Corn Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Polishing Treatment
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Cutaneous Fillers Treatment
Small Dermatologic Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Submit a review for SkinsenseYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Meeta Desai to be very helpful. Thank u mam
Dr. Meeta Desai provides answers that are thorough. Thanku
I always have acne on my face. I tried aloe vera gels and moisturizers. But they just doesn't go away. If one goes away, then others start to appear. Alway have 4-5 pimples. Please help me on what to do!
Hair loss may happen due to a variety of reasons including hereditary issues as well as aging and skin or scalp problems. A poor diet and inappropriate lifestyle choices like excessive drinking and smoking can also lead to hair loss. Many people also experience hair loss due to hormonal changes. Also, hair loss may happen as a side effect of certain types of medication as well as surgery related to cancer, which includes chemotherapy. Yet, genetic reasons for hair loss remain the most common cause when it comes to both men and women. Cosmetic procedures can often be used to fix severe hair loss issues.
Here is a list of cosmetic procedures available for the same:
- Hair Transplant: This procedure is also known as hair grafting and is often used to treat male pattern balding. This is an outpatient and relatively uncomplicated procedure that can be conducted at the clinic of a dermatologist surgeon. The process consists of the application of micro grafts where one or two hair can be contained in each graft. Strip grafts containing 30 to 40 strands of hair can also be applied in such a procedure. The doctor will usually administer local anaesthesia into the scalp so as to ensure that the patient feels minimum discomfort during the procedure.
- Scalp Reduction: In this procedure, the dermatologist surgeon will usually remove the skin which is not bearing hair any longer. The rest of the skin that is capable of growing hair will then be stretched across the scalp so that the bald area can be eliminated. This stretching action is done by loosening the skin of the surrounding area once the non-hair-bearing skin has been removed. In this method too, the doctor will first administer local anaesthesia.
- Flap Surgery: In this kind of surgery, the doctor will remove a section of the bald area and replace it with a flap of skin that is capable of sprouting hair. This hair bearing skin flap is positioned properly before being stitched into place during the surgery. While this is a challenging procedure, one will see immediate results as the remaining skin is still connected to the original blood supply that will promote hair growth for the flap as well.
- Laser Assisted Grafting: While there are many kinds of hair grafting techniques, laser assisted grafting is one of the most commonly used ones in today's day and age. Before the surgery, the doctor will prepare the area by trimming the donor area. This will allow easy application of and access to the grafts. Site holes will be closed with stitches which will in turn, be concealed with the hair that surrounds the area.
Acne is a disorder which is characterized by small red bumps on the skin or occluded pores in the skin such as blackheads. Acne is a teenager's biggest worry. However, it can occur at any age.
Some causes that make your skin prone to acne are:
- Hormones: Changes in hormonal balance can cause acne, especially in the beginning of puberty. In some cases, women are affected by acne when the menstrual cycle stops. The acne caused by hormonal changes may also be genetic in nature.
- Diet: Following a proper diet is a key factor in keeping your skin healthy. Food usually doesn't cause acne directly but can cause other problems such as greasy skin that are linked with acne. However, foods high in iodides such as seaweeds consumed over time can cause acne.
- Stress: The severity of acne can be correlated to the levels of stress a person is facing. While scientists are yet to figure the exact relationship between stress and acne; it is known that the cells that produce sebum or oil also act as stress receptors. Studies suggest that when a person is under stress, these cells produce excessive sebum that clogs pores on the skin leading to pimples.
- Misc factors: Bacteria, excess oil, blocked pores, and dead skin cells are the primary reasons behind acne.
- Medication: Any medicine that contains lithium, androgen or corticosteroids can worsen this skin condition. Acne is one of the side effects to a few types of medication such as corticosteroids and anti convulsants. However, this is not seen very often. On the other hand, drugs that contain hormones such as androgenic steroids almost always cause an acne breakout. Treatment for acne depends on the severity of the condition and its persistence. Mild cases can be easily treated with over the counter medication, but if your acne is severe and not affected by these medications, it best to consult a dermatologist.
Ingrown toenails have become a common trouble these days and there are many causes that are responsible for the same. Nail edges or corners mostly get affected by this trouble. It often appears to be a toenail infection while it is not so. Bigger toes are highly prone to this toenail issue; therefore you need to be very careful.
Before the issue can become serious, you should take careful steps to prevent the same. Medical advice is required so that the right treatment can be chosen, which gives you an instant relief from the symptoms. The skin around the nail becomes tender and might get swollen or hard coupled with a lot of pain in the toe.
Leading causes for ingrown toenails:
- Incorrect nail-cutting: If you make a mistake in cutting your toenail correctly, then you might face the situation of an ingrown toenail. Therefore, you should always finely concentrate while cutting your toenails with the help of any nail cutter. In most of the cases, curved or irregular nails are to be cut with great care.
- Wrong footwear: If you have chosen the wrong footwear, which create tremendous amount of pressure on your feet, it may develop this kind of nail condition. Only repeated or consistent usage of these kinds of footwear can develop this horrible situation. Sometimes, extremely tight stockings or socks can also be responsible for ingrown toenails.
- Improper hygiene: Acute foot hygiene needs to be maintained without any fail otherwise you will not be able to prevent ingrown nails. You should always keep your feet clean and dry. If your feet remain in contact with moisture for a long time, then this condition might arise. You can now use specialized solutions available in the market for washing the nails on your feet.
- Toenail injury: If you have any injury on your toenail, then it needs to be corrected as soon as possible otherwise the injury will get converted into ingrown nails. Which further results in acute painful sensations and these kinds of experiences are simply unbearable. Poor posture can bring injuries to your toenails. If you have any existing toe injuries, then you should try your level best for the speedy recovery of the same.
- Poor health-conditions: There are many health conditions, which result in ingrown toenails out of which diabetes is the most prominent one. Due to poor blood circulation, the nails on your feet get damaged internally resulting in ingrown nails. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
I have a sensitive skin. I want to know how I can bring glow to my skin and keep it healthy. My hair falls a lot specially after oiling. I do not have any dandruff issues. My hair is also dull. I need my hair to be smooth and shiny.
I have dark complexion but my face is more dark compared to my body, Please suggest me something to improve my face complexion. Any face laser operation will work. (male, 26)
Hyperpigmentation is a relatively harmless condition, but can affect a person’s self-image and psyche. This skin condition is characterized by dark patches on the skin due to exposure to UV radiation or as a sign of aging. It is caused by an excessive production of melanin in the body. Hyperpigmentation affects people of all ages and with all skin types. However, fair-skinned people are at a higher risk of suffering from this condition than dark skinned people.
This condition can be treated in a number of ways including:
- Laser: Laser treatment for hyperpigmentation improves skin tone and boosts collagen production. With advancement in laser technology, scarring is no longer a very big risk with this form of treatment. Depending on the degree of hyperpigmentation argon or carbon dioxide lasers may be used in with short pulses or long pulses. Treatment can take anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes and is relatively pain free.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels rid the skin of its top most layer and bring new cells to the surface. This gives the skin an even tone and eliminates dark spots and patchiness. A light salicylic acid or glycolic acid peel is ideal for hyperpigmentation treatment. This is often used in cases where the patient’s skin is resistant to over the counter topical treatment. The concentration of active ingredients in the peel depends on the skin tone. Mild skin discolouration and blotchiness can be treated with a superficial peel while age spots and freckles require a medium peel.
- Topical ointments: Topical ointments are usually the first form of treatment for hyperpigmentation. Hydroquinone or retinol are the most commonly prescribed ointments. Broad spectrum sunscreen that offers protection against UVA and UVB rays can also help prevent further sun damage and dark spots. Skin lightening creams with soy or niacinamide as active ingredients also help brighten skin tones.
Apart from these forms of treatment, there are also a number of home remedies for this condition. Some of these home remedies are:
- Rubbing a freshly sliced or the juice of a grated potato on the skin
- Applying a combination of cucumber and lemon juice on the skin
- A grated papaya face mask
- Soak almonds in milk overnight and then skin them and puree with the milk. Apply this mixture on the affected areas.
- A mask of guava and banana pulp
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Doctor please tell me how to increase my hemoglobin as I am diabetic from last 2 years my skin is not as shiny as I was having before I am looking dull please help.
Acne scars look bad and often interfere with your bright looks, as they make you feel embarrassed and unfresh. You use more makeup to cover them or avoid going out in order to hide them. However, instead of hiding your face or the scars, you may try these treatment options to remove the scars instead and feel brighter and better.
- Chemical peels: This method involves the application of a chemical peel on the skin. The acid in it removes the superficial skin layer to improve the appearance of the scar. This works well on lighter scars, and a licensed medical practitioner, nurse or cosmetologist can do this procedure.
- Dermabrasion and Microdermabrasion: This technique involves using a high-speed brush on the skin to polish the portion of the scar and make that part of the skin even, so that the scar looks lighter. If your skin doctor feels that you don't need serious dermabrasion, then he may use a microdermabrasion where small crystals are sprayed onto the skin surface to remove the skin cells over the scar and improve appearance.
- Fillers: Fillers are used on the skin which gets depressed due to the acne or scars. There are some binding materials like collagen or Hyaluronic acid, which can be injected through an injection, and this keeps the skin smooth, scar free and elevated for some time after which the injection has to be repeated. This has to be a continuous treatment until your skin starts to appear normal again.
- Retinoid creams: The retinoid creams are especially beneficial on scars if applied patiently for a prolonged period. These creams come with little side effects like burning, drying or peeling of the skin, but over a medium to long-term application, all scars do get removed.
- Laser treatment: A combination of a few types of laser treatments or just one type depending on the acne stage or redness is used. This smoothens the skin and removes the acne scars by removing skin cells from the area.
- Punch Excisions and Skin grafting: This is a surgical technique. The acne scar can be removed by cutting a portion of the skin, and removing it. Normally, this procedure is combined with skin grafting, where the hole created by the acne is filled up either through stitches, or through grafting of the skin. This is actually the most invasive process to remove scars and only done when you have a serious, permanent and stubborn scar which can't be effectively removed by other techniques. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Hello sir, Someone advice to use tretin but it is allergic to my sensitive skin and it has many side effects so please effective and safe medication. I had already used salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide creams also but no result. And I have dandruff on my hair.
I am 21 a d my face looks dull and I have started seeing signs of dark circles what can I do to stop it?
What is Acne (Pimples)?
Acne is a very common skin disease that is characterised by the clogging of hair follicles of the skin with dead cells or oil produced from oil glands called ‘sebum’. It is a long-term skin disease and is seen to affect people who fall within the age group of 13-25.
They mostly occur on the face but it can also occur on the back, arms, neck, chest and shoulders. This can result in an uneven, bumpy appearance on the skin that may swell up and appear red. In severe cases, when the swelling subsides, it may leave a mark on the affected area.
What Causes Pimples?
The reasons behind pimples are not very clear although it is seen to be more prominent with teenagers and is more severe in boys as compared to girls.
But some factors that may cause acne are:
Hormones: The levels of hormones called ‘androgens’ increase when someone hits teenage. Androgens cause the pores on the skin to enlarge and secrete more sebum. This causes the pores to get clogged, thus causing acne.
Genetics: It is more likely for you to get pimples if your parents have had them in their childhood.
Medications: Certain medications used to treat diseases such as epilepsy can result in acne.
How To Treat Acne?
It is usually recommended to consult a dermatologist who may give you several options such as-
Although it is generally a temporary condition, severe acne can leave scar problem that can last a lifetime. A cosmetic dermatologist can provide a variety of procedures for acne scar removal or reduction.
Microdermabrasion, deep chemical peels, and laser skin resurfacing have all been shown to effectively reduce or eliminate acne scars. The right acne scar removal treatment for each patient depends on the degree of acne scarring, skin type, and other factors. A cosmetic dermatologist can recommend the procedure that is best for you. Some of the treatments are:
Topical Ointments: Ointments are topical agents that are used on the surface of the skin or mucous membrane. Agents with Salicylic acid as an active ingredient can help in treating acne.
Oral Prescriptions: Oral antibiotics such as clindamycin can be prescribed to you for treating your acne.
Acne Surgery: It can be used to treat current acne conditions. It involves cleansing the skin and its pores of infections and excessive oil and clusters of dead cells.
Skin Peeling Treatment: It is a very effective way of removing current pimples and scars that are left behind by the older ones. It basically removes the old, dead skin cells and encourages the growth of new ones. This must be done upon consulting your dermatologist.
Other measures that can be taken to control outbreaks include maintaining a healthy, junk-free diet.