Capsicum, be it the red, yellow or green, not only tastes great but is equally healthy and nutritious. It is known to be loaded with a wide range of essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, fibre. From heart to skin, the health benefits of capsicum will leave you with mouth open in wonder. In this article, we will discuss some benefits of capsicum which you cannot ignore.
- Capsicum is a powerhouse of antioxidants and plays a pivotal in warding off various cardiovascular disorders by protecting your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Capsicum also aids in keeping the brain healthy and disease free.
- The compound lycopene present in capsicum has anticarcinogenic properties and is especially helpful in preventing the incidence of prostate cancer. Capsicum is also a rich source of Vitamin C which goes a long way in the prevention of cancer.
- Capsicum has a high potassium content, a mineral that is vital for the healthy functioning of the heart and the bones. Potassium also helps in maintaining the blood pressure within the normal range.
- Capsicum (especially the red and yellow capsicum) contains ascorbic acid and antioxidants in abundance. As a result, capsicum comes across as a powerful immune boosting food that keeps various microbial infections, including flu and common cold at bay. The wonder food comes as a great relief for asthmatic patients.
- The red and yellow capsicum is an excellent source of folate. Folate is an important nutrient that contributes towards the development of the fetal brain and is thus highly recommended for pregnant women. The daily intake of dietary folate lowers the risk of birth defects such as spina bifida.
- High in dietary fibre, capsicum enhances the digestion process and also provides relief from constipation and associated discomfort. The dietary fibre (soluble fibre) present in capsicum makes it an ideal food for weight loss and management. Capsicum increases the metabolic activities of the body by many folds thereby aiding in the weight loss.
- Vitamin A which is necessary for healthy vision is present in abundance in capsicum. The role of vitamin A in strengthening the immune system along with its antioxidant properties makes capsicum a must included food in your diet.
- In addition to Vitamin C and antioxidants, capsicum also has anti-inflammatory properties and comes as a boon for the skin. Capsicum slows down the skin ageing, keeping the skin healthy, youthful and blemish free. It is also known to provide relief from acne. The vitamin C is what keeps the hair healthy (promotes collagen production with increased blood flow to the scalp).
- The vitamin C in capsicum plays a significant role in enhancing the absorption of Iron. Thus, people suffering from anaemia (due to iron deficiency) can benefit immensely from the consumption of capsicum.
Capsicum or the Bell peppers are imensely packed with good health. It has all the vital nutrients a body needs add it in your daily diet and stay healthy.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!