Food That Can Cause Your Blood Sugar Levels To Drop!
Dr. Vinanti Pol
92% (10 ratings)
MBBS, Post Graduate Diploma in Health Science in Diabetology, Master of Health Science Diabetology, Diploma in Clinical Cardiology
18 years experience
People who suffer from high blood sugar can find it quite hard to keep their sugar levels in check. While the common practice is to maintain a low carbohydrate diet that is useful on the whole, there are other alternative diet options as well. The food items mentioned below either help by lowering sugar level or by increasing insulin sensitivity.
Items to include in your diet
- Starch: One of the items that help lower sugar levels is resistant starch. Starches are long chains of glucose and are found in food items such as bananas, potatoes, oats and various others. There are a few varieties that pass through digestion unchanged and are not absorbed as glucose in the blood. They are known as resistant starch. This type of starch is also known to increase insulin sensitivity significantly. They help in transferring glucose from the bloodstream into cells thus lowering sugar level and offering energy to the individual after meals. It is advised to not consume potatoes, but take a resistant starch supplement since potatoes contain digestible carbohydrates that increase sugar level.
- Ceylon Cinnamon: This is another great ancient remedy that has many compounds that prevent sugar from entering the bloodstream. It also enhances insulin sensitivity. Other great alternatives include cashews and almonds. These dry fruits are rich in Magnesium which is a mineral that ensures blood sugar regulation.
- Fenugreek: A powerful herb that is also a good source of soluble fiber. It has several compounds that are known to improve blood sugar control.
- Shirataki noodles: They are very low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. Keeping your carbohydrate consumption low is very important for diabetes management. So, these Japanese noodles help in doing so. Since they contain mostly glucomannan, an indigestible fiber, Shirataki noodles help in reducing blood sugar levels after meals while improving other metabolic health factors in diabetics.
- Dark Chocolate: Another good option is cocoa in dark chocolate. The cocoa comes from the cocoa plant and contains flavanols. Cocoa is known to improve insulin resistance and overall blood sugar regulation. However, dark chocolate does contain a little sugar so you would want to go in for 85% cocoa or more. Treat this item as a cheat item for those days when you need to cheat with your diet since this has a neutral effect. Switching to dark chocolate immediately is best for those who are addicted to chocolate. It will serve as a neutral item at worst and will help with blood sugar regulation at best.
- Apple cider vinegar: Another beneficial item to add to your diet is apple cider vinegar. It is an ancient folk remedy that is known to increase glucose metabolism by increasing the sugar uptake from blood into cells.
These items are known to be very helpful for lowering blood sugar levels and keeping it in check. It is advised to consult your doctor and seek his approval before you add any of these items to your regular diet.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful