New Year Party Hangover - 8 Tips To Help You Get Over it!
Written and reviewed by
Dr. Hardik Thakker
90% (453 ratings)
MD - Internal Medicine, MBBS
Internal Medicine Specialist, Mumbai
13 years experience
Many of us will get up with a hangover after partying away on the eve of the New Year. But worry not, these are a few proven ways to get rid of a hangover and start the New Year fresh and bushy tailed:
- Drink lots of water: Alcohol is extremely dehydrating. Water is thus, the world’s best hangover cure. Alcohol messes up with the way the kidneys function and the body ends up losing around four times more water than usual. This leads to dehydration and causes symptoms like that thumping headache and dry mouth.
- Drink some frizzy water with a dash of lemon: The water will rehydrate you and the lemon and lime juice content which is alkaline will help balance the acid in your gut, quelling feelings of nausea. Fizzy drinks also speed up the break down of alcohol in the gut shortening the duration of a hangover.
- Take a mild painkiller: Painkillers that are paracetamol based are ideal for curing hangovers. They help with the headaches and muscle cramps. Just make sure that you don’t pop aspirins as these can further irritate the stomach and can increase the feeling of nausea.
- Eat something mellow: A starchy and wholesome breakfast with toast is highly recommended. So are mellow foods like bananas, apples and rice. These soothing foods will fill up your stomach without irritating it.
- Quick headache cure: You can whip up a headache remedy by using off-the-shelf kitchen ingredients. All you have to do is mix one spoon of baking soda in water and drink it quickly to get rid of a headache. What also works is drinking the juice of a tomato mixed with lime. Even a serving of fresh tomato soup with basil can provide relief.
- Take a bath by all means, except hot water: January is a cold month and hot water is inviting, but it’s not the best for getting rid of a hangover. And that’s because hot water will only make your condition worse because your body is already feeling the heat due to last night’s alcohol consumption which increases ‘pitta’ or fire element in the body according to Ayurveda. A cold water bath will help, but if you can’t brave the cold, you could also go for a lukewarm shower.
- Get moving: Get out in the open and indulge in a light workout or a brisk walk. This will break down the alcohol toxins into the sweat. A few yoga stretches and breathing exercises are good too.
- Sleep it off: This is probably the best option for treating a hangover as most hangovers don't last longer than 24 hours. Catching up on sleep is so much better than moping at home with a headache. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda and ask a free question.
found this helpful