Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Akilha DilipYour feedback matters!
Are you facing troubles, such as unwanted facial hair, excessive weight gain, irregular periods, and acne on face or sudden hair loss? If you are experiencing any two symptoms, you might be suffering from Poly Cystic Ovarian Disorder / Syndrome. Affecting at least 1 in 10 Indian women it is the most common issue facing us today. It is also a leading cause of infertility. Many women ignore the signs and symptoms and fail to consult specialists. PCOS can manifest in many ways- it can have a single symptom or it can be associated with many aspects.
The common signs and symptoms are:
- Irregular or absent menstrual periods.
- Heavy vaginal bleeding: As the cycle gets delayed in PCOS, the uterus lining becomes thicker (a condition known as hyperplasia). When a woman starts her periods after a long time, she can experience heavy and prolonged bleeding.
- Oily skin and acne on face and back.
- Darkening and thickening of certain areas of the skin, especially in skin folds of the neck, armpits, and groin.
- Excessive hair growth on the face, chest, abdomen, or thighs.
- Thinning of hair on the crown of the head.
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cardiovascular problems, including high cholesterol
- Multiple tiny ovarian cysts; some women with PCOS have a large number of tiny follicle cysts (visible by ultrasound) on their ovaries.
The cause of PCOS is not fully understood, but genetics may be a factor. It seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have it or have irregular periods or diabetes.
If you are experiencing any of the given symptoms, it is advisable that you consult a Gynecologist or an Endocrinologist.
PCOS on the rise in adolescents:
Adolescent PCOS is on the rise these days due to change in lifestyle, academic load and lack of physical exercise. In many girls the symptoms commence with irregular periods and weight gain, followed by hair loss and acne. It is imperative that PCOS be diagnosed early so that its secondary issues - insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease can be controlled medically.
How PCOS is diagnosed:
It can easily be diagnosed through a physical examination, simple inexpensive blood tests and most importantly an ultrasound. You should consult a Gynecologist or an Endocrinologist.
How can PCOS be prevented or controlled:
PCOS cannot be prevented but weight control is the key to prevention of metabolic syndrome at a young age. Early diagnosis and treatment can help manage the symptoms and prevent long-term problems.
Even post diagnoses exercise, diet control and adherence to medication are essential. One should also document their menstruation cycles dates for clinical aspects.
In some older women who wish to conceive surgical treatment known as laparoscopic drilling of the cysts can be done.
Subject: While taking Novelon, if I have unsafe sex, can there be pregnancy MY last menses came on 12th sep and from 4th to 10th Oct, I took Novelon tablets to prepare the period time. But on 7th, 8th and 10th and 12th Oct, I had unsafe sex and I am worried if I will get pregnant. Today is 17th oct and acc. To normal cycle, I am delayed in periods by already 5 days Pls advise if pregnancy chances are there during the time Novelon tablets are being taken? If pregnancy are there any side effect to baby Please help Me.
Hi. My query is hot milk good or bad during periods. And one more thing I recently got married and my weight is increasing, what shud I do for it?
I had sex with my gf. Before 28 days ago. And now she is complaining her periods did not came. But I had use condom. Is it possible. Or any other reason.
PCOD is a very common condition seen in women these days. Women with PCOD are more prone to developing serious health conditions. There are several causes that lead to this condition, one of the primes of them being the diet we choose and our lifestyle. Given below are some important Do’s and Don’ts to follow, for women with PCOD and for all those who would like to prevent this condition. A little extra care if taken in effectively managing our diet and lifestyle could go a long way in preventing PCOD.
- Wheat products (wheat bread, wheat pasta)
- Natural diuretic fruits
- Raw fruits (especially apple, pear etc.) and vegetables
- Oats, Corn, Butter, eggs, almonds, peanuts, pumpkin, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, mushroom, onions, peppers, spinach, vegetable oil, soya beans, apricots, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, figs, grapes, honeydew, lemon, tomato juice, kiwi fruit, pineapple, plum, raspberries, strawberries, watermelon, mango, cheese, radishes, olive oil, nuts, salmon fish, flaxseeds
- Protein rich foods
- High fiber rich food and Vit B rich food
- Opt for lean meat. Avoid chicken though, as they may be injected with male hormone to increase the muscle bulk, which would trigger PCOD
- Move to Soy products instead of milk, as milk has the tendency to increase the testosterone levels
- Include 1-2 litres of water in your diet, which avoids water retention
- Divide meals into small healthy 5-6 meals per day, instead of 3 heavy meals and never miss breakfast
- Sit –ups, push –ups
- Skipping helps you to lessen binge eating, the release of serotonin and dopamine will keep your stress levels low.
- Stress free methods such as Yoga, meditation, listening to music etc.
- All whites (Maida, white bread, pasta, etc.)
- Junk or fast foods, cakes, cookies, sweets, chocolates, soft drinks and soda, desserts etc.
- Avoid red meat, whole milk dairy, fried food, margarines
- Reduce Sodium intake, by avoiding sauces, chips, salted nuts, canned soups
- Quit smoking –as it stimulates Androgen
- Avoid alcohol
Scope of Homoeopathy in PCOD:
Homeopathic approach towards management of PCOD is constitutional, taking into account the presenting complaints along with physical, mental and genetic make-up that individualizes a person. It involves prescribing “Constitutional Medicine”, which is also capable for working on the Ovaries and the entire Endocrine system. The treatment logic varies depending on the presence of any genetic predisposition, physical makeup (obesity), peculiarities of your menstrual, etc. In Homoeopathy, medicines are given to induce ovulation in a natural way, which would improve and regularize your menstrual cycle and also helps in the prevention or minimization of cyst formation.
When someone intends to describe 'intercourse', the adjective painful is not the first thing to spring up in your mind. But more often than not, you or your partner might be suffering from a painful experience under the sheets that further complicates your relationship.
But to paraphrase, it doesn't have to be like this. If you are encountering pain on a regular basis, it is best to talk to your partner and to a doctor to get rid of the problems.
Below is a list of 6 reasons that could be responsible for a painful intercourse:
- Lack of sufficient lubrication: When the female member is turned on because of foreplay, there is an adequate amount of white mucous discharge in the vagina which works as a natural lubricant and makes penetration easy and comfortable. A lack of sufficient foreplay or a side effect of usage of medications for allergies and antidepressants might make your vagina dry which can cause pain. Also, intercourse before your menstrual periods can also facilitate the painful experience. This condition can be checked upon by usage of lubricants which will sufficiently moisturize the vagina.
- Inflammation of the bladder region can also cause pain during sex: It is recommended to urinate after sex in order to drain away the bacteria that might have entered your body during intercourse.
- Infection: Infection in the vagina, which can be denoted by the change of color in the vaginal discharge can be a reason for the pain. Also itching in the vagina (vaginitis) in case of women or infection to certain contraceptives for men can also give rise to pain.
- Inflammation of prostate gland: For males, severe pain just a few moments before ejaculation might be a result of prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland) and should be immediately diagnosed.
- Medical Conditions: If the pain during intercourse affects your whole body, then there is a possibility that the pain is a reason for some underlying serious medical condition like problems in the uterus, irritable bowel syndrome or ovarian cysts.
- Hormonal Imbalance: If you are pregnant or you have given birth just a few months back, you might feel pain during intercourse as changes in hormones during pregnancy might cause your vagina to dry up. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
Have pain in my back so much during mensuration period what to do to reduce it? Is it right to take medicines during this?
I am 43 years old. And I am having 2 children aged 17 and 14. On scanning it is known that I am having fiborids at my uterus at anterior and left lateral wall measuring 35x30 mm, 20x11mm noted in the fundus. Posterior wall shows a sub serous fibroid 14x9 mm, endometrium measures 10mm. Fibroid 12x11mm noted indenting on the endometrial lining. Right ovary measures 1. 8x1. 2 cms, left 2x1. 4. Both ovaries are normal in size and echotexture. Dr. What should I do? is it necessary to remove my uterus. Whether it can be cured with any other alternative.
Actually I got my last periods on 5th february, 2016 and then no periods in 5th march, I had sex on 13th march using condom but to be sure took I pill on 14th march within 22 hrs, got bleeding on 24th march but to a minimum till 26th march. Took pregnancy test on 29th march evening. Negative result. Am I pregnant? Please help.
As I am not virgin I like dancing too much I do dance bhangra haryanvi daily as a exercise does it loosens my vagina.
I got married 2 months ago suggest me best condom and till now i had unprotected sex with my wife are there any chances to her to get pregnant as i have emasculated outside.
Hi should I need to wait for one week to check pregnant or not. Is it safe to have sex in these days or should have sex or not. My periods is irregular. 14 march my last mensturation had come. In april my mensturation came on feb 28 but on march it came on 14. Is it there any problem . I am using the tablet normal for 2 days. So will I get pregnant. I have pcod problen for last 2 years. So please help me to get pregnant.
Hi I am taking Novelon 21 day pill from june. Missed second last doubled with the last, break of 6 days from 2-7 july. Menses from 5-7july. New pack from 8th july. Protected intercourse but condom used thrice on 9th july (first timw intercourse) Next fully protected on 14th july (last intercourse) Missed 21st july pill doubled 22nd july night. Light bleeding on 22nd july morning (breakthrough bleed or implantation bleed?) Pill ended on 28th july menses from 1-6 aug. Negative hpt at 4,5,6,7,8,11,12 weeks all negative hpt done with first morning urine with different brands. No pills or intercourse after 1-6aug. Periods due on 1st sept as it dint came did a usg and hcg beta on 8th sept (10 weeks from first and 9 weeks from last intercourse) Hcg was 0.11 and usg shows pcod (no mention of pregnancy) Dr. Prescribed deviry 2 tab for 5 days for withdrawal bleed. But after taking just a single dose bleeding started from 11-16th sept. It was heavy. On 21st sept morning when I woke up I can feel my pelvic bone in the front (can it be due to exercises like crunches leg rise etc with weight loss? I was 72 in july 70 in aug and now I am almost 68 kgs) and after continuous touching I made it hurt. Scared went for usg on 21st sept (12 weeks ftom first and 11 weeks from lasr intercourse) Usg only showed bulky ovaries with pcod. I asked him if my uterus was normal he said its absolutely normal. Usg was transabdominal. The hardness yet not gone. Moreover m fln gassy all the time and I cn feel sensation under my rib and back and m passing lots of gas. M worried too. Finally ve taken an hpt with first morning urine at almost 12 weeks 6 days. And its negative. Can their still be risk of pregnancy? My menses was due on 11th october and it is now delayed by 5 days. I did not have any intercourse after 14th july. M not experiencing any pms symptoms. Moreover egg white cervical mucus is seen at various point of the cycle and my cervix is low. If I am having ewcm I should be ovulating and my cervix should be high then why is it low. And m having ewcm throughout my cycle. And my period is late. Does it mean I ve ovulated at all? Will I wait for my periods to come or will I again take tab deviry? Is their any risk of pregnancy? Do I need to redo hpt or BHCG test? M I 100% safe? Can BHCG be wrong after 2 months and was 11-16sept my natural period?
I got married in 2014 June. We have done sex last month. My all sperm went to wife vagina. This never happened in past We thought we will get good news in this month. But we did not get good news my sperm count is 95 mil /ml. What is the reason behind that? What we can do for pregnancy?
Hi, I am 2 months pregnancy and I have big problem of vomiting and constipation. Sir please suggest.
Health Tip - Factors That Affects Immunity in Women:
Normally women tend to have a stronger immune system than men. Estrogen promotes immune response while male hormones or androgens suppress immunity. Although women are less prone to viral bacterial and fungal infections, their immune system is prone to overreact and makes them susceptible to auto immune diseases. Studies have shown that women tend to lose this immunological advantage post menopause.
To boost immunity; juggling, yoga, and balanced diet rich in nutrients is essential. Spending outdoor activities and exercises for about 20 to 30 minutes regularly in stipulated time everyday. A good night's sleep and avoiding smoking and alcohol is must. Timely vaccinations to keep flu and pneumonia helps in keeping infections away.
I am 31 weeks pregnant. My age is 34 years. I feel constant urge to urinate every time. Sometimes after every 15 mins I feel urge to urinate. This is my first child. I got married in february 2015 and in april 2015 I had a very bad urinary infection for which I was hospitalize for 3 days in mumbai. Now every time I am scared when I go to washroom that whether I am again suffering from urinary infection. I talked to my doctor for that she told me for urine test. I had urine test in september 2016 and it was fine. No infection in that. After that I feel same thing every time ie constant urge to urinate every time. Kindly help me out for that.
Doctors can you please suggest us the best time to have sex with our partner so that the chances of pregnancy can be reduced as much as possible without using protection as she has regular periods.
Am 5months pregnant feeling numbness. By normal sit also in legs and hands. And am feeling lot of heat in stomach. please refer me healthy diet.
Unwanted 72: Contraceptive Pills
Recently, I have gone through many questions regarding unwanted 72. So I take this as a point and here I have discussed about the general pill concepts n its side effects.
Unwanted 72 is a pill that is consumed orally to protect us from being conceived even after the unprotected sex. Its a" contraceptive pill" in short. Its been used as the emergency cobtraception. The pill is made up of 1.5mg of synthetic progestin, levonorgestrel.
The pill is used when there is a unplanned intercourse, failed contraception, sexual abuse, rape, incest etc. The tablet should be taken within 72 hrs of unprotected sex as the sperms that enter into the female oragasm may live upto 72 hrs.
As its a beneficial one for some people at dome time, it possess many side effects as follows.
* breast tenderness
* vaginal bleeding
* flu like symptoms
* gastric problems
However, these are the minor issues faced in routine life at times, overdoses or frequent doses of the pill may cause adverse effects which may sometimes be very chronic. These include
* ectopic pregnancy
* bleeding into ovaries
* vaginal yeast infections
* delayed mensus
* infections in ear, nose, throat
* elevated blood sugar, bp
* increased platelet count
* high heart palpitations.
So as a dietitian, I personally suggest you, the motherhood is a god given gift. Please dont reject it when he gives you. In case, your condition in health or if you face any personal difficulties in raising a kid, as it is unplanned sexual meet, then please take necessary prevention through food but not through any synthetic pills. They are good n effective but the side effects you face may shock you. The foods that prevents pregnancy are
* sesame seeds: you can have it in the form of chikkis, powders etc
* too much of vit c: excess vitamin c content may prevent from implantation of the fetus in the uterus.
* papaya: unripen papaya fruit may cause miscarriage.
These are the main foods that may prevent you from being pregnant when there is a unplanned or unprotected sex.
Dt. Vaishnavi Satheesh.