For long, under eye dark circles have been associated with stress, fatigue, or lack of sound sleep. However, there are a lot more factors that contribute to the appearance of dark circles. It is a well-known fact that the skin under our eyes is thinner as compared to the other body parts.
Dark circles appear when there is a dilation of the blood vessels present under eyes. It is these dilated and swollen blood vessels that appear as dark circles under the eyes.
The dilation, inflammation, irritation or rupture of the blood vessels can be an outcome of
- An increased use of eye makeups, skin allergies, dermatological conditions such as Eczema.
- Increased exposure to sun rays.
- Dark circles can be a hereditary condition.
- The dark circles can also be an outcome of the eye bags or protruding fats pockets.
- With age, the lower eyelid (along with the rest of the face) may lose volume.
Treatments for Dark Circles
- In case the dark circles are an outcome of allergies or eczema, consult a doctor. The use of over the counter antihistamine medicines can reduce the swelling and the puffiness to a great extent, thereby reducing the dark circles. Caution: Avoid self-medication. The medicines used should be the doctor recommended.
- Cosmetic Blepharoplasty: This is a surgical procedure to enhance the appearance of your eyes by taking care of problems including dark circles, eye bags, droopy eyelids. Depending on the requirement, Blepharoplasty helps to get rid of the excess fats, muscles, skin or tissues either from the upper or lower eyelids or both (lower eyelids in the case of dark circles) to provide significant improvement.
- Chemical peels and Acugel therapy: Peels and acugel treatment help in reducing dark circles and eye bags to a great extent.
- The Laser therapy that uses an intense light beam into the target skin area (in this case, the skin under the eyes) can play an instrumental role in reducing the dark circles, thereby making the eyes look younger and rejuvenated.
- One can also try out some home and natural remedies such as
- Potato, known for its bleaching properties can be used to deal with dark circles. Extract the potato juice (you can grate the potato). Dip a cotton in the potato juice and apply it on your closed eyes ensuring the dark circles are covered. Rinse off the eyes after 10-15 minutes with cold water. You can carry out the same procedure with rose water to reduce the dark circles.
- Applying chilled cucumber slices or chilled green tea bags on the dark circles will produce fruitful results.
- Packed with Vitamin E, almond oil can work wonders to reduce the dark circles. Gently massage the dark circles with almond oil before retiring to bed and then rinse it off (use cold water) the next morning.
- In addition to this, make sure you follow a healthy sleep routine (6-8 hours of daily sleep is a must).
- Take care of your diet. Foods such as eggs, salmon, green tea or avocados can produce significant improvement in the case of dark circles.
- Keep the body hydrated.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!