Understanding Male Sexual Problems
Though a topic like sexual dysfunction may seem extraordinarily private, to be properly evaluated and addressed you need to be able to talk openly and honestly with a health professional to regain a more satisfying sex life. To get to the heart of the matter you will need to evaluate your relationships, partners, past sexual history, possible depression, history of trauma, or other stresses in your life that may be inhibiting your ability to respond sexually.
A health care provider may take you through the following steps:
1. A physical exam checking for:
a. Check for high blood pressure
b. Possible vascular disease
c. Neurological disorder
d. Obvious signs of conditions affecting your penis or testicles
2. Blood tests to check for diabetes, thyroid disease, or other hormonal disorders
3. Review the list of medications and vitamins you use daily
4. You will be asked about whether you awaken with an erection - since men normally have multiple erections during sleep.
5. Your doctor may ask for an ultrasound exam to measure the blood flow within the pelvis (a penile Doppler study) to determine whether there is sufficient blood flow and pressure in the penis to allow for a suitable erection.
What Are the Treatments for Male Sexual Problems?
Depending on the issue at hand a number of possible treatments may be recommended, such as:
Medication to either:
Studies have shown that taking these measures above may slow the buildup of fats that can block the blood vessels.
Treatments for erectile concerns may include:
• A device that pulls blood into the penis or a vacuum inflation device
• Inflatable penile implants
• Prostaglandin urethral suppositories
• Self-injection of medications directly into the penis
• Vascular surgery to correct problems involving the veins of the penis
• Natural male enhancement supplements or herbal "viagra" pills
Psychotherapy, couples therapy, or consulting with a sex therapist may help with psychological barriers to sexual functioning.
The bottom line is that many sexual or erectile issues may vastly improve with a combination of healthy lifestyle, sometimes some counseling and perhaps scripted or herbal meds to assist.
Many men simply need a dose of sex-confidence. Fear of dating, performing or other intimacy anxieties can make a man wilt. Taking a natural male enhancer to boost performance anxiety often does the trick for millions of men.
Physical and psychological problems in relation to sex are not all that unusual as people age. Many senior men (and women) experience a decline in libido due to hormone levels, medications or other factors.
While naturally a dramatic blow to one's sex life may be caused by illness or injury, it may not be as well known that certain medications like those used to remedy high blood pressure and depression, are also known to reduce libido.
Declining levels of testosterone in both men and women, or possible nerve damage caused by diabetes may impair a man's ability to get and sustain erections. Shame about an aging body may cause a psychological impairment. Even boredom or relationship difficulties may dampen desire.
Remedying the sexual problem is advised because regular sex helps to keep circulation flowing to the genitals, which in itself is a pleasure booster. Sex also helps couples survive the ups and downs of long-term relationships. Sometimes a natural herb is all that is needed to get libido up and running again consider taking:
• Maca - used to arouse sexual desire
• Korean Ginseng - Panax ginseng - to improve mood, boost endurance and treat erectile problems
• L-arginine - an amino acid used for increasing blood flow, and helps with erectile problems