Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection
On using Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection you may experience side effects such as nausea, vomiting, respiratory issues, fever and diaphoresis. If the allergic reactions persist or become worse over time contact your health care provider right away.
Do not use Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection if you have/are :
- Allergic to any of the ingredients contained in it,
- Already taking any other prescription or non-prescription drugs,
- Just had a surgery,
- Liver/ Kidney/ Lung/ Mental/ Mood problems,
- Breathing problems,
- Allergic to any foods, substances or medicines,
- Pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding a baby,
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome,
- Low blood pressure,
- Overweight at present.
The dosage for Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection should ideally be prescribed by your doctor. The usual dose in adults is about 100 mcg for the tablet and spray which needs to be taken sublingually. The dose for the transmucosal lozenge is about 200 mcg.
While using this medication, do not use alcohol and other prescription or OTC medications (especially sedatives, tranquilizers, antihistamines, or pain medications) without consulting prescriber.
Maintain adequate hydration (2-3 L/day of fluids unless instructed to restrict fluid intake). Use caution when driving, climbing stairs, or changing position - rising from sitting or lying to standing, or when engaging in tasks requiring alertness until response to drug is known.
Treatment of an overdose includes support of the patient's airway, establishment of an I.V. line, and administration of naloxone 2 mg I.V. (0.01 mg/kg for children) with repeat administration as necessary up to a total of 10 mg.
Increased Intracranial Pressure
Is It safe with alcohol?Additive CNS effects, avoid or limit alcohol; watch for sedation. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?Unknown. Human and animal studies are not available. Please consult your doctor.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?Caution is advised when driving or operating machinery due to blurred vision which might be caused after taking it. Kindly avoid driving as it requires consciousness.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution should be used in patients with renal impairment. Dosing adjustment in renal impairment:
- Clcr 10-50 mL/minute: Administer at 75% of normal dose.
- Clcr <10 mL/minute: Administer at 50% of normal dose.
Does this affect liver function?There is no data available. Please consult doctor before consuming the drug.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?If you miss a dose of Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Seek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor in case of an overdose.
This medication belongs to a class of drugs known as an opioid that makes it useful in chronic pain management. It works by binding itself to mu-receptor in the central nervous system that results in low intracellular cAMP and reduction in the release of neurotransmitters.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Medicine
Interaction with Disease
- Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection shares the toxic potentials of opiate agonists, and precautions of opiate agonist therapy should be observed; use with caution in patients with bradycardia; rapid I.V. infusion may result in skeletal muscle and chest wall rigidity impaired ventilation respiratory distress apnea, bronchoconstriction, laryngospasm; inject slowly over 3-5 minutes; nondepolarizing skeletal muscle relaxant may be required. Tolerance of drug dependence may result from extended use.
- Topical patches: Serum fentanyl concentrations may increase approximately one-third for patients with a body temperature of 40°C secondary to a temperature-dependent increase in fentanyl release from the system and increased skin permeability. Patients who experience adverse reactions should be monitored for at least 12 hours after removal of the patch.
- The elderly may be particularly susceptible to the CNS depressant and constipating effects of narcotics.
Interaction with Food
Ques: What is Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection used for?
Ques: Where is Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection approved?
Ques: What are the dietary specifications while taking Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection?
Ques: How is Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection administered?
Ques: Does Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection lead to drug dependency?
Ques: Is Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection safe for usage in pediatrics?
Ques: What are the storage instructions of Trofentyl 50Mcg Injection?
Fentanyl-Drug Information Portal [Internet].druginfo.nlm.nih.gov 2022 [Cited 14 June 2022].Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/fentanyl
Fentanyl-DrugBank Online [Internet].go.drugbank.com 2022 [Cited 14 June 2022].Available from:https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00813
FENTANYL injection,solution-DailyMed [Internet].dailymed.nlm.nih.gov 2022 [Cited 14 June 2022].Available from:https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/search.cfm?labeltype=all&query=FENTANYL
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.