Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Asthma Management Program
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
Health Screening For Women
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for ForUYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Sohil Takodara provides answers that are professional. Gud dr
For people who need to keep an eye on their blood sugar level, a glucose meter is a handy thing to keep around. There are many different types of glucose meters available with continuous glucose monitor being one of them. Unlike other glucose monitoring devices that merely detect the amount of glucose present in your system, a continuous glucose monitoring device also detects trends and patterns thus, gives your doctor a more comprehensive picture of your condition.
A continuous glucose monitor is not available over the counter and will need to be prescribed by your doctor. It uses a tiny sensor that is placed under the skin of your abdomen to measure the glucose level in the fluid within your body. This insertion is quick and quite painless. The sensor has a transmitter that sends the information about your glucose levels to a small pager like device. The data collected can be seen in the form of readings every 1,5 or 10 minutes. If your sugar levels drop to an extremely low level to go up to a very high level, the monitor will sound and alarm to notify you.
The data collected by a continuous glucose monitor can also be downloaded to your smartphone, laptop or tablet. By looking at the readings over a period of time, you will be able to notice trends and patterns in your sugar levels. This data helps diabetic patients and their doctors to decide on a number of things such as:
- How much insulin is needed?
- What is the optimum dosage of medication required for you?
- What is the optimum number of meals needed per day?
- How much should you eat in every meal?
- What is the right exercise plan for you?
Diabetics who use an insulin pump can also link this to the continuous glucose monitor so that they do not need to manually program the pump. This is known as a sensor augmented pump. This device can also help record blood sugar levels as you sleep thus, detecting spikes and lows that would otherwise go undetected. It also helps understand the relationship between your diet as well as exercise and your blood sugar levels.
A continuous glucose monitor needs to be changed every 3 to 7 days. Also, it cannot be used to replace finger sticks or traditional home monitors. You may also need a little training on how to use the device correctly. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a general physician.
Some of the advantages of exercising regularly are known to all and these include weight loss and better blood circulation. However, the benefits of exercise aren’t just limited to the obvious. A few other not so obvious as well as a few surprising reasons are mentioned as follows.
Corrects your posture: Having a good posture is much more than just aesthetics. A good or bad posture determines your overall health in many ways. Having bad posture may result in localized problems, such as spinal deformities and vertigo among others and may also lead to muscles loss over a prolonged period. Exercising helps in improving your posture by strengthening bones and muscles in your back as well as the spine.
Improves memory: One of the not so obvious benefits of exercising is that it improves your memory. The connection may not seem so obvious, but exercising also improves blood circulation and supply of oxygen to all the body parts including the brain, which results in better memory.
Helps maintain and improve the immune system: The immune system within your body helps fight all the intruders and toxins that may cause an infection or illness. Exercising not only helps to maintain it, but boost it as well. As a result, you will fall sick less often and your immunity will stay strong even as you age.
Ensures your bones remain strong: Bone loss and other related disorders are a fact of life and become more pronounced as you age. However, exercising can curb the rate of decay and help in making your bones stronger. It is important to know that bone strengthening exercises are not the same for all ages and they need to be adapted as per the requirement.
Helps you have better sex: Exercising will help improve your blood circulation, muscle mass, mood and will keep you active. The endocrine glands are forced to work harder to produce hormones to maintain muscle mass and this also contributes to better sexual functioning. Exercising will help keep your sex drive high and help you have better sex by keeping you fit.
Ensures better sleep: Many of the sleep related disorders caused in the body are due to inactivity and lack of physical exertion. Once you start exercising, the physical exertion will help you get to sleep and also regulate your circadian rhythm or daily sleep and wake cycles.
Reduces stress and anxiety: Exercising releases endorphins which help improve your mood and help in reducing stress and anxiety. This in turn can help reduce hypertension and blood pressure, thus helping in controlling other related disorders.
Builds confidence: Exercising will improve your overall appearance and thus, help you have more confidence due to a better body image. However, it also helps by making you feel accomplished as you incrementally push your physical limits while exercising. This will spill over into every aspect of your life and help you be successful or deal with failure better. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
I have had cold for almost a week now. What are some home remedies for treatment of cough and cold. Also what should I do to avoid cough?
You go to the gym every day, lift heavy weights, but fail to notice gains. This means you have reached a plateau and your body has gotten used to the exercise you do.
Here are some tips to fire up your workout and make it more challenging:
- Circuit training: Circuit training is a type of workout that involves doing one exercise after another in a set time frame. There is no rest between the exercises and this increases the fat burning effect in the body. A typical workout consists of push ups, squats and sit ups.
- Diet: It is important that the food you are eating provides you with the necessary nutrients that allow your body to recover. Exercising takes a toll on your body; so eating a well balanced diet allows your body to recover from the stress of the workouts.
- Drink coffee: Drinking coffee before your workout increases your energy levels and enhances performance. It has also been reported that drinking coffee before a workout makes the workout more enjoyable.
- Exercise outside: Taking your workouts helps you in feeling more energetic and revitalized. It has also been reported that working out outdoors has a beneficial effect on your self-esteem. Exercising outdoors motivates you to work out regularly.
- Incorporate cardio: You should do cardiovascular exercises, which have a beneficial effect on fat burning. It improves blood circulation and raises your heart rate, thus strengthening your heart muscles. Incorporate high intensity interval training which has the maximum metabolic burn effect, which means you will keep the fat off your body.
- Add yoga: Add yoga to workouts as yoga contributes in making your body more flexible and supple. Yoga also calms the mind and improves your overall wellbeing. Start off with simple yogic poses such as the downward dog and the triangle pose.
- Switch it up: If you have been doing only strength training then switch to doing something new such as going for a jog or doing pilates. Switching from your regular routine helps in avoiding stagnation, thus increasing your gains.
Related Tip: "10 Benefits of Raw Green Papaya"