The human body is designed to process foods with the help of fibers. The benefits of fibers are being recognized widely, and people are being advised to increase their fat content. Per day, the body requires about 25 to 30 g of fiber per day.
The body requires two types of fibers - soluble and insoluble. The soluble ones absorb water during digestion, contribute to stool bulk, and are believed to reduce cholesterol levels. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, oats, and barley are good sources of soluble fibers.
It takes a little planning to ensure your food is fibrous, but the benefits will be lot and long lasting. Follow some of the following simple steps and your will see them for yourself:
- Vegetables: On a lighter note, make sure each meal of yours is as colorful as possible. Include good amounts of carrots, radish, greens, legumes, tomatoes, cabbage, and any vegetable that you like in each meal. This ensures that you get all the fiber and nutrients that you want in a meal. Baked, boiled, raw - choose any form that you like.
- Fruits: It is advisable to eat a raw fruit as compared to having its juice. The fiber content gets reduced when you convert it to a juice. Try not to discard the peel, unless it is not edible at all, pineapple or jackfruit for example. Fruits, along with vegetables, form the most natural and best source of fiber. About 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day will get you all the fiber you need for a day - 25 to 30 g per day. Berries, pears, prunes, figs, apples, oranges, apples, pears, mangoes, pineapples - take your pick.
- Whole grains: Whether you are picking up bread, noodles, cookies, or a packet of pasta, make sure they are made of whole grains and not refined flour. Include one cereal in your breakfast. Oats, barley, wheat germ powder, flaxseeds can all be good sources of fiber. Replace white rice with brown rice to get more fiber.
- Water: Though not a direct contributor to fiber, increasing the water intake makes the fiber from the above mentioned foods more effective. It promotes better food passage through the intestines and contributes to better stool. It also reduces the bloated feeling that you get with increased fiber.
Try to gradually make these small changes to your diet and you will see the benefits almost immediately. Try including more fibrous foods to also prolong your hunger pangs, breakfast being the best way to start.
Do you like to eat processed foods, and gorge on them a lot to stay away from cooking? It is important for you to know that processed foods are bad for your health and it is best that you avoid consuming them. Although all food items we eat are mechanically processed in certain ways, chemical processing, which is the primary feature of processed food items, is hazardous for your health.
Here are the major reasons why you should not eat processed food items.
The hyper-rewarding nature of processed food can lead to severe consequences in many people. It is possible for you to become addicted to processed foods, and lose total control over your consumption rate. This problem of addiction to processed fast foods is a major problem in today’s world. It is an important reason for obesity, which is a prominent health concern today all over the world.
Your mother has often yelled at you for playing video games for long hours, but obviously, you haven’t paid heed to it. Such is the obsession with video games that they don’t let you rest unless you have championed all the levels in the virtual interface. Here is the source of all problems.
Studies have revealed that video games have a direct relation to neuropsychiatric problems. As a result, many health experts across the world consider video game as a kind of health abuse.
People who play action-oriented video games are at higher risks. The more you indulge in these kinds of games, the more they are going to affect the hippocampus section of your brain. It is that part of the brain which is considered to be the centre of your nervous system, memory and emotion.
Reduced hippocampus volume may make person vulnerable to multiple neuropsychiatric complications. Let us see some of the signs, which may indicate the onset of certain complications arising from an over indulgence in these games.
1. You spend hours on the computer or related gaming devices and devote lesser hours for your family and friends
2. You get agitated when someone stops you midway through the game
3. You become socially isolated and show signs of occasional mood swings
4. You are unable to keep a track of time once you start playing
5. You repeatedly neglect your studies, resulting in a dip in performance at school
Why does this happen?
All of the above signs indicate that sooner or later you might develop neurological problems. When you spend an excessive number of hours playing and navigating through the games, the ‘hippocampus’ portion of your brain shows signs of decreased grey matter. As a result, the volume of the hippocampus shrinks, causing severe nerve-related disorders such as schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, depression, and overall general stress.
One of the biggest reasons behind this is a lack of self-control. Most of the video games will encourage you to steal cars, run away after a theft and kill your enemies. Moreover, if you succeed, you are rewarded. This naturally unleashes a blatant urge for the gratification of all these awkward desires in your real life too. Hence, once you are encountered with reality, you tend to show violent behavior.
Fungal infections in nails are caused by an overgrowth of the fungi in your nails. When the growth of fungus happens on the fingernails or toenails, it is known as onychomycosis or tineaunguium.
Here are the probable causes of why you might get a fungal nail infection :
2. Problems in your circulatory system
4. Artificial nails
5. Swim in public pools
6. Nail injuries
7. Skin injuries surrounding the nail
8. Fingers or toes which have been moist for an extended period of time
9. Immune system problems
10 Wearing shoes which have toes enclosed
It is also worth note that fungal infections happen much more frequently in your toenail as compared to your fingernail. This is because of two main reasons. The first reason is that fungi can grow very easily on your toenails because of the position. Your shoes are dark, warm and moist and therefore, perfect for the growth of fungi. The second reason for more fungal infections on your toe nails as compared to your fingernails is because toes have less blood flow than fingers, thus making it harder for the immune system to fight off the infection.
Fungal infections in your nails are one of the easier infections to diagnose. This is because there are several symptoms which indicate you have this condition. Here are those symptoms:
1. Scaling underneath your skin
2. White or yellow streaks on your nails
3. Corners of the nail may crumble
4. Flaky surface of the nail
5. Yellow spots at the bottom of the nails
6. Loss of nail
7. A nail breaking off from the rest of the nails
8. An odor from the nail
9. Brittle or thick nails
Freckles are not always unwanted. While some people can't stand them, a few people find them cute. However, everybody loves clear skin and to achieve that it is essential to bid farewell to freckles. Freckles are tiny brown spots that are caused by increased production of melanin in the skin cells. People with sensitive skin are more prone to freckles than others. If you're looking for a way to get clearer skin, here are a few remedies to help you deal with freckles.
1. Use sunscreen
The first step to fighting freckles is to prevent them. Freckles are a result of exposure to the sun and hence using a good sunscreen every day is a must. Choose a sunscreen that fights both UVA and UVB rays. The more your exposure to the sun, the higher the amount of SPF needed.
2. Bleach them with lemon juice
Lemon juice is the best form of natural bleach. Apply freshly squeezed juice or bottled lime juice onto the skin and leave for 15-20 minutes. Do this twice a day to see your freckles fade. Along with bleaching the skin, the citric acid also helps tighten the skin and makes you look younger.
3. Increase your intake of vitamin C
Vitamin C helps lighten the skin. Apart from limes and lemons, kiwis, tomatoes, bell peppers and papaya are good sources of vitamin C.
4. Use sour milk and sour cream
Sour milk and sour cream contain lactic acid that inhibits melanin production and lighten the skin. Wash your face with sour milk three to four times a day. You may rinse your face with water a little while after each sour milk wash. Apply the sour cream on your face as a mask and leave on for 15-20 minutes. This will help your skin absorb lactic acid.
5. Mask them with honey
Apply a mixture of honey and warm water over the freckles. Let it sit for a while and then rinse with lukewarm water. Follow this by rinsing your face with cold water. Alternatively, you could try a mask of honey and yoghurt. Leave this mask on for at least half an hour.
6. Try a fruit peel
Along with eating them, you could also put fruit directly on your skin to fight freckles. Blend fruits like strawberries, papaya, pineapple and cucumber and apply it on your face. As it dries the top layer of skin sticks to the frit and is peeled off. With repeated use, you will notice your freckles fade away.