Different Methods Of Medical Termination Of Pregnancy!
The internet is filled with information about abortion but not everything you read is entirely true. A lot of information you come across maybe myths or misconceptions so, it is very important for you to have a thorough idea about abortion and the way it is performed. Before you go ahead with the abortion, you have to make sure you know everything there is to know about this.
In how many ways can you medically terminate a pregnancy?
Before going for an abortion, you should know and keep in mind that there are different ways through which an abortion is performed. So, with the help of your doctor, you need to decide which one you should opt for depending on your health and situation. Those methods are:
• Surgical abortion - This type of abortion is normally done with the help of general or local anaesthesia depending on the patient’s preference. Surgical abortions are normally done if any problems crop up in the later stages of the pregnancy. This process is just like the Caesarean process, but here the fetus is terminated by cutting off the umbilical cord and then delivered. Doctors suggest this method when the mother’s life is at risk or if there are complications in the later stages of the pregnancy..
• Curettage - Curettage is the process in which the fetus is terminated by cutting it out with an instrument known as a curette. Firstly, the pregnant woman’s uterus is dilated and after that, the fetus is removed. This method can only be done during the first trimester and after that, it becomes very risky. If this process is not carried out properly, it can cause grave injuries to the mother leading to haemorrhage and even death.
• Medical abortion - A medical abortion is normally performed in the initial stages of conception i.e., during the 9th week of pregnancy where you have to consume two types of medicines at least two days apart. Once you ingest the medication it initiates a miscarriage.
• Vacuum aspiration - This is one of the most common methods of abortion in which a sharp-edged tube is inserted through the vagina and into the amniotic sac where the fetus is cut into multiple pieces. Then a vacuum pump is stuck to the tube to pull out all the pieces. This type of abortion should be avoided after your 12th week of pregnancy.
Risks of a pregnancy termination
There are several risks of terminating a pregnancy which you should know about before you decide to go for it:
• Internal organs may get damaged
• The uterine lining can get scarred
• Lots of bleeding
• Thoughts about committing suicide
• Substance abuse
• The cervix can get damaged
• The uterus can have a hole in it
• Sexual problems
• Pain in the lower abdominal region
• High body temperature or fever
• Foul-smelling and dark vaginal discharge
Abortion is one of the many methods for avoiding pregnancies but the process itself can take a toll on you physically as well as mentally. So, being well aware of the whole process beforehand can help you in dealing with its after-effects.