The passing of urine has very important functions in your body as it clears out many of the toxins filtered by the kidneys. Urine primarily contains urea and uric acid, which are the results of the toxins being flushed out of the body. Urine color can be a good indicator of either what is in your system and in certain cases what may be wrong in your system.
Urine color and what it signifies:
Normal urine doesn't have a single color as it varies from clear to pale yellowish. There are certain foods, which may also leave a tinge of color, such as red or green in you urine. However, there are certain conditions, which can result in the same. Let's looks at some examples of these situations.
- Orange: Certain medications tends to have a side effect of making your urine of an orange colour. Medications, which have high doses of vitamin B2, the drug phenazopyridine and other such medicines are used to treat urinary tract infections. Moreover, certain antibiotics are known to have side effects of changing the urine color into a citrus drink like color. However, it could also mean problems with your liver or bile duct and you should consult a doctor in such cases.
- Red or Pink Urine: Phenazopyridine also causes red or pink urine in certain individuals. However, the major cause for urine of this hue is due to certain foods, such as beets, blackberries, rhubarbs, carrots and others. However, in the absence of such foods and medication, it could mean blood in your urine, urinary tract infections, tumors or even prostate problems.
- Blue or green: Certain conditions within the body are known to cause blue or green hues in urine. If you are having blue or green urine consistently then it is advisable to go to your doctor to get it checked out. Some medications, such as propofol or promethazine can also have the side effect of turning pee blue or green. However, in most cases it is the harmless food dye, which is filtered out of your system.
- Cola colored or dark brown urine: Although this can also be caused by certain medications or foods, it could be a marker for kidney disorders or internal injuries. It is advised that you go to your doctor urgently to get it checked.
- Dark yellow to amber or honey colored: This is the classic sign that your body is quite dehydrated and you need to drink more water. Dehydration may lead to more serious problems and thus this shouldn't be ignored and must be taken care of urgently.