Doctor in Infilife Multispeciality Centre
Patient Review Highlights
MANAGE AND REVERSE YOUR DIABETES WITH INTERMITTENT FASTING
I would like to Start by Stressing this Point that
INTERMITTENT FASTING IS NOT STARVATION.
ITS ONLY A PATTERN OF EATING .
TIME OF EATING IS AS IMPORTANT AS TYPE OF EATING .
As explained in my previous posts under "Diabetes and Wellness", 90%Type 2 Diabetes is caused due to the Insulin Resistance (a condition where the body no longer responds to the Insulin produced) primarily due to certain lifestyle habits and in very few cases due to genetics.
During the Fasting period your body will initially use stored sources of glucose and also excess glycogen stored in the liver and as you continue the fasting, it will break down body fat to use as the next source of energy. Glucose and fat are main sources of energy for the body. If glucose is not available, then the body will adjust and generate energy by burning fat, without any detrimental health effects, as it is body's natural mechanism.
Thus Intermittent fasting is an incredibly powerful in normalizing glucose, improving glucose variability and is a great insulin sensitizer.
BREAKING INSULIN RESISTANCE
Reduced fasting blood glucose, Reduced post-prandial (after meal) blood glucose,Reduced glucose variability, Increased insulin sensitivity are the specific effects of Intermittent Fasting. Fasting is the most efficient and consistent strategy to decrease insulin levels and break Insulin resistance. This is now widely accepted as true through various research and findings from experiments.
All foods raise insulin, so the most effective method of reducing insulin is to avoid all foods. Blood glucose levels remain normal, as the body begins to switch over to burning fat for energy. This is What We Achieve Through Intermittent Fasting.
Intermittent Fasting in addition to lowering insulin levels, has also been shown to improve insulin sensitivity significantly. This is that vital link in the weight loss trade-off point. Most Diets only reduce highly insulin-secreting foods, but do not address the insulin resistance issue. Weight is initially lost, but insulin resistance keeps insulin levels and Body Set Weight high.
Intermittent Fasting and Low Carbohydrate, breaks the insulin resistance.
Iam implementing intermittent fasting and low carbohydrate diet for selected diabetic patients in my practice, and as a result, patients start to lose weight as well and several have already gone off all diabetic medications.
In My Subsequent Postings under this campaign, I will address types of Intermittent Fasting and Diet Principles to Follow while practicing Intermittent Fasting and How to Practice Intermittent Fasting, Why It should be done under Supervision or Directive of a Doctor.
Dr. Vishwanath BL (MD)
Therapeutic Fasting and Wellness Expert
Diabetes and Obesity Specialist
Wellness Speaker and Healthcare Entrepreneur
#DiabetesCure #IF #IntermittentFasting
I am suffering from dry cough for last 3 months. I got X-ray CT Scan all reports are normal. I used to smoke for 3 years but then I left 1 years back. Any suggestion how to treat this cough. I have itchy throat and I cough. I have to clear my throat often. I have chest tightness sometimes and irritating throat.
Nature and wellness
Horse gram - the miracle pulse
(hurali bele in kannada, ulvalu in telugu, kollu in tamil, muthira in malayalam, kulthi in hindi)
Horse gram which is a pulse crop native to the south-east asian subcontinent, is widely cultivated and consumed in india since the ancient times and is also fed to race-horses because of its miraculous nutritional profile.
Let us understand more about this pulse.
- It is one of the richest vegetarian sources for protein, high on calcium and iron, low on lipid (fat) and low on sodium.
- Raw horse gram is rich in polyphenols, flavonoids which are major anti-oxidants. In other words, it can keep your body young and vibrant. Raw horse gram has the ability to reduce high blood sugar following a meal, by slowing down carbohydrate digestion and reducing insulin resistance (which is the primary triggering factor for type 2 diabetes). This was also scientifically validated by the indian institute of chemical technology.
- This makes horse gram an extremely diabetic friendly pulse to consume.
- Also being rich in calcium and iron, it is an excellent staple pulse for ladies especially pregnant ladies. Being low on sodium, this is a safe pulse to be consumed by people with varying blood pressure.
- The polyphenols in the seeds help to reduce excessive weight
- And lower cholesterol levels in the body when consumed adequately.
- Hence horse gram is an excellent choice of pulse for people managing obesity and related issues.
- In my subsequent postings on horse gram I will address many other medicinal facets of horse gram and what are the ways it can be used and consumed.
- Horse gram is really a miraculous pulse, we should include it in our diet without a doubt.
Obesity and wellness
How obesity could lead to increased risk of cancer?
Local inflammation or organ inflammation
People who are obese are more likely than normal weight individuals to develop chronic local inflammation affecting organs which over time can cause dna damage and lead to organ cancers.
Insulin and cancer
People who are obese over time are often found to have increased blood levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (igf-1). High levels of insulin and igf-1 may promote the development of colon, kidney, prostate, and other endometrial cancers. Insulin resistance due to obesity is a risk factor cancer.
Hormones play havoc
Fat cells produce what are called as adipokines, which are hormones that may stimulate or inhibit cell growth. An adipokine called leptin, which is responsible for promoting controlled cell proliferation in the blood increases with increasing body fat which could over time trigger uncontrolled cell proliferation.
Higher amounts of estrogen produced by fat tissue, can drive the development of some cancers, such as breast and endometrial cancers
Here are the immediate steps to be taken by people who have been obese for over years now to reduce risk of cancer.
1. Immediately stop consumption of any processed food (processed dairy derivatives, processed cold storage food, canned food, sodas, ready to eat packs, instant noodles all fast food).
2. Your diet should consist of green leafy vegetables as they have anti-carcinogenic and blood purification properties, pules bell peppers, broccoli, sweet potato and peanuts for balanced intake of proteins, healthy fat which is essential for regulated cell functioning and complex carbohydrate rich in nutrients. Depending upon your metabolic type it is always better to develop a diet that best suites you in consultation with your nutritionist.
3. Add turmeric to your daily diet, (anti-inflammatory properties) refer to my postings on turmeric to have a complete understanding of how it helps and simple every day recipes to include turmeric into your diet.
4. Stop using processed oils for making your dishes and start using virgin coconut oil or virgin olive oil
5. Go for 21 days (minimum) detoxification program by carving out a diet (completely natural diet) that will flush out oxidants, toxins from the body.
6. Periodic fasting helps in reducing obesity as well as decreasing the risk of cancers.
This when followed consistently for at least 2 months, will reduce the risk of cancer in people who are obese for over years now. Consequently it is required to make certain lifestyle changes a must and a priority through out your life. You could refer to my previous postings on obesity for this.
I am got addicted from masturbation. I am doing masturbation 3-4 times in a day. So please help me how can I leave from this addiction.
Diabetes and wellness
Some myths sourrounding diabetes
1. Rice is bad for diabetics â not true
A) white rice: highly refined, less fibre, less vitamins due to polishing. Not good for diabetes
B) brown and red rice: good fibre content high vitamin and mineral content. Good for diabetes, small quantity is better
C) black rice: once upon a time consumed by only royal family of china. Its rich in antioxidant anthocyanine, fibre and minerals. Good for consumption.
2. Six meals are better than three meals â not true
Eating frequently puts a strain on pancreas because it is not given a gap to produce and store insulin, if you do not have an active lifestyle. If you are working out regularly, then eating 6 times a day as per your physician / dietician advice would be best.
3. Fasting is not good for diabetes â not true
Intermittent fasting on the advice of the doctor and under supervision.
Medications dose need to be adjusted depending on the time of fasting.
A. Improved insulin sensitivity
B. Lowered triglycerides
C. Weight loss
D. Normalises prediabetes.
E. In some cases, can help in reversal of diabetes
Intermittent fasting is the best dietary intervention for prediabetes or borderline diabetes.
4. Diabetes is a chronic progressive disease â not true
Type 2 diabetes although widely believed to be a chronic progressive disease, is reversible in many cases.
5. Insulin is needed only in later stage and severe diabetes â not true
A recent study suggested that insulin is a good choice if a personâs hba1c levels remain above 8% while only on oral tablets, i. E, even within 3-4 months of diagnosis.
6. Diabetes canât be reversed â not true
Many cases of type 2 diabetes can be reversed by conforming to diet, right exercise, appropriate dietary interventions like low carbohydrate diet and intermittent fasting, adequate sleep, and managing stress through practices like meditation and yoga.