, if the situation demands so. As a result of this, within no time, you can get back to your normal life.
- Less drugs: With traditional surgery, typically a patient is administered a lot of painkillers to alleviate pain. However, with robotic surgeries, thanks to decreased postoperative pain after surgery, the patient will not need excessive painkillers to help them deal with pain.
- No blood loss: During traditional open surgery, patients tend to typically lose between 600cc to 1000cc of blood, depending on the area of treatment. As a result, postoperative transfusion of blood becomes a necessity. However, during robotic surgery, blood loss is usually 200cc or less and so there is no need for transfusions.
- Accuracy and precision: The 3D modelling techniques and other advanced tools employed by robotic surgery allows for better planning and accuracy, which is greatly needed in cancer surgeries. Especially in the case of prostate cancer, if the tumour is in a critical location, then a robotic surgery is handy to carry out the procedure, without damaging the important nerves of erections.
To start with, it is important to understand what palliative care exactly is?
Palliative care is specialised care provided for a patient with serious illness to relieve them of the stress and symptoms of the same. The main aim of palliative care is to improve the quality of life for the patient as well as the family.
To treat a serious illness and to care for a patient with such an illness requires time and effort. Your family and doctors may not be able to offer you the necessary care when the disease is severe and life-limiting. In such cases, palliative care proves to be quite helpful to the suffering patient.
This treatment needs specialized doctors and a team of attendants who are responsible for the betterment of the patient’s moral and mental strength. This treatment is a layer of extra protection for the patients who are severely weak.
Improves your quality of life
Palliative care aims at providing relief from pain, depression, anxiety, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, constipation, nausea and loss of appetite. It will also help in dealing with the suffering and agony that one might feel due to the illness which in turn improves your quality of life. Palliative care is required when the patients are suffering from diseases like cancer, CHF or congestive heart failure, kidney problems, Alzheimer’s diseases, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases and there are many others chronic illness like these which need extra care and protection beside regular medical treatment.
When is it required?
Palliative care is for the patients who have been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease which might or might not be cured, and thus the patient has to bear the symptoms and the stress of the disease for life time.
Palliative care helps in bringing down the stress levels, in turn, reducing the symptoms of a severe disease within.
What can be expected from Palliative care?
Besides the primary medical treatment, you can opt for palliative care for the overall improvement of the patient’s life. There are medical, emotional and other practical needs of the patients which need to be addressed in the right manner and it would be prudent to let to let a specialist take care of the same. This will not only help the patient feel better but also promote faster recovery.
Palliative care specialists work closely with patient, their doctor and the family of the patient to provide extra support. At any given point, if you feel that any of your loved ones needs palliative care, you can discuss it with the doctor and go for it. In such difficult situation, it is best to seek help and make the life easier for both the patient and the family. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Cancer occurs when the controlled mechanism of the body is not able to function properly, leading to the development and rampant growth of the malignant cells in the body. These abnormally formed cells form a mass of tissues called tumor, which result in the growth of cancer. Symptoms and signs of cancer vary depending on which part of your body is affected. The early symptoms may include fatigue, loss of weight and appetite, dark patches on the skin, unexplained joint pain or bleeding.
In majority of the cases, people are diagnosed with the disease at an advanced stage where the body fails to react to any medical treatment due to low immunity and poor resistance power. There have been many contradictions regarding the prevention of cancer. Many a time, it so happens that a specific tip on how to prevent cancer recommended by one person or is advised against by another person. All these contradictions may leave you confused and baffled thinking what to do or how to steer away from cancer.
However, the notion that making healthy lifestyle choices helps prevent cancer is widely accepted these days, with the backing of science, of course. That’s why we’re here to help you out with certain ways-
- Avoid all forms of tobacco: It is probably one of the best health decisions you can make since consumption of tobacco can cause cancer in your oral cavity or pancreas. Smoking also has adverse effects on your health and most likely affects your lungs. If you’re having difficulty in quitting cigarettes, consult a doctor for strategies and anti-smoking medications that may help you. Also, limit consumption of alcohol to maybe once or twice a week because excessive alcohol consumption can cause cancer in the liver, esophagus or larynx.
- Maintain a balanced diet: Intake of red meat and saturated fat can increase the chances of prostate and colon cancer. So reduce intake of fried and charbroiled food. Include lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and fish to your diet. Food that is rich in fiber can help reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Control your body weight: One major risk factor that may lead to cancer is obesity; so, you need to maintain a balanced weight. High-calorie foods like fat from animal sources and sugary beverages increase your body weight. Exercise or any sort of physical activity can help you reduce weight and hence lower the risk of developing prostate and colon cancer. It also helps to reduce chances of breast cancer or cancer in any reproductive organ among women.
- Avoid exposure to radiation: Ultraviolet rays and unnecessary sun exposure can cause skin cancer and melanomas, so make sure you have taken necessary precautions before stepping out. You can go for a good sunscreen with effective SPF to keep yourself protected from the harmful UV rays.
Cancer treatments can be very strenuous and emotionally draining, so the best way to fight cancer is to prevent it from the very beginning. These tips on making lifestyle changes can be very useful in preventing cancer.
Colon cancer, also known as Colorectal cancer, occurs in the rectum or the colon. Colon is the last part of the large intestine that is connected to the anus. The food which is not absorbed and not digested in the small intestine enters the colon and finally gets flushed out through the anus. As you may know, cancer occurs when your body’s control mechanism stops functioning, leading to the formation and uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. These newly-formed cells form a mass of tissue known as tumor, which results in cancer.
Colon cancer initially develops as polyps. Polyps are abnormal growth found inside the rectum or colon, which may become cancerous if not treated at an early stage.
Cancer grows in stages- gradually spreading through the mucosa, lymph nodes, and eventually affecting your lungs or liver.
1. Radiation: During a radiation therapy, powerful beams of X-ray are directed to destroy the cancerous cells and shrink large tumors before performing a surgery so that they can easily be removed from the body. It also helps in reducing the symptoms of colon cancer.
2. Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is recommended after a surgery in case the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. A standardized chemotherapy treatment uses a single or a combination of anti-cancer drugs to prevent the cancer from recurring. These are either inserted directly into your bloodstream or targeted to particular cancer sites.
3. Surgery: If you’ve been diagnosed with colon cancer in the early stage, your doctor will most likely recommend a minimally invasive approach to surgery such as-
- Colonoscopy- during which the cancerous polyps are removed.
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resurrection- during which the polyps are removed along with a small portion of the lining of the rectum or colon.
- Laparoscopic Surgery- during which an instrument attached with cameras is inserted into your body to display and monitor the colon, and multiple small incisions are made in the abdominal wall.
If the cancer has spread through or into your colon, you may have to undergo the following treatment options-
- Partial colectomy- The portion of the colon containing the cancer, along with the edge of the adjacent normal tissue is removed.
- Ostomy- This surgery is performed to create an opening in the abdominal wall for the disposal of waste products.
In case the cancer has reached an advanced stage, it can take a toll on your health as a result of low immunity. In this case, you will be recommended a surgery to relieve a blockage of the colon or underlying conditions to refine your symptoms.
Apart from these, there are a few quick-tips that you should keep in mind- visit your doctor for frequent follow-ups, switch from a high-fat, high-protein diet to a balanced healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Cancer treatment can be very strenuous and emotionally draining, so the best way to fight cancer is to prevent it from the very beginning.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Fallopian tube cancer is a rare type of cancer observed among women. It originates in the fallopian tubes which connect the uterus and the ovary. Usually the cells in our body grow and split up to replace damaged or old cells. This growth is regulated by the body, and once it has produced enough cells to substitute the old ones, normal cells stop splitting up. Problem occurs when this procedure is disrupted due to abnormal and uncontrolled growth of the cells, resulting in the formation of a mass of tissues known as a tumor.
Fallopian tube cancer occurs when an unusual or abnormal growth of the malignant cells is observed in one or both of the fallopian tubes. A majority of these cancers are papillary serous adenocarcinomas which typically originate in postmenopausal women. Although the cause behind fallopian tube cancer has not been determined yet, early symptoms include- unexplained bleeding from the vagina, white or pink discharge from the vagina, pain or swelling in the lower abdomen etc. Treatment for fallopian tube cancer depends on a number of factors such as symptoms, diagnosis, genetic and medical history, stage of the cancer. However, cancer treatments can be very strenuous and emotionally draining, so the best way to fight cancer is to prevent it from the very beginning.
If you’re diagnosed at an early age, you may be able to steer away from the cancer following these tips-
- Healthy diet- Eating healthy can reduce your chances of being affected with cancer. Consumption of adequate protein (20-30 grams per meal) and healthy fat like dairy products, fishes rich in omega 3 can help your hormones stay balanced.
- Exercise- Exercise or any sort of physical activity can optimise your hormone levels and help you reduce weight, which in turn lower the risk of obesity. It also helps reduce chances of ovarian cancer or any reproductive cancer among women.
- Managing your stress level- Stress adversely affects your hormones. Indulging in activities like yoga and meditation reduces your stress level and helps normalize the hormones responsible for causing stress. Stress is an agent that promotes inflammation in the body, a major cause of cancer. So the idea is to manage stress effectively, which in turn would lower inflammation.
- Gynecologic surgery- If you encounter any hormonal imbalance or complication, you should immediately go for a checkup. Before the condition gets worse, it is advisable to have the condition removed. If you’ve had any gynecologic surgery such as a tubal ligation or hysterectomy, there’s a good chance that you may not develop this type of cancer. Hysterectomy is a surgical procedure where the uterus or cervix is removed. Tubal ligation, on the other hand, is a method of surgically tying the fallopian tubes. In some cases where the patient is at a greater risk of developing fallopian tube cancer, the doctor may recommend removal of both the fallopian tubes and the ovary by performing salpingo-oophorectomy.
Cancer treatment can be very expensive and upsetting for the patient as well as his/her loved ones. These tips will guide you through and help you prevent cancer at the very early age.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
By far smoking is considered the most common and predictable cause of cancer. Years of study and research has established a link between the two, but what exactly gets smoking to cause cancer, still remains unknown to many people. This article talks about why and how smoking is associated with lung cancer.
How does smoking lead to lung cancer?
Cigarettes contain as many as 60 harmful chemicals such as Benzene, Polonium 210, Nicotine, Hydrogen cyanide, Carbon monoxide, Ammonia, Arsenic etc. which cause damage to the DNA cells including the genes that keep us protected against cancer. These chemicals adversely affect your lungs. The initial symptoms include wheezing and coughing, and can lead to further complications if not paid attention at an early stage.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is an inflammatory disease of the lungs which obstructs airflow resulting in respiratory troubles like emphysema and chronic bronchitis. People with COPD find it difficult to breath because of narrowed airways and damaged lung tissues.
How long does it take for smoking to cause lung cancer?
Although the initial symptoms such as a ‘smoker’s cough’ can be dismissed in the early stage, it usually takes a decade or many years of smoking to get your DNA cells damaged. Even though the human body is designed to cope with certain health problems and damage, it becomes difficult for your system to fight the harmful chemicals present in cigarettes and tobacco. Studies show that for every 15 cigarettes you smoke, your DNA undergoes change which can cause a cell to become cancerous.
According to a study by the American Lung Association, almost 80% of lung cancers result from smoking. It is most common among people over 50 years of age who have been smoking for a prolonged time. Further research studies show that life expectancy among current smokers drop by 10 years or more, while those who quit smoking at an early stage manage to survive few more years.
How to prevent lung cancer?
Now that we’ve established the link between smoking and lung cancer, the next big thing would be to prevent the risk of getting affected by it. The most effective way of preventing lung cancer is to stop smoking. Even if you have been smoking for a long time, it is never too late to quit. You may find it hard to resist smoking initially, but do not give up. Consult your doctor, ask for help. He will most likely prescribe you anti-smoking drugs like Zyban and Chantix. One alternative to anti-smoking medication is the Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). NRT helps reduce the urge for nicotine in your body by giving you a controlled amount of nicotine that is free from any of the harmful chemicals present in cigarettes.
Awareness is the key to prevention. Even if you find it hard to quit smoking, remind yourself why you made a decision to quit, of the long-term effects smoking has on your health, and how it can lead to a life-threatening condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!