Gestational diabetes is a condition characterized by higher than normal blood sugar levels during pregnancy. The symptoms of this disorder are mild and a blood test has to be conducted as a part of the diagnosis. In all cases, the women should be administered treatment to avoid medical complications associated with it and to be on the safer side. Proper diagnosis is absolutely essential in the case of women with prediabetes or those women who had diabetes prior to pregnancy.
When the insulin receptors fail to function normally, the blood sugar levels may rise. This is known to be one of the causes of gestational diabetes. Post pregnancy, the symptoms of gestations diabetes disappear on their own; however, such patients are an in increased risk of suffering from type 2 diabetes at a later stage. Moreover, children born to mothers with gestations diabetes are at an increased risk of suffering from conditions such as jaundice, diabetes, and certain other health issues.
As a part of gestational diabetes treatment, the expecting mother is advised to consume a nutritious diet, practice a daily exercise regime, and monitor blood sugar levels on a regular basis. Nonetheless, if your blood sugar levels become extremely high, you may be advised to take specific medicines to control it and avoid complications.
The following are some of the treatment methods used to manage gestational diabetes:
- Medical Treatment: Under modern medicine, the patients are prescribed antidiabetic drugs and insulin to keep blood sugar levels within the normal range.
- Natural treatment: Some of the ways to naturally manage gestational diabetes include the following:
- Balanced Diet: According to several research studies, an erratic eating schedule can cause diabetes because the functioning of the body gets disrupted. For this reason, consuming a balanced diet becomes extremely important. In fact, eating small meals at an interval of two to three hours is recommended by the nutritional experts. Consequently, the body becomes accustomed to metabolizing the nutrients and blood sugar imbalances are avoided as well.
- Exercise Regime: If you are suffering from gestational diabetes, then maintaining a regular exercise regime is beneficial. At the start, you can exert the body for 30 minutes and gradually, increase the time limit. Only the low-impact exercises such as swimming and walking are advised. However, be sure to consult your doctor beforehand.
- Fiber-rich Diet: The intake of foods that are rich in fiber such as whole grains and flaxseeds is advised for women with gestational diabetes. This nutrient helps balance the insulin levels within the body by regulating the activity of the insulin receptors. During pregnancy, women are advised to increase their consumption of fiber-rich foods anyway to improve their cardiovascular and digestive health. However, the positive effect of fiber-rich foods on insulin receptors is crucial during the onset of gestational diabetes.
- Additional Dietary Recommendations: During the gestational diabetes recovery period, foods that are sources of vitamin D (such as tofu, salmon, and mushrooms) must be consumed as they foster the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut and helps to have a healthy pregnancy. Other foods that pregnant women with gestational diabetes can benefit from include foods rich in vitamin C and proteins. Also, foods that come under the category of complex carbohydrates must be consumed. Moreover, women with gestations diabetes should abstain from sugar-rich foods.
Conclusion: On a concluding note, you should note that the above treatments for gestational diabetes should be practiced only after a thorough discussion with the doctor. Keep in mind that during pregnancy you have to adopt a precarious approach; by doing so, you can prevent you and your baby from getting adversely affected. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!