Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Bariatricians in India. You will find Bariatricians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Bariatricians online in Ahmedabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anish Nagpal
Submit a review for Dr. Anish NagpalYour feedback matters!
Since 3 years I am unable to loose my weight instead I am gaining, what precautions should I take and i am have stretch marks on my stomach.
It is quite evident that losing fat is not an easy task. If it were, people wouldn’t have spent on a million different diet plans and products. However, even the smallest weight loss tricks or changes in food habits can make a huge difference as far as dietary or weight loss plans are concerned. Given below 9 simple tricks that can be easily incorporated so that you can lose more fat.
- Modify your crockery: Fooling yourself with fancy plates and glasses as well as other tableside items can go a long way in helping you reduce your body fat. Small modifications in dinnerware is capable of tricking you into eating lesser amounts than usual. Using smaller plates makes the portions of food seem larger. Similarly, thinner and taller glasses make the beverages look bigger. Colours of the plates have a role to play too. Plates should be of such colour that it is in contrast to the foods normally consumed.
- Choice of Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol consumption leads to an increased weight or calorie count. Hence, the choice of alcohol must be done with respect to the number of calories it adds.
- Salads and sauces: Being one of the easiest changes that can be made, having salads and sauces on the side can helping in controlling the amount of gravy or dressing consumed.
- Imagination: A mental image, which enables you to think that you are going to eat more than you should, should be developed which would aid you prevent overeating. It is believed that the imagination of overindulging hampers our motivation to eat in excess.
- Intermittent Fasting: Body fat is reduced when food is normally consumed within a smaller period of time than usual.
- Reduced Carbs: Maintaining a diet low in carbohydrates not only helps in reducing fats in the body but also forces the body to use the stored fat in the form of energy.
- Discard diet soda: Although diet sodas do not contain calories, consumption of diet soda forces you into eating more food and hence adding body weight. A healthier replacement would be drinking cold lemon water.
- Add more vegetables: Most fat loss plans end in consuming more vegetables. A simple trick like doubling the amount of vegetables in any recipe can go a long way in reducing fat.
- Water: Drinking large amounts of water is very helpful for losing fat. If you drink water before a meal, hunger and in turn, intake of fatty foods is reduced. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
It is a wrong notion that only overeating makes a person obese. Many people are overweight even after eating within limits or restricting the intake of unhealthy foods. A person is often considered obese when their BMI or Body Mass Index is 30 or more. For a person to be severely obese (Morbid obesity), the BMI should be 40 or higher. From backaches to heart ailments, obesity, of late, has become a serious threat, which if not controlled or treated can trigger a myriad of health problems.
Complications associated with obesity
In addition to the physical discomfort, obesity can trigger several complications some of which include
- Obesity increases the risk of Type-2 Diabetes (a condition where the cells of the body fail to utilize the insulin produced by the pancreas resulting in an elevated blood sugar level, also known as Insulin Resistance) by many folds.
- There is a direct relationship between obesity and heart problems including a stroke and heart attack (myocardial infarction).
- In some cases, obesity can give rise to a complication whereby the affected individual is found to suffer from three health conditions namely high blood pressure, high blood glucose, high levels of triglycerides with a dip in the level of the good cholesterol or HDL (a condition termed as a Metabolic syndrome).
- The incidences of psychological stress, anxiety, and depressions, sexual disorders (low libido, erectile dysfunction), menstrual problems, infertility, sleep apnea, cancer (pancreas, breast, kidney, uterus, esophagus, prostate, colon, gallbladder, ovary, liver), are also relatively higher in obese people.
Ayurvedic approach to treat obesity
With a holistic and comprehensive approach, Ayurveda plays a pivotal role in treating obesity and the associated health complications.
- According to Ayurveda, there are seven vital tissues or Dhatus in our body- Rasa Dhatu (the useful and nutritious part of the food being digested), Rakta Dhatu (blood), Mamsa Dhatu (muscle), Meda Dhatu (fat), Asthi Dhatu (bone), Majja Dhatu (bone marrow), Shukra Dhatu (reproductive system including the sperm and ovum)
- In obesity, the conversion of Meda Dhatu to Asthi Dhatu does not take place. There is also a disruption of the balance between the three doshas (vitiation of the Vata dosha with an elevation in the Kapha Dosha)
- Thus, the treatment aims at treating the diseased condition through the restoration of the balance between the doshas and eliminating the toxins from the body
- Kashaya Basti, part of Panchakarma therapy where an enema (medicated decoction) is used to carry out the detoxification can work wonders to restore the dosha balance
- The Vamana therapy is equally effective where the toxins are eliminated using an Ayurvedic emetic herb (induces vomiting)
- Further, the various body massages using herbal and medicated oils goes a long way in flushing out the toxins
- The diet also undergoes a modification. Fruits, vegetables, foods rich in good fats need to be consumed more while spicy and oily foods or those rich in bad fats (pastries, doughnuts, cookies, margarine, ice creams), are to be avoided
- Yoga and meditation are equally helpful
- One needs to have a sound sleep for at least 6-8 hours daily