Acne Scar, generically known as Acne Vulgaris, is a chronic skin condition that occurs when the hair follicles in the skin get clogged with dead skin cells and oil. These acnes have the possibility of forming a blackhead, whitehead or a pimple, and occur due to the dual reasons of hormonal fluctuations and oily skin and hair. The resultant effect leads to greasy skin and scars. Maintaining a good skin hygiene and a balanced diet can help you prevent acne.
HOW IS ACNE SCARS DIAGNOSED?
Scars are actually a part of the healing process of acne.
Acne is a recurrent skin disease that occurs when the hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and excess oil secreted from the skin. It is characterized by the appearance of blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and greasy skin and may often result in scarring.
The scars are caused when the pore becomes swollen, thus rupturing the wall of the follicle. If the lesion is shallow, it is a minor problem which heals quickly. If the break in the wall is deep however, the lesions created due to the spillage of infected material are also deeper.
Acne scars are mainly of two kinds:
• Hypertrophic or keloid: These scars are produced when the body produces excessive collagen to heal the wound resulting in the formation of raised tissue on the surface of the skin.
• Atrophic or depressed: These scars are formed when tissue is lost. The scars which are small in appearance but resemble small holes on the skin are icepick scars, while the circular or oval shaped depressions resembling chicken pox scars are boxcar scars.
Acne is usually caused by the following factors:
• Genetic: Genetic transmission predisposes a few people to acne formation.
• Hormonal activity: A change in hormone secretion as that which occurs during puberty or menstrual cycles may contribute to acne formation. The increased concentration of androgens in the female body increases sebum levels and the size of follicles.
• Medical conditions: High-androgen state can be induced by conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS, congenital adrenal hyperplasia and androgen secreting tumours leading to acne outbreaks in the affected person. It can also be a side effect of testosterone replacement therapy or anabolic steroid used as body-building supplements.
• Infections: Bacterial infections or parasitic mites may also result in acne.
• Diet- Consumption of oily food is considered to be contributive to acne.
• Psychological conditions: Stress factors have been observed to increase the severity of acne.
Acne Rosacea is a condition in which there is redness, appearance of superficially dilated blood vessels, pustules and swelling on the face, across the cheeks, nose, or forehead. It may also affect the ears, neck, chest and scalp.
Acne treatment involves a few home remedies for acne. They include:
• Lemon juice: Apply a few drops of lemon juice on your face and especially on the acne affected area. Wash it off after a while. You may also make a face pack with honey and lemon and apply it on the affected areas every day for 2-3 weeks.
• Honey: Mix two tablespoons of honey with 2-3 crushed aspirin tablets and a bit of water. Apply it on your acne scars and wash off after 15 minutes.
• Aloe vera Gel: Apply aloe vera gel to your acne scar twice, regularly.
• Baking soda: Massage your face with a paste of baking soda and water. Wash off with warm water after 2 minutes.
• Tea-tree oil or apple-cider vinegar: A few drops of any of these two ingredients diluted with a small quantity of water lightens acne scars.
Other courses of treatment of acne include:
• Benzoyl peroxide which effectively reduces the severity and the number of acne scars.
• Laser and filler treatments which are usually prescribed as a last resort to healing acne scars.
People suffering from acne are also advised to avoid exposure to the sun and to refrain from picking at their pimples or acne scars.
At Lybrate, the top dermatologists will provide you solutions for your acne problems. Ask the top dermatologists how to remove acne scars or book an appointment directly on our interactive website. Search for the best doctors and dermatologists in Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida, etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more information on acne scars, how to remove pimples, how to treat pimples, how to remove pimple scars and much more.