Alopecia is the medical term for hair loss, a common problem for many women. Hair loss can be very distressing. But, it will be sheer folly on your part if you are suffering from hair loss silently and trying random methods to restore your hair. Finding the root cause of hair loss is absolutely essential in order to get the proper and required treatment.
The following are some of the causes of hair loss in women:
1. For many women hair loss is hereditary. Sometimes women also encounter genetic female pattern hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia. In this case, the density of hair reduces over the crown. It is also sometimes reported either after menopause or at the onset of puberty.
2. The changes that a woman's body undergoes in her entire life may also act as a contributing factor to hair loss.
3. Hormonal imbalances may result in hair loss. Also, cysts which are small sacs in the ovaries containing fluid like substances may be the cause of your hair loss.
4. Anaemia is a common cause of hair loss. Anaemia occurs due to low iron intake in your diet, heavy menstruation or due to inadequate folic acid. This may be a crucial factor for hair loss.
5. Many females experience hair loss after menopause. This happens as the level of estrogen hormones reduces. This makes your hair dry resulting in hair fall.
6. Hair loss also occurs post child delivery. The estrogen level rises during pregnancy but reduces after child delivery, resulting in hair loss in case of many women.
7. Taking excessive steroids or birth control pills may also contribute to hair loss.
8. Insufficient protein intake may cause your hair to fall. If your diet is deficient of the required amount of protein for your age then it may result in uncontrolled hair fall.
9. In some cases, sudden and extreme weight loss also contributes to excessive hair loss.
10. Diseases like thyroid, autoimmune diseases and scalp infections like ringworm may also result in hair loss at an alarming rate.
11. Use of hair styling tools such as strengtheners, curling irons or hair sprays, gels, hair colours may also act as contributing factors to hair loss. Use of wrong combs or tight hairstyles also leads to the problem of hair loss.
12. Stress or trauma also interrupts hair growth.
Along with all these, the natural process of ageing also deteriorates hair follicles resulting in hair loss. Most people normally shed fifty to a hundred hairs per day but if it is above that then it must not be ignored. You must consult a doctor to discover the root cause and get rid of the torment of hair loss.