Doctor in Ashok Clinic
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Ashok ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Is there a relation between weight loss surgery and type 2 diabetes? Yes, there is and a very promising one. Many diabetics may not know this but a key hole procedure called metabolic/ bariatric surgery can help resolve type 2 diabetes.
It’s scientifically proven that these surgeries can normalize blood sugar levels and control diabetes in most patients. This means that you may not need any medicines post such a surgery. One long-term study which tracked 400 people with type 2 diabetes showed that six years after bariatric surgery, 62% diabetics showed normal blood sugar levels. Apart from this, they also showed better blood pressure, cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels that can cause heart disease.
Should you get a metabolic/bariatric surgery done? You are a fit candidate for bariatric surgery if your:
- BMI is 27.5 or higher
- And if are finding it difficult to maintain blood sugar with medicines & lifestyle changes.
Your doctor will give you a physical exam to check whether you are fit for a major surgery and if you are emotionally ready to commit to necessary lifestyle changes like eating healthy and exercising regularly.
The most popular type of weight loss surgery is one in which the size of your stomach is reduced so that you feel full even after small meals. Other types of bariatric surgeries change the way your body absorbs calories and nutrients and vitamins. A few other types of bariatric surgeries do both.
- Gastric Bypass: In this surgery, your surgeon makes a small stomach pouch by dividing the top of the stomach from the rest. This small pouch is connected to intestine so other part of stomach is bypassed. So, when you eat, food goes into this small pouch, which makes you feel full faster and also makes it possible for your body to absorb fewer calories. This is a very promising type of bariatric surgery for diabetics as up to 80% of people have normal blood sugar after it. And they also lose 60% to 80% of their extra weight on an average.
- Gastric Sleeve: In this surgery, your surgeon will remove a major part of your stomach. When your stomach is small, you will feel full faster. It also reduces hunger pangs. This type of surgery is also very effective in reducing diabetes and losing weight.
- Adjustable Gastric Band: In this surgery, your surgeon puts an inflatable band around the top of your stomach. This forms a small pouch which makes you feel full faster. The good point is that your stomach is not cut and your intestines are not shifted. There are thus lesser complications. It also helps in controlling diabetes. The con is that you lose less weight in this type of surgery.
- Biliopancreatic Diversion: This is an uncommon surgery but most effective for diabetics. In this the doctor removes a large part of your stomach and also changes the way the food goes to your intestines. This helps in losing weight but also affects digestion long term.
In an age where robots are the next big step into the future, robot-assisted surgeries are gradually on the rise. While the very thought of a robot operating on you can be slightly uncomfortable, this technique is medically proven to be of great use.
For patients suffering from end-stage renal disease, Robot-Assisted Kidney Transplant or ‘RAKT’ is the most preferred mode of treatment. It requires high-end facilities but is way more advanced than open surgeries.
What is the Method used in Robot-Assisted Kidney Transplant?
Unlike open surgery, the incision made in this process is minimal (approx 7cm). Robotic arms having human-like fingers and movements are used to remove the damaged organ and install the donor’s kidney into the abdominal cavity. Out of all the robotic arms, one holds a camera which gives a clear 3D view of the operation site. All these processes are controlled by a highly expert surgeon from the console of a computer. The surgeon uses his skills to control and manipulate the movements of the robot and make detailed incisions.
Robotic transplant of the kidney has many advantages over the conventional surgical method.
• The robotic hands are able to make better and précised incisions compared to a human. This is especially useful when the operation site is narrow and requires a smooth dissection.
• For patients who have reached the final stage of renal disorders, traditional open surgery may not be very successful. In that case, RAKT is a better solution that increases the chances of survival.
• This technique is safer for obese patients for whom open surgery is not applicable.
• In the robotic transplant method, there is minimal blood loss and scarring.
• The recovery period is short.
• Possibilities of postoperative complications are reduced.
Risks of a Robot Assisted Transplant:
There are certain risks associated with this kind of machine-dependent process –
• The possibility of damage to nearby organs.
• Development of a hernia.
• Trapping of excess carbon dioxide in the abdomen.
• Nerve compression.
However, there are no fatal consequences of a robotic kidney transplant.
Things to Remember before Opting for a Robotic Kidney Transplant:
Before undergoing such a procedure you should carefully consider the following points –
• Choose a hospital with high-end robotic facilities and latest technology lab.
• Since a highly expert surgeon is required for this operation, make sure to check the success rate of the surgeries performed by him.
The trend of getting robotic kidney transplant has become prevalent in India with successful operations taking place in Delhi, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Acidity is an extremely common condition that mostly affects people who consume spicy, oily foods and/or alcohol. Acidity occurs due to excess production of acids in the stomach. Normally, the food we consume passes down the oesophagus into the stomach. The gastric glands produce the acid that helps in digestion. Acidity occurs when excess or a large amount of acid is produced in the stomach. This condition is caused due to factors like poor eating habits, irregular lifestyle, lack of physical activities etc.
Acidity often leads to other stomach disorders like-
- Esophagitis- When the acid in your stomach repeatedly comes in contact with the oesophageal lining, it causes injury including ulcers.
- Barrett’s oesophagus- Damage from acidity causes abnormal changes in the lining of the oesophagus. The cells that are normally found in the lining of the oesophagus get replaced with similar cells not found in the esophagus. This condition is found in about 10% of the people who have chronic Gastroesophageal Reflex Disease (GERD), more commonly known as the acid reflux disorder.
- Gastritis- This occurs when the stomach lining becomes swollen or inflamed. This condition can last for a short span of time or can last for even years.
When anything goes wrong with your stomach or digestive system, it’s a clear indication that something is inherently out of order and that your body needs instant help. Homeopathy cures both acidity and other stomach problems. This branch of medicine uses natural remedies that not only help you get rid of stomach disorders, but also eliminates the factors causing such conditions from their roots. The most common drugs used for treating acidity and related stomach disorders are- Nux vomica, Arsenicum album, Natrum carbonicum. These help reduce symptoms like heartburn, indigestion, burning sensation, abdominal pain and chest pain. Homeopathy medications have zero side effects and are completely safe. Moreover, the natural substances used in homeopathic treatment benefit your health immensely in the long run.
Digestive problems or stomach disorders can affect any person irrespective of age. Conditions like acidity or acid reflux can be short-term or persistent. Since NSAIDs and other conventional medicines often trigger further complications, it is always advisable to go for safe, natural avenues of treatment such as homeopathy.
A burn scar on your skin does not only spoil your appearance but also hampers your self-confidence. You can undertake plastic surgery in order to eliminate burn scars and burn marks. Burn reconstruction surgery is an effective way to fix any previous or fresh burn scars. Although a burn scar cannot be totally eliminated, this surgery helps in improving basic functions and makes the scar less prominent or noticeable.
About Burn Reconstruction Surgery: There are two types of burn reconstruction surgeries. An acute burn surgery is carried out immediately after a burn injury has been inflicted. It is undertaken in a hospital by a team of surgeons who specialize in acute burn reconstruction surgeries.
A reconstructive burn surgery is usually carried out after the initial burn scar heals. Reconstructive burn surgery aims at improving both the functional appearance and the cosmetic appearance of a burn scar. This form of burn surgery incorporates the modification of the scar tissue. The treatment procedure for scar tissues requires several months to be successful. New scar contractures may appear for a long time after an injury. Facial burn scars, which cause problems with the eyes, lips, nose and cause hair loss can be rectified. Abnormally thick, white and discoloured scars can also be lightened by undergoing a burn reconstruction surgery.
Procedure: The surgical procedure for burn reconstruction surgery primarily involves scar release methods. After a tight scar has been released, the opening or incision made in the skin is repaired. Several techniques are applied for the purpose of closing the wounds. These include skin grafts and skin rearrangement or Z-plasty. Sometimes, more advanced flaps are required. This depends on the location of the scar and the desired results. Minor procedures are performed in the form of outpatient surgery, but in case of larger grafts and flaps, inpatient facility is required.
Tissue expander also plays a vital role in burn reconstruction procdure. This process stretches the skin and tissue, preparing the area for the final reconstructive procedures.
After undergoing the surgery, you must follow your surgeon's care instructions properly for effective healing. This would also enable you to have a long-term effect and improved appearance of burn scars. Follow-up appointments with your surgeon after the surgery are essential.
Before deciding on undergoing a burn reconstruction surgery, you must consult an efficient cosmetic surgeon and discuss the surgical procedure. You should know all the important facts regarding the surgery and also have an idea about the results which would be obtained. Non-surgical therapies can also be undertaken for repairing burn scars, which include scar massage, application of pressure garments and some other topical therapies.
Autism is a condition that afflicts many children around the globe and continues well into adulthood, with far-ranging and lifelong repercussions. While there is no permanent cure for this debilitating condition, one can turn to a number of treatments and management methods in order to take care of the symptoms and suppress the onset of the same. Let us find out more about the causes of the condition as well as the diagnosis, diet and homeopathic treatment for the same:
This is a neurological disease that children are usually born with. It may arise due to genetic or environmental factors. This is a complex ailment that has a bearing on the social and communication skills of the child and it affects his/her development as the child grows into an adult. Intake of drugs and other kinds of harmful medications during pregnancy are the most notable causes of this disease, while a faulty carrier gene could also bring on this condition in many cases. Exposure to many kinds of chemicals may also lead to the onset of this condition.
While there are no lab tests that can determine the presence of this condition, doctors usually conduct the diagnosis on the basis of the symptoms, including constant tantrums, repetition of words as well as slurring, and over sensitivity towards pain. Further, a clinical evaluation based on the milestones touched by the child in the development process will also be studied carefully in order to make the right diagnosis. Screening tests can help determine the presence of this condition.
Diet & Management -
There is a large body of medical practitioners who hold the belief that the diet of a patient can have a large bearing on how he or she reacts to autism and its symptoms. As per many medical studies, it is known that these patients are not able to digest gluten and casein very well, which is why they should eliminate the same from their diet. Therefore, the patients must stick to gluten-free food like rice, vegetables, corn, soy and even fruits. Further, they should even try to avoid casein-rich food like dairy.
Homeopathic Treatment -
These medicines should always be prescribed by a doctor. There are several types of medicines available to treat and manage the symptoms, especially if they arise due to genetic reasons. These may be prescribed for a period of six months to one year at a time, depending on the severity of the symptoms.
The Houston Homeopathy Method has been known to give relief to over hundreds of children suffering from this ailment. Constitutional homeopathy can also be used in such cases so as to bring some respite from the symptoms. Some of the most effective Homeopathic medicines for curing Autism are Stramonium, Tarentula hispanica, Calcarea carbonica, Natrum muriaticum and Carcinosinum.
The spinal cord houses the most important nerves in the body. Therefore, any disease or disorder affecting the area can be difficult to manage and live with. A spinal cord tumour is a common occurrence and makes life difficult for patients. However, the treatment for tumours on the spinal cord differs based on the region that it affects and other factors.
Types of spinal cord tumours:
Tumours near the spine region can be classified into three types, based on the area that it grows.
• Inside the spinal cord - When a tumour grows inside the spinal cord, it is known as intramedullary. These types of tumours are the rarest. If a tumour affects your cervical spinal cord, it is likely to be intramedullary.
• Outside the spinal cord - A tumour may also grow outside the spinal cord, but still be inside the sac protecting the cord. This kind of spinal tumours is known as intradural/extramedullary.
• Outside the protective sac of the spinal cord - Lastly, the tumour may grow just outside the protective sac of the spinal cord. This is the most common type of a spinal tumour and is known as extradural. A tumour in this region can be malignant or benign.
Symptoms of spinal tumours:
Spine tumours may be difficult to diagnose because the associated symptoms are easily mistaken as other minor disorders or conditions. Here are some common symptoms of a spinal tumour-
• Extreme back pain is common for spinal tumours. This pain grows worse at night. Patients are unable to find relief from the pain even after rest.
• Numbness in the legs and arms
• Inability to walk or severe difficulty in certain movements
• Reduced sensitivity to stimuli, such as pain, heat and cold
• Loss of bowel and bladder control
Treatment for a tumour depends on the kind of a tumour that affects the patient along with the region of growth. Some tumours may not cause any major difficulty in your quality of life. Doctors will recommend monitoring the growth in such a case. Treatment may not be needed.
In the case of benign tumours, surgery is recommended.
• Surgery - This is the most common form of treatment for benign tumours. If the doctor feels that a tumour is at a location where he/she can perform a safe surgical procedure to remove it, surgery is the best treatment option. However, such surgery can lead to minimal nerve damage.
In the case of cancerous tumours, the treatment is different.
• Radiation therapy - Radiation therapy is necessary to destroy the cancer cells in a tumour. Generally, radiation therapy is useful in cases, where surgery is impossible, due to the location of a tumour.
• Chemotherapy - Doctors may use medications to limit the growth of cancer. In such a case, the drugs help put your cancer in remission. However, the side effects of chemotherapy are severe.
If you experience back pain, visit your doctor. It may be spinal cord cancer. Early detection greatly helps in the treatment of the disease.
Fever is a common medical sign that is generated by the body to a varied level of infection and other conditions. It results from the elevated temperature of the body due to the body’s thermostat getting reset to a higher than normal temperature. It is a defence mechanism of the body to fight against external microbes. It is not a disease but a symptom of a disease that the body is fighting against.
Temperature variation of fever:
There is no absolute value of body temperature which is defined as fever. However, the below-mentioned temperatures are generally accepted as a condition of fever:
- Rectal temperature of more than 38 degrees centigrade
- Oral temperature of more than 37.8 degrees centigrade
- Armpit temperature of more than 37.2-degree centigrade
- Ear temperature of more than 38-degree centigrade
- Forehead temperature of more than 38-degree centigrade
- Continuous fever: This is a condition where the body temperature is above normal for more than 24 hours and temperature fluctuation is not more than 1-degree centigrade. Continuous fever is observed in diseases such as typhoid, typhus, infective endocarditis and pneumonia.
- Remittent fever: Remittent fever refers to a condition where the body temperature constantly remains more than normal for 24 hours. The temperature fluctuation is not more than 2-degree centigrade. This kind of fever is observed in diseases such as infective endocarditis and typhoid.
- Intermittent fever: This is a condition where the body temperature rises for a few hours a day and comes down to normal for the rest of the day. The spike in temperature has a repetitive pattern and is visible in diseases such as malaria, septicemia, and pyemia.
- Septic fever: This is a condition which is characterised by an extremely high fever that refuses to come down to normal and has hardly any fluctuation. This condition should be immediately addressed by a doctor to ensure further deteriorating of the physical health of a patient.
- Pel-Ebstein fever: This condition is characterised by recurrent bouts of body temperature. It might take up to 3 days for the temperature to rise, it maintains the temperature for the next 3 days and gradually comes down over the next 3 days. The total cycle continues for 9 days.
- Periodic fevers: This is the kind of fever which can last up to a few days to few weeks followed by a symptom-free period of a fixed interval. This fever has a particular pattern and is mostly witnessed in patients suffering from diseases such as stills disease, Crohn's disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. Certain other conditions such as hyper-IgD syndrome and Mediterranean Fever can also result in this condition.
Asthma is a distressing condition during which people find it difficult to breathe as the bronchi or tubes carrying air to lungs swell up. This happens when mucus inside bronchi comes into contact with an allergen like a pollutant or dirt causing symptoms like wheezing, coughing, more mucus production and difficulty breathing. There is no cure for asthma. As of now, it can only be managed. But managing asthma becomes really difficult during low air quality days, especially during winters when it’s cold and dry.
The most common air pollutants are gases like sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, vehicle smoke, and suspended particles. Each one of them can trigger an asthma attack by itself because of its deleterious effect on the lungs. The smaller the particulate matter is, the more dangerous it becomes as these particles get lodged in the air sacs inside the lungs, causing not just asthma from worsening but also fatal diseases like lung cancer.
So, most asthma patients suffer from frequent attacks due to air pollution. How can these attacks be prevented? Here are some tips:
- According to research, asthma can be managed by making modifications in everyday life. On high air pollution days due to ozone, for example, asthmatics tend to experience more lung inflammation. If you are an asthmatic, you should reduce the time spent outdoors, especially doing strenuous activity in the mornings and evenings. Keeping medications on hand and using those at the very start of an asthma attack also helps. There should always be a plan in place to lessen the chance of an asthma attack on poor air quality days starting from a rescue inhaler to preventive medication if your doctor feels you need it.
- Stay hydrated and breathe through the nose. Dehydration is dangerous for asthmatics especially when air quality is bad. In this case, lungs can become badly affected because they need the right temperature and levels of water to work properly. It’s crucial to breathe through the nose only and not the mouth as the air breathed in from the mouth can be very cold and dry and can cause even more inflammation of the lungs.
- Know your asthma triggers and change lifestyle. Avoiding your triggers is key to managing asthma. If traffic fumes are a trigger, it’s best to change the route you take to work to manage your asthma. If you don’t know your triggers look back at your last asthma attack and remember what you were doing. Did you pet your dog? Write a diary and discuss with your doctor on how to avoid your triggers. Use a face mask when outdoors to limit exposure to allergens.
- Track your asthma to recognize early signs of asthma. If you know that it’s getting worse, you should have a fool-proof plan in place.
Vitamin D is a crucial vitamin that is soluble in fat. Vitamin D is essential for the growth of your bone and it ensures increased flow of calcium into your bloodstream by promoting the process of its absorption from the consumed food. Poor concentration of vitamin D may result in the development of rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults. Vitamin D is important in maintaining the immunity of your system; deficiency of vitamin D gives rise to a number of health problems including cardiac disorders, arthritis, hypertension, diabetes and even cancer.
Daily exposure to mild sunlight helps to synthesize Vitamin D in body. Dietary sources include milk, cod liver oils, fish, meat, fortified dairy and food products. The most reliable way to diagnose the deficiency of vitamin D is through blood test; it is the most effective method of measuring the level of vitamin D in your blood.
The following are some dominant symptoms of vitamin D deficiency:
- Influenza: According to studies, vitamin D acts a guard against the attack of a number of respiratory infections which are widespread in children. Hence, lack of vitamin D in children is responsible for the development of various respiratory tract infections and diseases.
- Depression and Schizophrenia: The root cause of depression and various other psychiatric disorders have been linked to deficiency in vitamin D. It is extremely important for expecting mothers to maintain a sufficient level of vitamin D in their body, during the gestation period to reduce the risk of delayed brain development and other mental ailments in the new born babies.
- Cardiovascular disease: Cardiovascular ailments are more prevalent among people, who tend to suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Patients who suffer from cardiac discomfort have responded well to vitamin D treatment.
- Asthma: Intake of vitamin D supplements reduces the severity and discomforts that are associated with asthma and have also shown considerable reduction in the occurrence of asthma attacks.
- Periodontal disorders: Lack of vitamin D may result in the formation of numerous harmful bacteria in your mouth and may give rise to several oral discomforts in form of painful gum inflammation, bleeding and loss of tooth. Vitamin D aids in the formation of cathelicidins and defensins, which are effective in maintaining the overall oral health.
- Cancer: Types of cancer including prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer are linked with Vitamin D deficiency. Supplements of vitamin D are helpful in controlling the growth and development of breast cancer, especially the estrogen sensitive breast cancer.
Premature ejaculation is a form of disorder that commonly occurs in male. The normal ejaculation period for a normal male ranges from 6 - 8 minutes. The intra vaginal latency time may last for minimum of two minutes, but if this goes less than two minutes then this condition is diagnosed as premature ejaculation. Premature ejaculation is common in adults for various reason and it often causes problems in a relationship.
Overcoming premature ejaculation requires more of psychological changes and treatment than physical treatment:
- Practice the simple exercise to gain control over your ejaculation. Masturbate and stop before the final stage of the feel to ejaculate. Stop masturbating and divert yourself with any other thoughts of your likes. This relaxing time may last for even 5 minutes. Continue masturbation after five minutes and ejaculate the collected semen this allows your penis to improve the control over ejaculation.
- Practice Kegel exercise regularly. Many doctors have seen improvement in their patient’s condition with the regular use of this exercise. This gradually increases the intra vaginal latency period for more than two minutes.
- Talk with your partner and work together to solve the problem.
- Condom usage may cause less stimulation effect to the penis thus, reduces the ejaculation time. This helps the male with premature ejaculation to increase the ejaculation time. It is much better if you prefer thicker condoms
- Reduction in the friction may cause less stimulation to the penis. So trying to use more lubricant helps for male with premature ejaculation. But some partners may feel reduction in their satisfaction level with this increased use of lubricant.
- Orgasm within 24 hours helps to increase the ejaculation time. Masturbate in the morning and be with your partner in night for a long period of intra vaginal latency time.
- Using refractory period. Relaxation after one sexual attempt is the refractory period. For those males with premature ejaculation they can use this period and make the second erection at earlier time and start with the second sexual act which may last for longer time. As this idea may be difficult for many individual there are people who have experienced positive results of using this in overcoming premature ejaculation.