What do you mean by anal fissures?
An anal fissure is a little laceration in the moist tissue that lines the opening of the anus. An anal fissure might develop as a result of a trauma. For example, a person suffering from constipation (or diarrhea) can develop fissure as a result of exerting too much pressure while defecating.
Some of the symptoms of anal fissures include:
- Bleeding during defecation
- Defecation accompanied by a burning pain
- A persistent discomfort around the anus even after bowel movement
- Itching sensation
- In chronic case a small skin tag may be seen protruding out at Anal verge. Anal fissure causes considerable physical uneasiness and can mar one’s mood for days on end if left untreated.
For someone who has recently developed this disorder, home remedies might work.
- Sitz Bath: This is a very effective self-care remedy that can ease the pain that anal fissure is characterized with. Here one needs to soak the rectal area in warm water for 10-15 minutes to help improve blood flow and relax the anal sphincter. The routine should be repeated 3 to 4 times for better result.
- Fiber-rich diet: Patients suffering from constipation shall consume fiber-rich foods like wheat, whole grain, fruits, oatmeal and cereals.
- Fluids: These patients must drink 8 to 9 glasses of water on a daily basis to induce smooth passage of stool. Medicines Medicines are prescribed only if self-care treatment methods do not work.
Here is a list of the medicines that are used to treat anal fissures:
- Stool Softeners are advised for easy evacuation for example Haritaki Churna, Triphala Churna etc.
- Soothing Ointments: Any soothing ointment like cow’s Ghrit, coconut oil or Sushruta Ointment if applied in anal region will ease out the pain.
- Kshar Karma: Application of specialized Kshar Compounds under supervision of an Ayurvedic specialist at weekly sittings lead to healing of Anal Fissure.
Most common complication of Surgery is stool incontinence where patient is unable to hold stool due to damage to sphincter muscles. Whereas Ayurvedic Ksharsutra is a completely safe and more effective treatment. In this treatment Ksharsutra is ligated at the root of Sentinel tag. Medicine released from the thread blocks the blood supply of tag and it sheds off in 5-7 days. This combined with Kshar Karma sittings heals the fissure completely without any surgery. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!