Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Gulneer Puri
Submit a review for Dr. Gulneer PuriYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Gulneer Puri provides answers that are knowledgeable. Thanks for reaching out. Your advice is highly appreciated. I will try to do the same as you told.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Gulneer Puri to be very helpful. Thank u madam
Dear sir, I am 22 year old boy, my height is 162 cm and my weight is 68 kg, I want join the gym please tell me which is the right time to do gym, either in morning or evening.
Hello, My recent report suggests that iron in my body is very low, just 25. Please suggest how serious is this and the remedy to cover the shortcomings?
Hypothyroidism is a condition of the thyroid which is a butterfly shaped gland located at the middle portion of the lower neck. This gland produces tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) – the two primary hormones that regulates how the body cells utilize energy. The thyroid gland adjusts this metabolism through the release of these hormones.
Hypothyroidism is the condition when the thyroid gland becomes underactive and produces less amount of hormone thyroxin i.e T3, T4 or both.
Causes of Hypothyroidism-
There are various reasons, which cause Hypothyroidism, one of them being the Hashimoto’s Disease, or chronic lymphocytic thyroditis, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid gland or its cell by causing- chronic thyroid inflammation- and reduces the proper functioning of the thyroid glands. Often with a genetic link, this disease occurs more among women than men.
Other causes include-
- Deficiency of iodine in the body
- Inflammation of the thyroid
- Some babies are born with defective thyroid gland or no gland at all and have congenial hypothyroidism at birth
- The failure of the pituitary gland to secrete enough Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Hypo-metabolic rate caused due to lower amounts of T3, T4 in the body increases the severity of the condition, with symptoms that vary from person to person. Often these symptoms are difficult to identify. These include weight gain and fatigue. Other symptoms include-
- Sensitive to cold
- Dry skin conditions
- Muscle weakness
- High heat tolerance
- High blood cholesterol levels
- Thinning of hair
- Slow heart rate
- Stiffness of joints, muscles and aches
- Impaired memory
- Changes in the menstrual cycle and infertility
- Puffy face and sensitive skin
Hypothyroidism – a disease of growing concern
Did you know that thyroid disorders can manifest into depression and anxiety? An underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism can cause fatigue and loss of concentration, leading to depression and other abnormalities. Imbalance in thyroid stimulating hormones cause frequent mood swings related to emotion and cognition. It also affects the menstrual cycle such as premenstrual syndrome or PMS, perimenopause and menopause. 1 in every 4 patients who suffer from hypothyroidism are known to have depression.
Today an estimated 42 million people in India suffer from thyroid disorder and about 60% are unaware of their condition.
Complications of Hypothyroidism-
- Hypothyroidism can lead to accelerated risks of heart disease, because of high levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol which results in underactive thyroid. This can lead to a premature death from a sudden cardiac arrest.
- Long term untreated hypothyroidism causes peripheral neuropathy or damage to the peripheral nerves in which you slowly lose muscle control and suffer from numbness, tingling and pain.
- Undiagnosed hypothyroidism also causes a life threatening disease called myxedema. Sometimes you go into a coma when you need emergency treatment.
- A low thyroid level in the body interferes with ovulation and weakens the chances of fertility. It also causes defects during childbirth.
I want to gain weight. I am too skinny, I eat a lot but it is not helping me, besides I do workout daily, almost 6 kilometres of walk and a basketball match twice a week.
I am taking healthy foods and going for exercise still I am not able to loose weight .can you suggest something.
I'm 38 years old (male). Weight is 84 kg. Doing walking 3 kms 5 days in week. Need quick tips on weight reduction.
Your body cannot sustain without food and nutrition because it needs to be productive and healthy. What you consume on a daily basis will determine how your health will be in the present and future. But the current generation, despite knowing so much about healthy eating follow extremely unhealthy diets. One of the biggest reasons why the young generation has such unhealthy food habits is because they are busy almost all the time and this serves as an excuse for not having proper meals.
The percentage of young people eating unhealthy food has risen by 35% and overall obesity by 44%. The kind of food you put in your body when you are young will mostly stay on for the rest of your life. So, it is incredibly important to follow a healthy and nutritious diet.
Complications and dangers due to lack of good nutrition
Lack of poor nutrition translates into making your body vulnerable to a host of illnesses. It will greatly affect your overall health and lead to a lot of health complications which you may not be able to undo once you get older. Some of the health risks are:
- Type-2 diabetes
- Weak teeth and tooth decay
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Inflated blood pressure
- Increase in cholesterol level
- Bone decay leading to osteoporosis
- Eating disorders such as bulimia, anorexia, pica, rumination and binge-eating disorder
- Acidity or heartburn
- Improper sleep
- Long standing ailments such as arthritis and cancer
Why following a nutritious diet is beneficial for you?
Following a healthy diet can go a long way in ensuring that you stay in optimal health not just when you are young but also when you get older. What you consume today will have a direct effect on your body in the future. Some of the benefits of a nutritious diet are:
- Immune system- Good diet will strengthen your immune system, which in turn means you, will have to deal with less illnesses. Consuming proper amounts of vitamins B, C, E, A, iron, selenium and zinc helps a lot in ensuring this. You will feel stronger and healthier and will have a lot energy.
- Healthy and strong teeth and bones- Calcium is an ingredient that helps in maintaining, developing and having strong teeth and bone health. You can get calcium not just from dairy products but also from fruit juices, salmon, sardines, broccoli, soya products and kale. Vitamin D rich foods like fish oils can also give you a lot of calcium since this type of vitamin helps in your body in absorbing calcium.
- Lowers risk of type-2 diabetes- Eating high-fibre and low-fat foods contribute towards decreasing your risks of getting type-3 diabetes and also helps in preserving a healthy weight and BMI (Body Mass Index).
- Management of weight- Having a lot of fruits, vegetables, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and healthy fats helps in controlling your weight. Having nutrient-rich food keep you full and stops you from binging on things that are high in sugar and fats.
- Cardiac health- Fishes like salmon, hilsa, anchovies etc., filled with omega-3 fatty acids are heavily beneficial for ensuring a healthy heart. These foods also cuts down the risks of heart disease. Apart from oily fishes, low-fat milk products and fruits and vegetables also help in keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure in check.
No matter how much you exercise, nothing can substitute a good and nutritious diet because as you get older you may not be able to work out but if you follow a proper diet, it will ensure that you stay in good health and good spirits. You can have junk food once in a while, but always remember that a good diet will always enrich your life and health.