Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Amritsar. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Gittika Sharma
Submit a review for Dr. Gittika SharmaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Gittika Sharma provides answers that are saved my life and very helpful. Thanqqq mam
Thanks to Dr Gittika Sharma for giving me perfect advice. Even though the problem was not so big, but still the other doctors were not able to treat it. One of my colleague referred Gittika Sharma, then I consulted her. I have consulted so many doctors , but no one was able to solve my female sexual problems. The nurses at the Fortis Escorts Hospital were really helpful. In the very first sitting, Dr Gittika Sharma clearly told us the problem and the what the treatment procedure will be in future.
. Gittika Sharma guidance has helped me immensely and has helped gain confidence. the overall atmosphere in the Fortis Escorts Hospital is very soothing. One of my colleague referred Gittika Sharma. she ensures that she gives enough time to each patient. In order to diagnose my problem completely she asked me a number of questions. Even though my problem was very big, the entire experience of undergoing breast examination was very relaxing.
She is one of the best gynaecologists in city. Dr Sharma has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes her reference. Due to the insemination treatment given by her i am blessed with a baby girl. I am so happy with the results of my treatment, that I will surely recommend Gittika Sharma to anyone gladly. The overall cleanliness in the Fortis Escorts Hospital was amazing.
Gittika Sharma has so much knowledge that for my infertility problem I took her reference. She did my intra-uterine insemination (iui).I had lost hope, but the treatment given by her has helped me regain my confidence. It was an amazing experience as everyone in the Fortis Escorts Hospital is so nice. The waiting area in there is very comfortable for elderly patients.
She is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. The lab in the Fortis Hospital was very clean and well managed. The complete process of pid treatment was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult her. I owe her a big thanks for making me fine again. Someone from the office, referred us Dr Gittika Sharma.
Dr Gittika is very professional and is a really patient listener. Her advice and counselling has helped me immensely. I am satisfied with this hymenoplasty, which she suggested for my issue. I am glad that I consulted her for my problem. She is really a knowledgeable gynaecologist.
Dr Gittika has broad knowledge in the field of gynaecologist. The overall atmosphere in the Fortis Escorts Hospital is very soothing. In the past i consulted so many doctors, but nobody was able to help me with my uterine fibroids, but she has helped me immensely.
Dr. Gittika Sharma provides answers that are very helpful. Thnx
Is there any days scheduled when to have physical relationship with wife to make her pregnant. As I saw in reports that her egg increases in size day by day and 3 eggs forms at that time. After that she doesn't get pregnant. Her periods is also normal. Please suggest if there is any problem in her or me.
A lot of people suggest taking folic acid supplements to expecting mothers for a healthy pregnancy. But why? Why is folic acid that important? What is so ideal about folic acid supplements? Yeah, a lot of questions are bound to pop up. This article will explain the entire deal about this particular acid and why it is that important.
Folic acid is the synthetic form of vitamin B called Folate and it plays an essential role in the production of red blood cells, the formation of the neural tube of the baby, development of the spinal cord. Here is a list of benefits of Folic acid
- Folic acid, as discussed, helps in preventing neural tube defects.
- Serious birth defects like Spina bifida and anencephaly can be prevented if you take folic acid regularly.
- Other defects like cleft palate or cleft lip have also seen to be prevented when mothers have taken proper doses of folic acid.
- Certain types of heart defects can also be avoided.
- A serious blood pressure disorder called preeclampsia affects a lot of pregnant women but folic acid intake can help in the prevention of such a condition.
- Folic acid helps in prevention of anaemia
- The production, function and repair of a normal DNA also require intake of folic acid.
- Folic acid also enables rapid cell growth, therefore, rapid growth of the developing baby.
Now, these neural defects can occur at a very young stage, even before the proper development of the foetus. Hence, it is suggested that to be mothers start taking folic acid right from the beginning. Experts usually recommend about 400 micrograms of folic acid every day in the beginning, when one is trying to get pregnant. However, even during pregnancy crossing the level of 1000 micrograms per day is to be avoided.
Where can you get folic acid from?
Fortified cereals are usually the best food sources of folic acid. Natural folic acid can also be found in naturally dark green vegetables and in various kinds of citrus fruits. Folic acid supplements are also available. Other food sources of folic acid include-
- Beef liver
- Mature lentil seeds
- Egg noodles
- Great northern beans
There are certain situations in which one might require extra folic acid, the reasons might be
- If the mother is overweight.
- If the mother has been pregnant previously
- If the mother is carrying twins.
- Women with a genetic variation of MTHFR in which the body has difficulty in processing folic acid. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Menorrhagia is a condition that is marked by heavy menstrual bleeding during the monthly menstrual cycles. Most women have a unique bleeding pattern during that time of the month with the flow going up and down over the first few days. Yet, for many women, the bleeding becomes consistently heavy during all the days of the period, during which the period itself may get extended by a few days. If this pattern continues to occurs, one must get it checked out by a doctor at the earliest. Here are a few ways in which this condition may be treated.
Factors considered during treatment: Before the treatment starts, and during the diagnosis stage, the doctor will take a look at a number of factors so that the correct form of treatment may be prescribed to the patient. To begin with, the doctor will take a complete medical history of the patient, including the family history to ascertain whether or not there may be a genetic problem at play. Further, the future childbearing plans of the patient will also be taken into consideration in such cases so that the treatment method does not hinder such plans. Also, the doctor will also try and understand the effect of the symptoms of this condition before prescribing any particular medication and surgery.
- Medication: Iron supplements and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines will be prescribed for the patient to bring down the level of inflammation and restore the production of blood, which will make up for the rapidly flowing blood from the body. This will also prevent the risk of anemia. Oral contraceptives, tranexamic acid, oral progesterone and hormonal therapy can also help in such cases.
- Dilation and curettage: This procedure is also known as D&C, and it basically helps in dilation or opening up of the cervix so that the doctor may suction the tissue from the uterine lining. This tissue is usually known to bring about excessive bleeding.
- Uterine artery embolisation: This is a procedure which shrinks any existing fibroids that may be the cause behind excessive bleeding. In this procedure, the uterine arteries are blocked and the blood supply to the same is cut off so that the fibroids do not get a chance to grow and cause unnecessary pressure that may lead to excessive bleeding.
- Hysterectomy: This is a surgical procedure that removes the cervix as well as the uterus, and is usually the last resort followed by most doctors. In such cases, the doctor will first ascertain whether or not you plan to have any children in the future. Additionally, the ovaries may also be removed if the condition has spread too much to be contained sufficiently.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Folic acid is an important form of vitamin B which women must take during pregnancy. It is a form of man-made vitamin B known as folate. Folate plays a significant role in producing red blood cells and helps in the development of your baby’s neural tube into the brain and spinal cord, preventing any kind of birth defects in your baby. Birth defects of the brain or spinal cord may occur in early stages of pregnancy. Therefore, by the time a woman discovers her pregnancy, it may become too late to prevent the defects.
How much folic acid should be taken?
A woman should start taking folic acid within the first three to four weeks of pregnancy, as birth defects may occur during this time. Women who start taking folic acid a year before getting pregnant produce healthy babies without birth defects.
400 mcg of folic acid is the recommended dose for all women who are of childbearing age and also in the first trimester of pregnancy. Multivitamins with the recommended amount of folate and folic acid supplements are generally prescribed as they help the mother deliver a healthy child. From the fourth to ninth month of pregnancy, the dose must be increased to 600 mcg.
Benefits of Folic Acid-
Without sufficient folic acid in your body, the neural tube of your developing baby may not close properly. This may lead to neural tube defects, which include:
Spina bifida, a condition where the spinal cord or vertebrae develop incompletely. A baby with spina bifida may be disabled permanently.
Anencephaly, a condition that features incomplete development of the brain. Babies affected with anencephaly do not live long.
Having a sufficient supply of folic acid prevents these neural defects from developing in your baby.
Taking folic acid before and during pregnancy protects your baby against many other conditions. They include:
Low weight during birth.
Chances of miscarriage.
Folic acid also reduces the risk of developing pregnancy complications in the mother such as heart diseases, stroke, several cancers and Alzheimer’s disease.
Folic acid is naturally found in dark-green vegetables, which you must consume in abundance. Other sources of folic acid include fortified breakfast cereals, beef liver, lentils, egg noodles and great northern beans. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
I am 23 and pregnant and suffering from continuous vomiting and weakness so getting scared to take abortion pills now .what shall I do now?
Hello Doctor, I have consulted a doctor for the reason that I am not conceiving and she had done scans twice and she said that I have PCOD and if I want to get pregnant immediately then she said that she will give some injection and when I asked about the injection she said that it will be given after the periods and I have to go for scanning on the 2 nd day of my period and I will be given some medication fr 5 days and after that injection will be given. Can you suggest me as to how safe is that injection and the success rate as well.
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a process wherein an egg is fertilized by a sperm in a laboratory dish to form the embryo (baby's first cell) which after growth in artificial medium in the lab is transferred into the uterus of women.
Reasons that make IVF a popular procedure:
- Harvests multiple eggs: If you are planning to have more than one child, via IVF you can freeze multiple eggs for future use. Unused or spare embryos can be donated to medical organisations for research purposes or to another couple willing to have a child.IVF has proven successful in giving couples a wholesome and happy life.
- High success rates: Women who underwent in vitro fertilisation using fresh embryos of their own fresh eggs, the projected live birth percentage was 32.2% for those under 35 years, 27.7% for women aged between 35 and 37 years, lowering to 5.0% in 43 to 44 year olds and 1.9% for ages above 45. It has been proved that a female's ability to conceive decreases with age. If infertility is detected at a younger age, the process of IVF is highly advantageous and successfully results in childbirth.
- Proven track record: Technology has come a long way since the first baby via IVF Louise Brown was born in 1978 using a natural IVF. Medical techniques have advanced to create safer and successful treatment. The usage of the safest forms of IVF with low drug regimens today, have prevented side effects such as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Pregnancy is something, which is quite divisive. The mere prospect of it can really go a long way in scaring people. At the same time, for some others, giving birth to a baby can be the primary cause for a lot of happiness. When a couple is having trouble conceiving, infertility is usually the reason why there is a relationship strain between the two of them. Considering this, doesn’t it make sense to learn a bit about infertility and the truth to all that is said about it so as to separate the wheat from the chafe?
To start with, it is often said that when there is an infertility issue, it is probably due to the lack of fertility of the woman rather than the man. However, this is pretty untrue. It has been found that both men and women are responsible for infertility almost equally. In fact, according to a study, in about a fifth of the cases of infertility, the reason for it was that both the man and the woman were not fertile.
Many people say that, if a woman wishes to have a baby, she should do so before she crosses the age of 35. This is true to some extent as the chances of a woman conceiving do fall to a significant extent after the age of 35. As a matter of fact, a woman can expect to reach the peak of her fertility while she is in her twenties, itself!
Without a shadow of doubt, having sex around the time of ovulation is the key to getting pregnant. However, it is believed by a large number of people that there is no chance of getting pregnant if sex is had too soon or too late after ovulation as sperms only live for a few hours after an intercourse. The truth is that the sperms have the ability to live for several days.
When planning to conceive, many women believe that for about a quarter of a year or three months after they stop making use of the birth control pill, they will not be able to get pregnant. The good news for them is that as soon as the pill is stopped, the levels of a woman’s hormones return back to their pre-pill levels almost immediately and ovulation can be expected to occur at the time of their following cycle. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.