Cucumber, scientific name Cucumis sativus, belonging to the plant family Cucurbitaceae, has been a winner from the word go. From hunger pangs to skin care, cucumber has never disappointed. While most of the people consider it a healthy practice to have the cucumber peeled before eating, the truth is just the opposite. The health benefits of unpeeled cucumber are beyond imagination. Unfortunately, not many people are aware of this. In this article, we will discuss the health benefits associated with unpeeled cucumber.
- Keep constipation and related problems at bay: If constipation has been giving you sleepless night, worry no more! The answer to all your problems lies in unpeeled cucumber. The cucumber peel is laden with insoluble fiber that goes a long way to improve the conditions of constipation and associated discomfort. For those with hardened stool, the inner part of the cucumber comes as a great relief. A rich source of soluble fiber, it works towards softening the stool. All in all, the unpeeled cucumber aids in preventing digestive and bowel related problems.
- An unpeeled cucumber a day keeps the ophthalmologist away: Not known to many, but the cucumber peel is an excellent source of Vitamin A (beta-carotene). For a healthy vision and eyesight, Vitamin A is important. When you peel the cucumber, the beta- carotene goes straight down the drain, a mistake that can cost you dearly.
- Get rid of the stubborn and unwanted fats: For those into dieting, hunger pangs and food cravings are inevitable. You feel like munching something at every short time interval without affecting the calorie content. An unpeeled cucumber is extremely low in calories (each slice containing ~ 1-2 g of calories). The next time, the hunger pangs come to haunt you, a slice or two of unpeeled cucumber is what you should munch on.
- Slows down the signs of skin aging: Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) comes as a blessing for the skin. It plays a pivotal role in reducing and slowing down the signs of skin aging by protecting the skin from the harmful oxidative damage. It also acts as a catalyst, accelerating the collagen production. The unpeeled cucumber, rather the cucumber peels are a rich source of ascorbic acid, peeling which you rob the skin of an essential vitamin.
- Source of important vitamins: The unpeeled cucumber is also an important source of Vitamin K or blood clotting factor. The health benefits of vitamin K are not new. In addition to regulating the clotting of blood during an injury, Vitamin K is also involved in the mineralization of the bone (thereby reducing bone loss and associated problems). It also ensures the healthy functioning of the brain and may be instrumental in avoiding certain types of cancer.
- Source of Minerals: The cucumber peels are also laden with magnesium, a mineral known for its benefits. From fighting insomnia and migraine related headaches to relieving muscle spasms, improving the digestion to soothing the nerves, magnesium does these all and a lot more.
With so many health benefits, the next time you eat a cucumber, make sure it is unpeeled. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.