Hives, also known as ‘urticaria’ is a skin disorder that is characterized by the formation of white or red welts on the surface of the skin. The sizes of the welts may vary and can last for up to six weeks or more. The disease is not life-threatening but the general discomfort associated with it can interfere with your daily activities. The symptoms of hives are treated by taking anti-histamines and anti-itching medications.
1. Development of red or white welts, especially on the torso, arms and the face
2. The welts may cause severe itching in your body.
3. Painful swelling on various parts of the body such as cheeks, lips and the insides of the throat
4. You may experience tightness in the chest and feel dizzy in hive conditions.
Hives occur when certain cells are triggered into releasing histamine (an organic nitrogenous compound). The various factors that trigger this condition are:
1. Insects bites or parasite bites also trigger hive in your body.
2. Continuous scratching at the same spot can trigger hive skin issues.
3. Various pain medications' side effects lead to the hive rash.
4. Prolonged exposure to sunlight.
5. High levels of stress.
6. Excessive consumption of alcohol can cause hive problem
This skin hive disease can lead to severe complications which have been listed below:
1. Severe allergic reaction: Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction that causes the bronchial tubes to narrow down thus, obstructing normal breathing. It is a condition that may, in certain cases, lead to death as well. Hence, you need prompt medical attention if you suffer from this complication.
2. Breathing complications: Swelling on the inner parts of the throat may obstruct normal breathing and cause you to pass out. It can also increase the risk of certain immune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and celiac disease (a disorder caused by eating gluten-rich foods in excess).
The treatment for hives rash on the skin includes taking anti-histamine medications that help in blocking histamine (organic compounds that help to regulate physiological functioning) in the body. You may also be administered anti-inflammation medications to reduce inflammation. Wear loose clothing and stop scratching away at the affected regions of the body to make sure you do not aggravate the condition. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
Update From Lybrate: Keeping your skin healthy is very important, therefore, We suggest you choose Skin Care Products according to your skin type requirements and usages at Lybrate.
In case you have a concern or query regarding skincare consult doctor online, you can always consult the best dermatologist online & get the answers to your questions.