Depression is definitely something to do with the mind. However, it is important to realize that the brain does not work independently on its own. It still requires the energy that is supplied from the food that is consumed. It is also well known that most reactions in the brain are chemical reactions, be it happiness or sadness. The food that is consumed definitely has chemicals identified which can make the brain act in different ways. So, if the brain is feeling depressed, there are definitely some foods which can change that.
If you are someone who is feeling the blues and do not want to take a pill, try these happy foods which can definitely produce a change.
- Tomatoes: Bright red tomatoes look so good, they make you feel happy. However, they also contain lycopene, which is a phytonutrient that fights inflammation. Stress leads to constant inflammation in the body, and lycopene fights that. The smaller the tomato, the more benefit you have. The maximum benefit is from the skin, and so smaller ones are more useful with their better skin-to-fruit ratio.
- Bananas: Serotonin is one of the happy chemicals (neurotransmitter) that enhances mood. Bananas contain tryptophan which gets converted to serotonin in the body. No wonder that eating a banana makes one feel happy and carefree. If you have not observed, do so next time you eat a banana!
- Nuts: Some nuts can make you go nuts with laughter as they are rich in protein, a perfect snack, and refrain you from snacking on fried foods. What is lesser known is that they contain Omega-3 fatty acids which are proven to beat depression clinically. Vitamin E in them helps fight stress and inflammation, making it more beneficial.
- Oregno: This herb is full of health benefits. It contains caffeic acid and quercitin and rosmarinic acid, which are all proven to fight anxiety, fatigue, and sadness. What makes it more attractive is that is easy to grow, even in a pot on the kitchen window. Add it to your veggies and see your mood brighten up!!
- Chocolates: While biting into a chocolate leaves you grinning, there is a scientific reason for it. The bitter ones, especially, cause release of serotonin and anadamine, which make you feel happy and light. The darker the chocolate, more the happiness.
- Sweet potatoes: They are laden with carbohydrate and tryptophan, which as noted earlier helps fight depression. It also contains vitamin B6, a proven natural anti-depressant. Their rich content of magnesium and potassium also reduces stress.
Before reaching out for a pill to beat the blue, try these colorful food substances and see yourself feeling better and happy!