Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Adarsh Someshekar
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Bedwetting Treatment & Management
Treatment of Polio
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Treatment of Cerebral Palsy
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Sids
Treatment of Cough in Children
Treatment of Asthma in Children
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Treatment of Birth Defects
Child Nutrition Management
Treatment of Dihydrofolate Reductase Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Adarsh SomeshekarYour feedback matters!
A little more about Weaning:-
Weaning can be defined as a process where there is a gradual transition from an infant's diet to a fully grown adults diet. Weaning is considered a period of complementary feeds, which helps an infant to establish a better connection with food. Weaning can also be considered as a process of developing infants taste buds. Weaning should always be introduced after 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding (from birth to 6 months).
Since the entire process of weaning takes a lot of patience and perseverance, mothers are expected to be creative to bring the best introductions in her child's menu. It is more of a trial method for the new mum, as it helps her govern a basic taste of her tiny tot.
Below are some points which can benefit both the new mum and the baby towards effective weaning.
Points to be kept in mind for a fruitful weaning:-
- Feed only supple or soft foods:- To avoid the potential risk of choking, which can be common with the foods like apple, grapes, nuts, popcorns, The rule here to follow is to make sure that the food fed, should be soft enough to get mashed between the finger and the thumb. It becomes very important to go choke free. One can conveniently start with blends.
- Offer purees and nutrient dense meals:- Weaning should be a gradual and relishing process and purees play a vital role in resetting the overall process since they are loaded with important nutrients and are also easy to digest, they can be an ideal meal to begin for the growing infant.
- Diversify the baby's prospect as a part of growing:- Babies like to see the world as a process of constant change and learning. Including wide varieties of mild herbs like basil, turmeric in his daily weaning diet, will help in developing a stronger immune response.
- Discourage the use of salt, sugar and honey all together:- Do not encourage the use of salt and sugar till the baby turns one. They can prove to be very heavy on the baby's tiny developing system, without contributing much on a nutritional front.
- Go slow and enjoy the overall process :-Considering this period as a time of bonding with your baby, by doing so you will be able to help your baby attain a healthy, positive and fun loving rapport with the new mum and the food, which will last with the baby for rest of his life. By any sort of force feeding involved, baby can get rebellious and might never want to have food at all.
- Encourage self-feeding:- By encouraging it, the baby will eventually learn the process of self-feeding. Self-feeding will help the baby to have a better grip over fine motor grip and also help him be more independent. Self-feeding should be monitored under vigilance and allow baby learn self-feeding by himself, in spite of some futile attempts.
Weaning should be a gradual, happy and a positive process, which should be initially done at a turtle pace. It should evolve as a learning process for both mother and the baby since that will help them to establish a better understanding and connection with the food habits. Weaning can sum up to the benefit of new mum by attaining a better understanding towards baby's food preferences.
Hi my male child is 4 months old. Starting from we are feeding mothers milk. However neighbour ladies are feeding mothers milk as well as cow milk. I used to give small amount of cow milk but my child started vomit, loose motion after an hour. What to do for this? also its better to start giving ceralac or farex?
My son is 3 years old, he have mouth infection like we say mouth ulcer, every month once he get this, in that time he get fever also and also vomiting. Why he get like this?
My child have flu problem for last one week he is 3 years old his running nose vomiting stomach problem chest problem What should I do?
My daughter Anusha is 54 days old. She is spilling milk out 7 to 8 times in a day. She even takes burb after every feed and is on mothers feed. What can I do and is there an issue. I have given bonnisan 5 drops in a day but no luck.
My child (female) aged 1 year 11 months has a problem in urinating. She is not doing it for last 2 days. Please suggest me what to do?
Are there any long-term effects associated with taking ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) medications? If so, what are they and what medications are implicated? What exactly is a spine block injection? Will it work long-term for low back pain due to disc problems? What causes Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and what is the best method of treatment? Can iodine help this condition?
What are the precautions, food to be taken to give birth to a child with with more colour, brilliant, active.
When you hold your new born in your arms for the first time, you will count him or her as the greatest blessing of your life. This is also the time when you are burdened with the responsibilities of another human. The sleep patterns in new-borns are erratic and you will never see them follow any pattern as such. They sleep off just about any time of the day and you will not see any pattern until about your angel is about 6 to 7 weeks old. After that age, they get quite adaptable and you will be able to get him or her adapted to certain patterns. This will make things very easy for you and your partner.
So why won’t your baby sleep?
1. Your baby is too excited to fall asleep
Babies are a powerhouse of energy. Activities like tossing him in the air or giving him an exciting bath full of fun and frolic will probably do the opposite of winding him down. It will make him more excited and he will not want to go to bed thinking he would miss out on the other fun activities that are in store for him.
Solution: Replace the fun tickles with other activities like comforting massages or story time and lullabies. Dim the lights, cosy up the room. Make it a routine and you will find your baby easing into a deep slumber in no time.
2. Your baby is too sensitive to the external or internal environment
Every baby is not a sound sleeper. Some babies may jolt awake with just a simple nod, others may dose off amidst noise and screams as well. If your baby is of the first kind, then you may face a bunch of troubles to keep your baby calm and cosy. You may bother your baby’s sleep if your phone starts to ring around her or by the constant honking of cars outside.
Solution: Keep her surroundings as warm and comfortable as possible. Keep her in a room that is away from the bustling noise of the cars, if possible or sound proof her room. Start by dimming the lights and getting her comfortable clothes that will keep her free when she is sleeping. Keep her sheets and pillows clean and ensure they do not remain wet.
3. Your baby snacks in the middle of the night
As it was mentioned before, babies have erratic schedules. They can get hungry or cranky just about any time of the day. Mid-night snacking is probably numero uno reason as to why your baby will not fall asleep at night. If you feed your baby to sleep every time, he or she might associate it with nursing.
Solution: It is okay to train your baby to comfort itself in the middle of the night. Whenever it may think it is hungry, he or she will cry and expect you to nurse him to sleep. Put him in the nursery when he is relatively sleepy to allow him to fall asleep all by himself. You may stand by till he does, but do not swaddle him. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Pediatrician.