When a person experiences bleeding in his/her digestive tract, He/she is said to have been suffering from 'Hematochezia' (medical term for blood in stools). Certain diseases, anal fissure or colitis can cause such a condition in people. However, it does not reflect anything serious. A person with Hematochezia, suffers from vomiting, abdominal pain, weakness, weight loss and diarrhea. EGD, Nasogastric lavage and radionuclide scanning are some tests which can diagnose this condition in people.
HOW IS BLOOD IN STOOLS DIAGNOSED?
Sometimes, it can be a sign of Colorectal cancer.
Constipation is a medical condition in which one might face hardening of the feces. It is also accompanied by difficulty or restriction in passing feces from the anus. This generally occurs due to strained bowel movements. Constipation affects every person at least once in their lifetime.
Symptoms of constipation:
1. Strained bowel movement. Daily bowel movement is unusual.
2. Small circular stools which can also darken, this can be a symptom of constipation.
3. There is always a feeling that your bowels are not entirely cleared and that every bit of feces has not emerged from your anus.
4. Acute abdominal pain accompanied with swollen abdomen.
Why does constipation occur?
1. Medicines which contain aluminum or calcium.
2. Colon cancer can also be a cause for constipation sometimes.
3. If the usual diet changes all of a sudden.
4. Consuming a lot of dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter and yogurt can also cause constipation.
5. If you have some inherent eating disorders.
6. Bowel syndrome is also a common cause of constipation.
7. Mental health disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
8. Being very lazy and not engaging in outdoor activities.
9. Sometimes overuse of laxatives can also weaken bowel movements and cause constipation.
11. Sometimes many people experience problems with muscles and nerves in the digestive system.
12. Some medications which people generally take for pain and anti-depressants.
13. Stress and nervousness is also a cause for constipation.
14. Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is also a cause for constipation.
Colonoscopy is a test used when a person starts experiencing bloody stools, inflammation or bleeding from the anus. It usually allows your doctor to peek inside the inner lining of your large intestine which consists of the rectum and the colon. The procedure is performed using a thin colonoscope to look at the colon. It is generally used to find any cancerous growth like colon polyps and ulcer.
Why is colonoscopy performed?
1. It checks the exact cause of bloody stools and rectal bleeding.
2. Sometimes people have discoloration of stool, such as red or black stool. Therefore, colonoscopy is helpful during this time.
3. Chronic diarrhea also occurs, so colonoscopy checks the root of this problem.
4. If you are experiencing iron deficiency anemia then colonoscopy is performed.
5. Colonoscopy checks why there is sudden weight loss in some patients.
6. If there has been an abnormal result in your C.T scan or MRI results.
7. If there is unexplained belly pain which lasts for a longer time.
Bloody diarrhea and blood in poo usually occurs because of diseases such as piles.
Therefore it is important to get a doctor’s opinion if you start experiencing such symptoms. Lybrate offers you the best general physicians in Ludhiana, Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about constipation, blood in stools and its associated conditions.