Anyone with high cholesterol levels should indulge in regular workout. True or false? Take this quiz to know more.
1. Which of these is an important part of high cholesterol management?
• Living a deprived life
• Eating saturated fats and trans-fatty acids
• Choosing healthier fats
• Not drinking any alcohol
Answer: Choosing healthier fats
When you are affected with high cholesterol levels, you should choose the fats very wisely. You must try to avoid trans-fatty acids and saturated fats at any cost which are mainly availed from dairy products, processed meat, and packed foods. Make sure you avoid cookies, crackers, snack cakes which are commercially produced as they tend to increase your bad cholesterol levels.
Tip: Eat a lot of pecans, almonds, avocados and cook the food in canola or olive oils since they are viable sources of healthy fats.
What should you do to bring down the cholesterol levels?
• Limiting dietary cholesterol
• Eating whole grains
• Choosing fruits and vegetables
• All of the above
Answer: All of the above
The most important sources of concentrated cholesterol include egg yolks, organ meats and whole milk products. Thus, you should avoid these foods and replace them with lean meats, beans and skimmed milk. Moreover, it is advised to choose whole grain products which promote the health of your heart. Also, fruits and vegetables are high in dietary fiber which helps you to feel fuller longer and reduce the burden of cholesterol.
Tip: Experiment with seasonal fruits and stir fry various kinds of vegetables to prepare a healthy meal. Also stock up on oats, whole-wheat pasta and brown rice.
People with high cholesterol levels should avoid eating fish.
There are various types of heart-healthy fishes including tuna, cod, halibut and others which have a meagre amount of total fat and cholesterol than poultry and meat. Also, fishes like mackerel, salmon and herring have high amounts of Omega 3-fatty acids which help in reducing cholesterol levels.
Tip: Eat a lot of these fishes, every day.
Weight loss is a crucial component of reducing cholesterol levels.
Excessive weight increases the cholesterol levels and therefore, doctors always recommend to lose at least 5 to 10 pounds in order to see a fall in the cholesterol levels. You must take a close look at your eating habits and find out what are the obstacles to weight loss and how is it possible to overcome them.
Tip: You should try to set goals which are sustainable and can be followed for a long time.
Anyone with high cholesterol levels should indulge in regular workout.
Did you know that regular workouts can aid in reducing the cholesterol levels? Work up to 30 to 60 minutes each day which can be in the form of swimming, biking, strength training, and elliptical training or any intensive workout. Take a brisk walk each day for at least 20 minutes. You can also do interval training for reaping the benefits of exercise without straining yourself. If you are not at all into exercise, you can start with brisk walking for at least 30 minutes each day. To keep up the motivation, find an exercise buddy or join a workout group.
Getting your period isn't exactly the most desirable biological process of life. But a lighter than normal period, can throw you off and make you start worrying about all the possible things that can be wrong with you. Even though every girl has her individual menstrual cycle, an average cycle should have a duration anywhere between three to seven days.
But when you don't expel the average amount of fluid (30 to 80 ml) and your cycle lasts only two days, it's a general indication of a problem. If your period lasts for two days you should consult a gynaecologist and buy preventive health check-up online. There are actually a few common reasons your period is light.
Here are five discussed below:
1. Hormone Imbalance
Estrogen and progesterone are the hormone duo that are largely the reason for orchestration of the menstrual cycle. The dip and rise in these two hormones can make your cycle a rollercoaster ride. When your hormones are unstable, your menstrual gets altered.
For instance, estrogen is in charge of the uterus lining. So, if your hormone levels are lower your uterus lining may not thicken enough for you to have a normal full period cycle. Also, having a high level of testosterone can also lead to a scanty period.
2. Birth control
When people are on hormonal birth control, a side effect you might suffer from is a lighter period or even goes away. This is actually a commonly discussed "perk" of long-acting reversible contraception option, like the IUD or implant. The reason for this is often attributed to endometrial atrophy, which is when your uterine lining gets thinner gradually.
Stress is a major risk factor to many reproductive health issues. If you are stressed, your body releases two hormones, cortisol and adrenal. Both these chemicals upset the stability of other hormones, even the ones responsible for the reproductive system.
Cortisol impacts the production of both estrogen and progesterone your body produces. So, if you are stressed and your body is flooded with cortisol, you might experience light period, late or no period.
Your body requires needs a specific amount of fat to be able to menstruate normally. This makes total sense in an evolutionary viewpoint, since your body should be the focus on its own health first. A low body weight can cause your menstrual cycle to diminish or even pause for some time. Light periods are also a result of an extreme weight loss, or eating disorders.
5. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Another common reason why your period might be scanty is PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome for the endocrine system that causes hormone to get imbalanced. If you have this syndrome, you may be prone to small cysts forming on your ovaries which can cause the instability of hormones leading to excess hair, obesity, acne, and scanty periods. In addition to scanty periods you might even experience other symptoms, which you have to ask your doctor for ovarian cysts.
With the growing importance on how a person looks, everybody is obsessed with trying to look younger and prettier. Skin that is flawless, glowing, and clear is not just something celebrities want but is every person’s dream. It is no wonder that the cosmetic industry has grown by leaps and bounds in terms of technology and chemical based treatments.
Talking of cosmetic skin treatments, two of the most common methods are chemical peels and microdermabrasion. Read on to know about these skin exfoliation techniques.
The skin has multiple layers, and with constant exposure to the environment, the top layers are constantly exposed to pollution and dust and sunlight. This makes the skin very dull and weary. There are also dead cells on the top, which need to be removed so that fresh cells from the underlying layers surface up to give the skin a fresh, glowing look. This is known as skin exfoliation.
Due to various reasons, when skin does not repair naturally, the role of chemical peels comes in play. This helps in removing these top layers, thus, in turn, removing the rough, dry layers and giving the skin, a good texture.
What is done?
This is a physical exfoliation technique, in that the top layers are manually cleared of debris and dead cells. This produces instant results, but cannot be used in acute cases where the skin is inflamed or sensitive.
What is done?
While both are well-proven techniques for exfoliation, the treatment option is decided by the doctor by consulting the patient. Each person’s response to such treatments is different, so choose the treatment that will be most beneficial and effective for you.
The allure to look young is always compelling and the recent advancements in medical technology have resulted in many procedures, which can help you knock off years. In fact skin care related to anti aging is one of the largest and fastest growing industries within the medical realm. Let's take a look at some of the procedures which are very effective in anti aging skin treatment:
1. Specialized Chemical Peels: In this procedure a doctor will put specially formulated acids on the area of your skin, which needs to be treated. This results in the abrasion or slight burning of the skin after, which new skin cells grow in its place, hence removing age related spots, wrinkles as well as freckles.
2. Injection of Botulinum Toxin Type A or Botox: This is possibly one of the most famous and well known anti aging treatments all over the world. This treatment involves injecting Botox into strategic areas of the face to reduce wrinkles and creases that may occur due to aging. This treatment is especially effective for frown lines on the forehead and close to eye corners.
3. Laser Resurfacing and or other Radio Frequency Treatments: These machine related treatments also use the principle of abrasion or wounding the skin to encourage the growth of new tissue. In laser resurfacing, a laser beam destroys the epidermis or the outer layer of the skin and heats up the dermis or the lower layer of the skin. As the wounded skin tissue heals, new tissue takes it place which is tighter, thus giving you a younger look.
4. Facelift surgery: It is a cosmetic surgical procedure, which takes quite some time to heal but is known to have long term results. In this procedure, excess skin and fat from your face and neck are removed surgically and after the bruising and the scarring have subsided, the new skin is much tighter thus making you look much younger.
5. Microdermabrasion and Dermabrasion: These procedures employ the abrasion tactic to the fullest to destroy old tissue and encourage the growth of new tissue. Dermabrasion uses the technique of sanding the skin with a rotating brush where new skin needs to grow. Microdermabrasion is a more subtle technique as it uses finer equipment to sand away only the top layer of skin and the side effects of redness, swelling and scabbing tend to be lesser compared to conventional Dermabrasion.
6. Other Soft Skin Tissues Filler Injections: There are many other forms of soft skin tissue fillers other than Botox, which can be directly injected into the required area. Some of these are fats, gels and collagen which can be directly injected into wrinkles. These fillers work by swelling and plumping up the area around the skin to give it smoother look. However, these treatments also need to be done at frequent periodic intervals of a few months.
Canker sores are also known as aphthous sores and are the most common type of mouth ulcers. They mostly occur on the inside of the lips or cheek and are mostly whitish or yellowish in color. The sores are mostly surrounded by inflamed, reddish soft tissue. Canker sores commonly appear between the age of 10 and 20 years. They mpe ay create a tingling sensation in the mouth that makes eating, talking or swallowing difficult. In some cases, canker sores may cause general malaise and headache.
Reasons behind canker sores
1. Any kind of viral infection
2. Unhygienic brushing habits, such as not cleaning the mouth often or well enough.
3. Hormonal fluctuations, especially during the menstrual cycle
4. Inadequate rest and sleep
5. Low immunity
7. Food allergy
8. Deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals
9. Some kind of mouth injury
10. Ill-fitted dental appliances such as braces or dentures.
11. Acidic or spicy food.
Types of canker sores and symptoms
Canker sores are mainly of two types
1. Simple canker sores: These may occur twice or thrice in a year and can heal without treatment within a span of 3 to 4 weeks.
2. Complex canker sores: These sores generally appear in the elderly, mostly in those who have a history of frequent sores. These may be accompanied by swelling of lymph nodes, very painful sores, high fever, headache, fatigue and general illness. Inflammation and infection of the ulcers may also occur if not diagnosed and treated on time.
Ways canker sores can be treated
1. Antimicrobial mouth wash to rinse the mouth
2. Antibiotic mouthwashes or oral pills
3. Corticosteroid ointments can be applied on the affected area to reduce the inflammation and promote rapid healing.
4. Drinking milk, consuming yoghurt or ice cream is known to provide relief.
After a robust workout at the gym, nothing feels quite so good as spending a little time in a sauna or steam room. The concentrated heat pouring over the body seeps into the muscles and relaxes them after their exertions and helps a guy wind down. But is there any reason to wonder if using a sauna (or similar options, like a steam room) could have an impact on penis health, and in particular, on penis function? It's a good question and one which those concerned about their penis should consider.
There are two basic types of saunas: wet and dry. Wet saunas use steam to create their hot environment. Dry ones do not. Saunas often use very hot rocks as their heating source, with water added to them to create the steam. Wet saunas tend to be hotter than dry ones, but both create situations where a person produces sweat. This sweat helps to cool the body down while at the same time helping to release toxins.
Pros and Cons
There are many pros and cons associated with using a sauna. Some of the pros include:
- Reducing stress. Spending an appropriate amount of time in a sauna can help relax a body and reduce levels of stress. Stress, of course, is associated with many health problems and can be a contributing factor to penis function issues.
- Increasing blood circulation. Blood vessels tend to relax through sauna exposure, and pulse rates go up. This allows the blood to circulate more freely and rapidly throughout the body. (Healthy and unimpeded blood flow, of course, is also important for good penis function.)
- Weight loss. While sitting in a sauna is not going to shed poundage in a significant way, long-term consistent use, especially in tandem with exercise and dietary changes, can contribute to losing a little bit of weight. And since obesity can be a detriment to penis function, this doesn't hurt.
- Healthy skin. By ridding the body of toxins, skin - including penis skin - often benefits by being healthier and stronger.
But what about cons? Some negatives to consider include:
- Dry skin. If a guy spends too much time in the sauna, the healthy skin benefits dry up - literally, as the oils that are necessary for good skin maintenance get sucked out.
- Blood pressure may react negatively. People with hypertension need to be careful about how much time they spend in a sauna. The increase in circulation and pulse rate can also lead to an increase in blood pressure, if a guy with hypertensive tendencies doesn't pace himself. And high blood pressure situations are a no-no for sustained penis function.
- Sperm effect. Sperm do not appreciate excessive heat situations. Prolonged exposure to hot conditions is known to lower sperm count, so staying too long in the sauna may affect a guy's little swimmers.
Ultimately, whether a sauna is good or bad for a man's penis function really depends on the individual; certainly men with cardiac or blood pressure issues should consult with a doctor before using a sauna. But in general, for a typically healthy man, most sauna use is fine so long as common sense is used. In other words, don't spend too long a time in the sauna, be sure to stay hydrated, leave if feeling sick, etc.
At some point in his life, every man will have an unfortunate case of blue balls. It's simply a fact of life that at some time, a man will get interrupted right before or right as he is doing the deed, and he won't be able to finish, for whatever reason. As a result of that rude interruption, a man will suffer from the strange penis pain that he can't seem to remedy. What should he do? Is penis care different in the wake of blue balls? What are blue balls, anyway? And is the condition dangerous? Here are the facts.
Fact #1: Blue balls are a real thing.
Though some might say the penis pain of blue balls is actually all psychological, that's not true. When a man gets aroused, the body shunts plenty of blood to his penis to allow it to get hard and ready for action. Once a man ejaculates, that blood quickly flows out of the penis and he becomes soft again. However, when a man is interrupted in the middle of the act, the penis doesn't have that fast-release mechanism for blood. As a result, the blood stays in the penis longer than it would otherwise, draining out slowly, and giving that strange penis pain that often migrates lower, creating the 'blue balls' effect.
Fact #2: Does having blue balls do any damage in there?
Though it can feel as though the penis and surrounding area is in really rough shape, the truth is that a case of blue balls doesn't have any lasting effects. Having blood in the area for longer than usual won't cause even mild damage. There is one caveat, however: if a man has an erection that lasts for four hours or more, that means the blood is not draining at all, and that could be a bad thing. At that point it's time to go to the emergency room.
Other than this very clear emergency, balls are just... balls. It's a strange penis and balls pain that will go away eventually on its own.
Fact #3: Does having blue balls affect fertility?
Good news: Having blue balls doesn't affect the little swimmers. This myth might have come about because sometimes, especially for men whose penis tends to become a darker hue during excitement, the balls and even the base of the penis might take on a bluish tinge during an episode of blue balls. And as many know from watching one too many medical dramas on television, a blue tint to the skin usually means bad things!
But in this case, it just means there's a lot of blood trapped in there that is taking its sweet time in getting out. It won't affect a man's fertility at all.
Fact #4: Sometimes a guy might have to wait it out.
For some men, having blue balls means the end of their night of excitement. That's because the occasional man won't be able to ejaculate after having blue balls for a long period of time. His ability will come back, of course, but sometimes not for several hours. Scientists aren't sure why this happens, but it's speculated that the feeling of pressure in the penis and surrounding area might make it more difficult for a man to feel the sensations he needs to get off. But no worries - a man is usually ready and raring to go again the next day with no problems!
When a guy is recovering from a case of blue balls, it's time to reach for a strong penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin). A crème with nutrients that enhance blood flow, such as vitamins C and D, as well as L-arginine for opening up the blood vessels, is a good idea. And a crème that contains Shea butter and vitamin E can help him keep skin smooth, supple and ready for action the next time the opportunity rolls around.
The internet is full of various weight loss tips most of which are unrealistic and unpractical. So here I list some practical tips for weight reduction.
1. Set a goal which is realistic- unrealistic goals of losing 10 kgs in a month will lead you to fad diets which are unhealthy and unsustainable. Set a goal which is real. Weight loss of 2-3 kgs is considered practical.
2. Stay away from quick solutions- don’t go for fad diets, mono diets, ketogenic diets etc. These diets are not going to solve your problem but instead might create other health complications. Hence go for balanced diet. The key is to reduce the amount of calorie intake to the amount of calories burnt.
3. Consult a dietician/nutritionist- consult a dietician or nutritionist to get a personalized diet plan that suits your needs and lifestyle. This will help to learn in details about the weight loss process, will help you to stay focused and also learn the caloric values of your home dishes and to control your cravings and how to maintain your calorie intake.
4. Avoid commercially available foods. Opt for homemade foods.
5. Anticipate plateaus- they are common to all. They occur due to accumulation of water as fat is used up. Increase exercise in this period to help get rid of this water and restart weight reduction.
6. Avoid a sepearate menu for yourself, instead adapt your dietary needs from the regularly prepared family dishes.
7. When eating away from home, avoid excesses but do not get upset if you miss your diet plan. Adjust the following day’s menu or the remaining part of the day’s diet to compensate for the occasional excess calorie intake.
8. Avoid use of appetite depressants and such type of medications. The unnatural practices may do more harm than good.
9. Include physical activities in your daily regime. Be it running, jogging, cycling, swimming or any outdoor sport you like.
10. Avoid binging. Your self-determination and mental control will see you through.
Make weight loss a healthy and sustainable process, you are sure to enjoy it lifelong.
Testosterone is the predominant male hormone that is responsible for various desirable masculine traits and qualities. This characteristics and traits include higher energy levels and muscle mass, increased libido and improved cognition.
Getting down and dirty is a lot of fun for any man, but to do so he definitely needs to carry around a clean penis. A sex tip that is basic but most definitely important is simply this: an unclean member is not going to get the rate of action to keep a man happy. And why should it? No partner wants to be intimate with a tool that reeks or is clearly not receiving adequate and attentive penis care. Taking heed of these hygiene tips is definitely advised.
- Underwear is under-care. Hopefully any adult male reading this already realizes that changing into clean underwear daily is essential. Changing more than once a day is recommended if one engages in activity that creates a lot of perspiration down below. In addition, wear cotton undergarments that "breathe" and keep things a bit cooler down there. Sweaty undergear creates a bacterial situation that encourages strong and unpleasant odor, as well as causing damage to the delicate penis skin.
- Outerwear is also under-care. When a guy has a rocking bod, he faces a dilemma: Does he wear a pair of skin-tight jeans that shows off his muscular thighs and his firm rear but that will cause more sweat in the crotch department? It's a personal decision, but if opting for tightness, a man needs to take extra precautions to battle the odor and skin issues that may result.
- Air things out. Every once in a while, it's good for a guy to let everything hang out. Walking around the home naked allows Nature's air conditioning to disperse excess odors and sweat. Guys who are in a position to regularly expose their penis and testicles to the air in the privacy of their own home should do so.
- Do spot checks. A clean penis is generally a healthy penis, but sometimes a guy needs to do a little extra checking. Taking the time to carefully examine the package on a regular basis (including using a mirror to look at the underside of the penis and the testicles) helps to identify any spots, splotches, bumps, etc. that might otherwise be missed.
- Wash, of course. Like the rest of the body, the penis needs to be washed regularly - something which all the men reading this piece are hopefully already doing. However, simply washing may not be enough. Because the skin on the penis is so sensitive, it's important that the soap one uses is appropriately mild. Rough cleansers or soaps with perfumes and chemicals can cause dermatological reactions, such as rashes, splotches, dryness, flakiness, etc. - and those can be a big turn-off to a partner (especially where oral sex is concerned). Finding a soap that cleans without irritating is essential.
- And dry, too. After washing, a guy needs to make sure he dries off well. Using a soft towel helps to avoid skin irritation. Drying thoroughly and all over the package, including where the testicles meet the crotch, the anus and the legs, helps to prevent issues like jock itch from developing.
- Go for crème. Even a man who practices good hygiene is likely to find that his clean penis is not looking as good as it should. This is where another important sex tip comes in handy: Men need to regularly use a superior penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) to really enhance their penis health. First off, a crème with natural moisturizers (such as Shea butter and vitamin E) and with an anti-bacterial ingredient such as vitamin A is positioned to fend away both common penile skin issues and persistent member odors, two of the biggest complaints from many partners. But the benefits don't stop there. Man1 Man Oil also contains L-arginine, which boosts nitric oxide and therefor helps keep the all-important penile blood vessels open, as well as vitamin C, which is an aid in collagen production and penile tissue firmness. Rubbing in a good crème daily is an easy way to maintain the penis health that all men - and their partners - desire.