Gynecomastia is basically swelling of the breast tissues in boys and men. This is usually caused due to an imbalance of the hormones, estrogen, and testosterone. Gynecomastia can affect either one or both the breasts, sometimes in an uneven manner. Newborn babies, boys who go through puberty along with older men might develop this condition as a result of normal changes in the levels of the hormone.
It is not necessarily a serious problem but men might find it difficult to cope with this condition. This condition can go away on its own. In case, it persists, consultations with a cosmetic/plastic surgeon can be of great help.
Before looking at the tips from a cosmetic/plastic surgeon to come out of this problem, let us briefly talk about the symptoms and causes related to Gynecomastia.
There are certain signs and symptoms, which suggest that men could well be suffering from gynecomastia. They include the likes of:
- Swelling of the breast gland tissue
- Nipple getting discharged in either one or both the breasts
Gynecomastia is usually triggered by a decrease in the amount of the hormone testosterone compared with estrogen. Different things can alter the hormonal balance like:
1. Natural hormonal changes
2. Several medicines including:
- Anti-androgens used for treating enlarged prostate, prostate cancer
- Anabolic steroids
- Medicines for AIDS
- Anti-anxiety medicines
- Tricyclic antidepressants
3. Consumption of alcohol
4. Heroin and other such drugs
5. Several health conditions like Hypogonadism, Hyperthyroidism, Kidney failure, Live cirrhosis, etc.
Tips From Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon-
Consultation with Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon can let men have useful tips as to the treatment as well as prevention of Gynecomastia. They include the following:
- Liposuction Treatment can be an ideal way to get rid of this problem. It removes fat from the breast but leaves behind the breast gland tissue in its place. The treatment involves making two or more small incisions through narrow tubes get inserted into the chest region. The tube gets moved around gently to loosen up the excess fat tissue, which is then sucked out. The treatment involves less amount of scar.
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon can advise patients that there are iatrogenic causes behind this problem like side-effects from any medicine or health issues like an overactive thyroid or tumor.
- Mastectomy can be another effective method of treatment. It is performed endoscopically and thus has a quicker recovery time. A patient can stay at the hospital for a few hours and go back. This involves less amount of scarring.
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeons can also go for another extremely effective method in their hands to take care of this problem of Gynecomastia. It is the Excision Technique. This is recommended where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed to cure this. The patterns of incision would vary depending on the specific conditions and patients’ surgical preference.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!