Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Ahmedabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Knee Injury Treatment
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Submit a review for Dr. Nehil B ShahYour feedback matters!
My left shoulder pains alot. It pains when I remove and wear my shirt. medicines are nit helpful. So please suggest me a cure or an exercise to get rid if this problem?
I got a muscle pull at groin part on my left leg few days back. Any medical advice about the cure for the same?
I am doing regular push-ups without help of gym trainer. Can doing push-ups lead to some shoulder problem. When I do push-ups I don't experience any pain I am extremely comfortable.
Best Exercises for Knee Pain Relief in Osteoarthritis
The quadriceps (or quads) describe the four muscles located on the front of the thigh. They contract together to help flex (or lift up) the hip and extend (or straighten) the knee. The quads often become weak after injury is sustained or surgery is performed on the lower leg or thigh. For this reason, it is important to learn how to strengthen this muscle group for a complete recovery.
People with certain conditions often exhibit quadriceps weakness. These conditions may include:
- Patellofemoral stress syndrome
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Patellar tendonitis or tendinosis
Typically, a specific area of your quad called the vastus medialis obliqus (VMO) may be weak or inhibited from contracting properly in these conditions. Your PT can show you how to perform these quad exercises with a special focus on the VMO for maximal effect.
Some quad strengthening exercises place significant stress on your knee joint. Your physical therapist can show you ways to minimize joint stress while still strengthening your quadriceps. Be sure to check in with your doctor before starting these - or any other - exercises.
Reveiw these exercises for quad strengthening and get started on the road to stronger thighs.
2 Straight Leg Raises
Place a cuff weight around your ankle to add full resistance to your straight leg raising exercise.
The straight leg raising (SLR) exercise is a simple way to get your quad muscles working properly. Here is how the SLR is done.
- Lie on your back on a flat surface.
- Bend the knee of your uninvolved leg (the one that wasn't operated on) to a 90-degree angle, and keep your foot flat on the surface. Keep your involved leg straight without the knee bent.
- Slowly lift the involved leg 12 inches off the floor (by contracting the front thigh muscles). Hold for five seconds.
- Slowly lower your leg to the floor. Relax and repeat 10 to 15 times.
The knee of the raised leg should remain straight throughout this exercise. Focus on lifting by using the muscles on the front of your hip joint. This exercise can be made more challenging by placing a 2 or 3 pound cuff weight on your ankle before you lift.
3 Short Arc Quads
The short arc quad (SAQ) exercise is a great way to really focus in on properly contracting your quadriceps muscles. Here is how you do it:
- Lie on your back and use a small coffee can (or paper towel roll) to prop your knee up.
- Slowly straighten your bent knee until it is all the way straight.
- Tighten your quad muscle and hold it tight for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lower your leg down.
- Repeat for 15 repetitions.
4 Wall Slides
- Stand upright with your back against a wall and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly bend your knees, sliding your back down the wall for a count of five until your knees are bent at a 45-degree angle. (Do not bend too much further than this, as it will cause increased strain on your knees.) Hold this position for 5 seconds.
- Straightening your knees by slowly sliding up the wall until you are fully upright with knees straight.
- Repeat the above steps 10 more times.
5 Terminal Knee Extension
Terminal knee extension (TKE) is a simple, yet effective, way to strengthen your quads in a standing position. The TKE is considered a functional exercise, as you quads will be working while supporting your body weight.
To perform the terminal knee extension exercise, you must first obtain a resistance band, like a Theraband, from your physical therapist. Once you have a band, you should be ready to start the exercise. Here's how you do it:
- Tie your resistance band around a stable object so it is anchored around the height of your knee. (The leg of a table is a good place.)
- Step into the loop with the leg you wish to exercise.
- Face the anchor point with the resistance band looped around your knee and your knee slightly bent.
- Slowly straighten your knee, placing tension on the band. The resistance band should provide some resistance as your try to fully straighten your knee.
- Once your knee is straight and the band has tension on it, hold the position for 3 seconds.
- Slowly allow your knee to bend slightly once again.
- Repeat the exercise for 15 repetitions.
35 year mail, 2 weeks back had chikungunya fever. Every joint in the body which had miner injuries is paining like hel. DOCTOR proscribed medicines but if you are taking them you are fine but as soon as you stop talking those medicine pain start again. DO it had permanent treatment?
I have headache & backache problem last 2 month. And Not well sleep. Feel weakness and also stressed.
I am Suffering from Femoral nerve damage from last 4 years in the right leg .My brother hitted me on the leg 4-5 times I started developing pain and I started losing muscle in the right of my body .and since then I have muscle atrophy on my right side of body and pain in right leg And pain in back since then. I had exercised a lot just the pain seems to be low but not gaining muscles at all. What should I do I am worried.
I am a thirty years old. I have 100 kilo grams weight. I have pain in left side foot since five years. Please give some suggestions.
I am 36 years old. I am suffering from back pain from 10 months. Recently I have examined mri and the doctor suggested me to operation l-5, but I don't agree for operation. Please give me a solution then I released from back pain without operation.
I have backpain. When I stand for more than 30 min I can't bend down its paining while bending down. What shld I do? should I take x rays or medicines will work.
I am suffering from sciatica pain on the left side starting from hip to heel .Got the x-ray and MRI also done and it confirms the compression of nerve at L4 and L5 level .Kindly suggest a solution.
I dislocated my right shoulder on 22 july. It was my first shoulder dislocation. After closed reduction I was advice to keep it in a sling for 3 weeks. Now I'm doing physiotherapy that includes some rotator cuff exercises. My question is will my shoulder dislocate again? Do I need to undergo shoulder surgery to prevent further dislocation?
I have a problem with my back. It hurts a lot when im to so some physical work. please tell me something.
I'm 24 year old male. I am suffering from back pain I consult many allopathic doctors but I didnt find any relief can you suggest me some medicines to recover from my problem.
My knee (both) are paining too much and right side knee feels heavier than the left side knee. Especially, after getting up from bed in the early morning, right side knee is to be massaged for sometime to come to normal condition. Kindly suggest remedy for the. Same. Thanks.
Arthritis is a disquietingly painful condition that causes inflammation and stiffness in the joints. Arthritis usually occurs due to the wear and tear of cartilages and ligaments with the onset of age, but recent studies have concluded that many foods present in our daily diet may actually trigger or aggravate symptoms of the condition. Yet also there are some superfoods that help combat and prevent arthritis. Avoiding the former and including the latter in your meals can reap surprising benefits.
Some of these ailing superfoods for arthritis are:
- Leafy greens: Green, leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage and lettuce have a high content of antioxidants, calcium and magnesium which help in neutralizing the negative charges in the body. In case of arthritis, it prevents the further progression of the disease. 5 servings of steamed vegetables per day can work wonders for your joint pain.
- Fishes: Fish, especially oily fish goes a long way in reducing joint pain and stiffness. They are highly rich in Omega-3 fatty acids which contain anti - inflammatory properties. 2 to 4 portions of oily fish per week can have an impact on you for many years to come.
- Olive oil: Olive oil contains mono - saturated fats and antioxidants, which have anti - inflammatory properties. Increase in the intake of olive oil can reduce risks of rheumatoid arthritis and prevent associated conditions. It can be used as both raw oil in preparing salads and also as cooking oil.
- Apples: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. As true as it may be, among many other nutrients, apples are a rich source of antioxidants and magnesium which are beneficial for the bones. A daily intake of 100g of apples eaten as a sole snack, or mixed with salads would in the long run prevent the risks of arthritis.
- Onions: Onions apart from fostering good digestion is also loaded with quercetin which is a bioflavonoid antioxidant that suppresses inflammation. It effectively removes the free radicals within arthritis joints and also reduces the release of protein- destroying enzymes. It can be consumed raw, can be served as a sauce and can also be used for cooking.Arthritis is a disquietingly painful condition that causes inflammation and stiffness in the joints.
Arthritis usually occurs due to the wear and tear of cartilages and ligaments with the onset of age, but recent studies have concluded that many foods present in our daily diet may actually trigger or aggravate symptoms of the condition. Yet also there are some superfoods that help combat and prevent arthritis. Avoiding the former and including the latter in your meals can reap surprising benefits. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.