Book Clinic Appointment
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Nutrition For Pregnant Women
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dt. Suraksha Shetty ShahYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Suraksha Shetty Shah to be very helpful. Thanks
Dt. Suraksha Shetty Shah provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks alot mam
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease, with the incidence mainly increased by changing lifestyles including food habits and sedentary way of life. How does it happen? The sugar that is consumed is metabolized by a hormone known as insulin. Diabetes can occur due to two reasons:
- Reduced amount of insulin production
- Increased amount of sugar levels beyond what the produced insulin can metabolize.
Risk factors: Diabetes can be genetic, but in most cases, it is acquired and the following are risk factors for the same.
- Ethnicity (Hispanics, Latino Americans, Afro-Americans, etc.)
- Dietary habits including excessive consumption of sugar(s), refined foods, processed foods
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Developing resistance to insulin (thereby increased sugar levels)
- Decreased amount of dietary fiber
- Increased thirst
- Increased appetite
- Increased urination
- Increased fatigue
- Unintended weight loss
- Dryness and itching of skin
- Delayed healing of wounds
- Reduced sensation in the lower limbs
Management through Lifestyle changes:
Diabetes 1 which requires insulin is not preventable but type 2 diabetes is easily manageable through lifestyle changes. This can prolong the onset of getting diabetes and reduce the severity of the disease. It also helps reduce complications. This would require a combination of diet, lifestyle changes, and healthcare.
- Sugars are the main culprit, and refined sugar consumption should be reduced.
- Oils, white rice, refined flour, processed foods, packaged foods, canned foods, etc. also to be reduced.
- Increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables. This helps reduce calories and also increase fiber consumption.
- When it comes to fats, increase consumption of unsaturated fatty acids and reduce saturated fatty acids.
- Sufficient hydration ensures the toxins are washed off and the tissues are well hydrated.
- Pack the diet with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Diabetes is considered a chronic inflammatory process, and including antioxidants in your diet ensures that the buildup of toxins is reduced and inflammation is controlled.
- Avoid eating large portions at any meal. Small, frequent meals ensure the body receives an even spread of calories.
- The size of the meal should reduce as the day goes along.
- A routine exercise regimen helps in weight management, improved insulin function, and reducing fat accumulation. Pick what works for you - jogging, cycling, running, swimming, brisk walking, etc.
- Quitting smoking has multiple benefits, and improved diabetes control is just one.
- Weight management: Weight needs to be constantly monitored for deviations and immediate course corrections to be done
- Stress management: Stress is a risk factor for diabetes and controlling stress helps improve diabetes control
- Vigilance and Monitoring: Sugar levels need to be constantly monitored. Higher sugar levels or missed doses should be immediately corrected. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
I am just 19 year old and I go to gym daily do some weight lifting and drink coffee without milk and sugar and eat no junk food only clean food my daily macro is something like 55% carbs 25%protein and remaining fat. I am endomorph I guess and my biggest problem is, I fresh in the evening not in morning sometime I didn't poop. And another problem is my fat remains after calories deficiency and cardio for 2 month all I lose is my muscle after taking lot of protein and branched chain amino acid.
Give some tips to control tummy fat n I want to know that if we drink water after meal I t will cause obesity or not.
I am 47 years of age. I am diabetic for more than last 25 years. I am insulin dependent patient. My blood sugar level is under control mostly. But I am having problem with my stomach. I go to pass stool 3 - 4 times a day, it takes 10 -15 minutes to clear my stools every time. But whenever I eat anything my stomach again gets heavy and I develop the need to clear my stomach again by passing stool. My stomach is filled up. I have taken many medicines to treat my IBS but with no success. As a result of this my waist size has increased from 32" to 36" and my weight has increased from 75 kg to 88 kg. This is making my body lazy. I am taking controlled diet and have tried many natural and ayurvedic formulae to reduce my weight but with no success. My thyroid is also well under control and all tests related to liver and kidney function are normal. Kindly suggest me some effective medicine to reduce my weight as well as my tummy size.
When it comes to health benefits, green tea has been an undisputed winner for a long time. It is a must have for all health conscious people. For many people, the day starts and ends with a cup of green tea. However, of late, its position and popularity have been challenged. With its health benefits, white tea is slowly but steadily finding its way into the lives of people.
Now the obvious question is; which one of the two (green tea or white tea) is better? While some loyal fans swear by green tea, others have genuine reasons to opt for white tea. To know more about their benefits, one first needs to know, what are green and white tea?
Green tea and white tea are both extracted and processed from the same mother plant, Camellia sinensis. White tea is manufactured using the young buds and leaves. Green tea, on the other hand, is manufactured from the older leaves of the plant.
Also, green tea undergoes more processing compared to the white tea. In the case of green tea, the leaves are first withered, followed by steaming or frying (pan frying). Next, there is rolling, shaping, and finally drying of the leaves. In the case of white tea, the processing is simple and involves steaming followed by drying of the leaves.
The health benefits of green tea Vs white tea
- The antioxidant capacity: Both green tea and white tea contains a phytochemical, Polyphenols, which has antioxidant properties. In addition to the weight management, this antioxidant is known to protect the body from cardiovascular disorders, diabetes, and even cancer. Research suggests the phenolic content, and subsequently, the antioxidant capacity is higher in white tea as compared to the green tea.
- Protection from UV rays: The harmful effects of UV rays are known to all. Research suggests that both green and white tea are at par (photoprotection ability) when it comes to protection from the harmful UV radiation.
- Anti-carcinogenic property: When it comes to cancer-fighting ability, white tea earns the brownie point. Undergoing less processing as compared to the green tea, the antimutagenic and the anti-carcinogenic properties are higher in white tea.
- Mood enhancer and stress reliever: Many studies suggest that white tea has a slightly higher caffeine content compared to the green tea. Thus, white tea will have a better soothing and refreshing effect than green tea.
- A younger looking skin: Both white and green tea play a pivotal role in slowing down the aging process. However, White tea contains a higher content of polyphenols (due to less processing) and is believed to have a better ability to prevent the breakdown of the elastin and collagen than green tea. The EGCG or EpiGalloCatechin Gallate (lowers the aging process) is also higher in white tea.
- Weight Management: When it comes to weight management, both white and green tea exhibit almost similar effects.
- Anti-inflammatory property: The anti-inflammatory property is slightly higher in white tea than green tea. White tea, thus, helps to suppress the activities collagenase, elastase, and oxidants (enzymes responsible for Rheumatoid arthritis) better. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Hi! I'm working out everyday to gain muscle, I will have to consume just vegetarian food for a month. My concern is can I consume tofu once in two day? I heard I has some estrogen which not good for men. If it is not as bad as they tell you, how much can I consume per day? This has been one of my biggest concerns please help.
I am following LCHF Diet system for now. I am on low carb High Fat Diet to reduce my Blood Sugar and BP What's your opinion?
Plums originally originated in the continent of Asia. They are the member of the plant Genus Prunus, which also consists of apricots, cherries, and almonds. One can’t go wrong in adding plums in their diet. Plums have the qualities of being low in calories and they also enable you to meet your daily dose of vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber needs. Some other amazing benefits of plums are :
- Low in calorie content: Plums contain few calories as compared to its portion size, as they are low-energy foods containing 70 calories. There are just 70 calories in two plums of medium sizes. It has been suggested by CDC (Centre for Disease Control and Preventions) that when one includes more amounts of low-energy dense foods in their diet, it can help them to limit their total amount of calorie intake for controlling hunger and weight loss.
- Good source of fiber: Plums are very good source of fiber. 2 grams of fiber can be found in two medium sized plums. In average, adults need about 20 to 30 grams of fiber in a day, where most people consume only around 15 grams of fiber. The fiber content in foods can help control hunger. Fiber also helps to add bulk to our stool. It helps to mitigate and prevent constipation. Fiber also has the power to prevent the risks of heart diseases by absorbing cholesterol from our blood stream.
- Low glycemic index food: The calories in plum come from the carbohydrates in the form of sugar. In two medium sized plums, there is about 19 grams of carbs and about 16 grams of sugar. Although plums are high in sugar and carbohydrates, plums are low glycemic index food. The glycemic index helps to rank the foods that contain carbohydrate on how and by how much they affect blood sugar. Foods with a high glycemic index can cause a brisk rise in blood sugar. Whereas foods with low glycemic index cause a little bit of rising in blood sugar. And also people who eat too many of high glycemic index food has a high risk of diabetes and also heart disease according to the Harvard School of Public Health. Whereas eating low glycemic index foods helps to control diabetes and also helps in weight loss.
- Good source of vitamin A: Eating two medium sized plums can provide about eight percent of a person’s daily need of vitamin A or 400 international units. Vitamin A is essential for eye health, development and growth, immune health, reproduction, and bone health. Vitamin A is also known as a fat soluble vitamin.
- Good source of vitamin C: It is an important water-soluble vitamin. We need a minimum intake of vitamin C in order to make collagen which also helps in healing of wounds and plums are rich in this nutrient. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
If you are looking for an ideal, healthy diet which will help in improving your GI’s or general symptoms, you should opt for an elimination diet. It is an effective dietary approach, which is useful for addressing individual needs along with certain benefits for everyone who undertakes the diet. This diet is especially useful if you suffer from food sensitivities. In the elimination diet, certain food items are eliminated from your diet for a certain period of time. They are slowly reintroduced in your diet after a span of three to four weeks. You should be as restrictive as possible for the diet to produce effective results.
In a good elimination diet, you should cut off food items such as gluten, soy, eggs, dairy, corn, beef, chicken, pork, beans, lentils, citrus fruits, nuts, coffee and several nightshade vegetables. Your diet should primarily compose of rice, meat such as turkey, lamb, or fish, several fruits and vegetables. Food items to include and exclude as part of an elimination diet
Here is a list of the various types of food items, some of which need to be avoided and excluded during an elimination diet:
- Fruits and vegetables: You should include all forms of fresh fruits. Have fruits raw and have the vegetables in steamed, roasted or sautéed form. Exclude citrus fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant.
- Starch: You should consume rice and buckwheat and avoid corn, barley, spelt, rye and other products which contain high gluten.
- Legumes: Avoid consuming legumes such as soybean, tempeh, tofu, soya milk, peas, lentils and all forms of beans. Also avoid all types of seeds and nuts.
- Meat and fish: Consume meats such as turkey, lamb, wild game and fish. Stay away from chicken, pork, eggs, canned meat, sausages, shellfish and soy made meat substitutes.
- Dairy products:Consume coconut milk and unsweetened rice milk. Do not not consume cow milk, cheese, cream, butter, ice cream, yogurt and non-dairy creamers.
- Fats: Consume fats such as flax seed oil, coconut oil and cold expeller pressed olive oil. Avoid margarine, butter, mayonnaise, spreads and hydrogenated oils.
- Beverages: Drink a lot of water and consume herbal teas such as rooibos and peppermint tea. Strictly avoid alcohol, coffee, green tea and soda.
- Spices and condiments: Include spices such as sea salt, fresh herbs and spices such as oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary and fresh pepper in your diet. Do not consume chocolate, mustard, relish, chutney, soy sauce, vinegar and barbecue sauce.
In case of sweeteners, you should use stevia if required. Avoid using honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, desserts, high fructose corn syrups and white or brown sugar. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
If you are concerned about your heart’s health, it is important for you to make some dietary modifications. Simple changes in your everyday diet may offer benefits, which help in preventing future heart problems. If you suffer from high blood pressure or high cholesterol or have atrial fibrillation.
Here are some tips regarding the best diet for protecting your heart:
- Believe in the food hype: Having healthy meals is certainly beneficial and makes a big difference to your heart health. Consuming meals which contain vegetables, grains, low fat dairy and lean meat will allow you to live a longer and healthier life.
- Avoid crash diets: A crash diet may be effective, if you want to fit in a dress within one month. However, for improving your heart health, undertaking different fad diets is not useful. Meals in which a certain type of nutrients such as carbohydrates or fats are ruled out are not beneficial as well. You should have a sensible approach towards your diet and focus on food products such as vegetables, whole grains and lean meat.
- Do not overeat: Overeating will lead to weight gain and commonly, many people get heart attack after taking a big meal.
- Eat less salt: You should consume less amount of salt in your diet and do not eat more than one teaspoon of salt a day. Avoid any food item which contains high amounts of sodium. Salt is responsible for increasing blood pressure.
- Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine: In case you suffer from atrial fibrillation, you should avoid caffeine and any other stimulant as they tend to trigger the symptoms. You must drink moderately as consuming more than one drink a day increases your risks of having heart problems.
- Choose meat wisely: You should avoid red meat, which contains large amount of saturated fats as these are not good for the heart. You should choose the leanest cuts of meats and trim all fat from it. You should opt for cuts such as flank, rump roast, tenderloin and sirloin. Pork tenderloin, chicken and turkey breast are other alternatives.
- Add fish to your diet: Fish is essential for improving your heart health. Try to avoid having deep fried fish and choose grilled fish or roasted fish, which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Consume fishes like tuna, salmon, trout and sardines.
You should also add whole grains to your diet. They are effective in controlling blood sugar and lower the chances of diabetes. Hence, the risks of heart diseases are less if you do not have diabetes. Whole grains also help with weight loss, which is beneficial for the heart. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I feel very uncomfortable because of my body I am thin .what can I do that my body became stronger and k looking good.
If you are a health conscious individual, you may want to avoid eating oily, fatty and spicy foods to satisfy your hunger. If you are looking for delicious, easy to make food items, which are good for your health, there are many items which will fit your requirement and are easily available or can be simply prepared.
Here is a list of food items which healthy people eat when they are hungry:
- Popcorn is a nutritious and quite a satisfactory snack, which can be prepared in a few minutes. You may prepare various blends of popcorn, which may include spicy oregano, curry paprika or garlic flavored ones.
You may have avocados in different preparations. Avocados are considered to be very healthy and contain mono-unsaturated fats. You can stuff avocados with your desired ingredients and sauces for filling.
You can make a fresh tray mix for snack.This can be prepared using different types of nuts and grapes, cherries or blueberries. Use low carbohydrate products in the fruit mix.
Chia seed pudding is a simple food item, which is good for both adults and children. It is high in calcium, fiber, proteins and contains healthy fats.
Granola bars are great light food items, which can be made at home without baking.
Chocolate coconut oat balls are good snack options for health conscious people. These do not require baking and usual kitchen ingredients are enough for making them.
You can have roasted chickpeas in different flavors. Chickpeas are full of protein and fiber and you can add any blend of spice to make crispy, roasted chickpeas. The BBQ flavor is ideal to be used in this preparation.
Having seasonal vegetables with dips is a great and healthy option for snacks and other meals as well. You can customize this according to your wishes and can use various sorts of dips. This makes this preparation quite different and much tastier than normal salads.
A simple vegetable pizza can be prepared at home. It is quite delicious and takes less than thirty minutes to prepare. Without adding a lot of cheese and spreads, you can simply enjoy this pizza.
You can prepare breakfast muffins, which are simple to bake they contain milk and are rich in fiber and quite filling for breakfast.
Oats are very healthy as they are full of dietary fiber and contain slow releasing carbohydrates. Oats can be mixed with milk and you may use any kind of topping like a fruit or nut butter and can be consumed as a healthy breakfast option.
There are many healthy food options to choose from, but for getting a complete food chart based on healthy food items, you should consult a dietitian.