Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prosenjit
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. ProsenjitYour feedback matters!
Unlike other teeth which erupt at specific period of time, the wisdom teeth, in normal adults, erupt anytime from late teenage years to adulthood. The refined food habits in the recent times have reduced the need for a third molar. Also, our jaw sizes have reduced with evolution, and oftentimes, there is less space for these to erupt completely, causing their impaction. The chances of infection developing within the tooth and in the surrounding tissues is very high, requiring removal. Before you go ahead with removal, know the following four things.
- Get a buddy: In addition to the effects of anesthesia, there also would be moderate pain and discomfort, depending on how traumatic the extraction was. It is always best to have someone accompany you for the visit. This also helps you reach home safely without having to drive.
- Numb tongue and lips: The wisdom tooth removal is done under a local anesthesia where the entire quadrant is numbed before the procedure. Therefore, the chances of chewing on the tongue and the lip are quite high. Be careful to consciously avoid this as there are a lot of people who do not feel pain, but continue to chew on the tongue or lip and end up with injuries.
- Pain Management: Once the effect of anesthesia wears off, the pain will slowly set in, and will depend on how traumatic the extraction was. It is always advisable to take a pain killer before the anesthetic effect wears off, usually 30 to 40 minutes after the extraction process is over.
- Diet: For the first couple of days, stay on a completely soft diet with nothing spicy, hard, or hot to eat. One of the best things to have after an extraction is an ice cream, which can be continued for a couple of days after the extraction. Yogurt, smoothies, milkshakes, mashed vegetables and well-cooked rice are all good food choices.
- Smoking: If you have had an extraction, avoid smoking for at least a week. The negative pressure created during smoking can dislodge the clot that is formed in the tooth socket. This can lead to a complication called dry socket, which can be very painful. Avoid smoking at all costs, especially with wisdom tooth extractions.
- Postoperative follow-up: Based on the complexity of the extraction, a postoperative follow-up would be required. Be prompt in following up with your dentist for suture removal, check on socket healing and postoperative irrigation of the surgical site. Resume routine oral hygiene practices as recommended by the doctor.
Wisdom tooth removal requires a little extra caution as compared to a normal extraction, the ideal thing to do is to follow your dentist’s advice.
How painful is wisdom tooth extraction. I have an upper left wisdom tooth extraction. Does it hurt even after anaesthesia. Can you advice anything that can calm me down during and after the process. I have never been to a doctor in my life. Really scared been putting it off since close to 2 years now. It's a hidden under gums condition. Does it hurt after -the gums cutting and any hidden risks. Please help.
Sir I have squamous cell papilloma on my tongue back. It confirmed by biopsy and my doctor suggested it is not worries. But it is painful I want to ask you any treatment available. Thanks sir.
In 2008 I got my right side lower jaw wisdom tooth removed next tooth root canal was done in September this year severe pain started visited dentist he took an X-Ray & said infection in root canal as it was not properly done. Re-Root canal got done but again suddenly pain started Dr. advised to take Metrogyl 400 for 5 days pain stopped, cement filling was done & Cap was fixed but from second day pain again started I visited Dentist again he says will remove cap & filling keep it open with some cement in it for few months the infection will automatically go & then he will fill & fix the cap is this procedure correct? Please advice.
I have noticed my teeth are getting yellow, since few days I started brushing twice a day but still no change. Please suggest how to get rid of this.
Hello. I am sandip ghosal. My age is 21. I am having serious sensitivity problem in my teeth from last two months. What should I do?
Hello Doctor, I am 22 years old, my problem is I am getting bad smell from my mouth. I am not able to talk with my friends freely due to this. Kindly suggest me a medicine for this. Thanking you.
It's a great idea to prepare a reward chart for the kids and track their daily brushing activity. This will help them in developing a healthy brushing habit and good oral hygiene maintenance.