Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Beena Upadhyay
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Beena UpadhyayYour feedback matters!
It was excellent. She explained well doubts.
The term infertility in females explains a wide range of disorders but in order to simplify things, lets’ just say, infertility in women is a condition in which women are unable to conceive. There are numerous reasons that can be responsible for this situation and although some are preventable or curable, most others have no specific cure or treatment.
One of the most common reasons for infertility is an ovulatory disorder. Almost 30 percent of female infertility is caused due to this reason. 70 percent of such infertility is treatable with drugs such as Reprones/Menogan and Clomiphene. Here is a list of causes of failed ovulation-
Disruption in the complex hormonal balance.
Ovaries fail to produce mature eggs. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is the most common disorder causing this problem. This syndrome has reduced FSH production and increased production of LH, Oestrogen and Testosterone. Suppressed FSH production may cause the partial development of ovarian follicles.
Hypothalamus may malfunction thereby causing the pituitary to malfunction, thus losing control over the process or FSH and LH production.
Physical damage to the ovaries by multiple surgeries or due to the formation of cysts.
A rare case of premature menopause.
Problems of the follicle.
Poor functioning of fallopian tubes
Diseases or disorders in the tube have been another major reason of infertility in women. Almost 25 percent of women infertility occurs due to this reason. Although treatments exist, success rates of the treatments are as high as 30 percent. The causes of tube damage may be as follows-
Previous pelvic or abdominal surgeries.
A condition called ectopic pregnancy which occurs in the tube, and even if very carefully but successfully overcome, may leave permanent damage.
Rare congenital defects in which women may be born with tube anomalies.
This is the condition where the endometrium expands excessively thereby preventing individuals from getting pregnant. This affects almost 10 percent of the population of infertile women. Almost 40 percent of women with endometriosis are infertile.
Other additional factors may include:
Behavioural factors like personal habits, lifestyle and health factors.
Cigarette smoking reduces the chances of conceiving by one-third.
Alcohol increases the chances of birth defects.
When tissues that usually grow inside the uterus, start growing outside the organ, it is called endometriosis. Painful periods, pain during sex, pain while urinating or bowel movements, extreme bleeding, fatigue, infertility, diarrhea, bloating and nausea are some of the symptoms of endometriosis.
Treating endometriosis usually depends on the following factors
- Severity of symptoms
- Severity of the disease
- Future plans for children
- Medication for Pain: If the symptoms are mild, then the doctor will prescribe some pain killers like Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Hormone Therapy: Hormone therapy is effective, but once you stop them, your symptoms may come back. Some of the hormone therapies include:
- Hormonal Contraceptives: Birth control pills, vaginal rings and patches are useful in controlling the hormones that are responsible for tissue build-up outside the uterine cavity.
- Medroxyprogesterone: This drug stops menstruation, which in turn stops the tissue build-up and put an end to all the symptoms. But on the other hand, gaining weight, low bone production and depression are some of the common effects of this drug.
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (Gn-RH) antagonists and agonists: Hormones that stimulate ovaries are blocked by these. They bring down oestrogen levels and hence prevent menstruation.
- Danazol: This drug prevents menstruation and symptoms of endometriosis by blocking the hormones that stimulate the ovaries. However, Danazol may not be a favourable option because of its side effects. The drug should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Conservative Surgery: If you are trying to get pregnant, but you already suffer from endometriosis, then removing endometriosis surgically is a viable solution. Your uterus and ovaries will be preserved, which might increase your chances of becoming pregnant. Even suffering from severe pain might find relief from conservative surgery.
- Hysterectomy: In extreme cases, the only way to deal with the symptoms is to completely remove the uterus, ovaries and cervix. Since a hysterectomy means you cannot have children, it is kept as the last option for women in their reproductive age.
Breast cancer begins when the cells that are present in the breast start to go out of control. These cells generally form a tumor which can be seen on mammogram or one can feel it as a lump. The tumor is threatening if the cells can grow into the tissues that surround it or spread to other areas of the body. Breast cancer happens mostly in ladies. Here are a few methods with which you can prevent breast cancer-
- Keep your weight in check: Maintaining a healthy weight is important for everyone although, it is easy to tune it out since it is said so often. Being overweight can expand the danger of a wide range of cancers, including breast cancer, particularly after menopause.
- Be physically active: Women who are physically active for almost or at least 30 minutes a day have a lower danger of breast cancer. Normal activity is additionally one of the ideal approaches to keep weight under control.
- Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables and Avoid Too Much Alcohol: A balanced and healthy diet can bring down the danger of breast cancer. Attempt to eat a considerable measure of fruits and vegetables and keep liquor at moderate levels or lower. While moderate drinking can be useful for the heart in most grown-ups, even low levels of intake can build the danger of breast cancer. If you do not drink, don't feel you have to begin. In case you drink modestly, there is less risk.
- Try not to Smoke: Smokers and non-smokers alike know how undesirable smoking is. It brings down a person’s quality of life and expands the danger of heart and lung diseases, stroke, and no less than 15 types of cancer, including breast cancer. It additionally causes bad breath, awful teeth, and wrinkles.
- Breastfeed, If Possible: Breastfeeding for almost one year or more brings down the danger of breast cancer. It additionally has extraordinary medical advantages for the baby as well, especially in terms of immunity.
- Keep away from Birth Control Pills: Contraceptive pills have both dangers and advantages. In many cases, the more young a lady is, the lower the danger is. While ladies are taking birth control pills, they have more chances of falling prey to breast cancer as per various medical studies. This danger leaves rapidly in the wake of stopping the pill. The danger of stroke and heart attack is increased while on the pill, especially if the woman smokes. Long term use can likewise have essential advantages, such as bringing down the danger of ovarian cancer, colon tumor and uterine cancer and undesirable pregnancy. In case you are exceptionally worried about breast cancer, staying away from birth control pills is also an alternative to lower the risk.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
You may develop a form of diabetes during pregnancy, which is known as gestational diabetes. The condition usually goes away after childbirth. During pregnancy, hormonal changes within the body may cause the blood sugar level to rise. This condition affects the developing fetus as well, as the baby receives nutrients from your blood. The baby may store the extra sugar as fat and may grow unusually large.
How gestational diabetes affects the baby
Owing to the abnormally large size, the baby may be at risk of facing several complications, if you have gestational diabetes. Your baby may be affected in the following ways:
1. There may be injuries during birth due to the large size.
2. Low blood sugar level and mineral level during birth.
3. Jaundice, which is a condition which turns the skin to yellow.
4. The baby may be born prematurely.
5. Breathing problems which are temporary.
6. The baby will be at a higher risk of obesity later in life.
How gestational diabetes affects the mother
The chances of several pregnancy complications get enhanced due to gestational diabetes. The possible risks are as follows:
1. Chances of undergoing a C-section
2. Chances of miscarriage
4. Pre-term birth
5. After giving birth, the mother has high chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
How to manage gestational diabetes?
You can follow several tips and must undergo lifestyle changes for keeping your diabetes in control. These include the following:
2. Regular physical exercise is essential for the management of sugar levels. You should work out for at least 30 minutes every day.
3. Regular health check-ups are very important, especially for your baby after birth. These may include ultrasounds and nonstress tests.
4. Prescribed medication such as insulin and several others help in the management of blood sugar levels.
5. You must observe your blood sugar level properly. You should take a blood sugar test many times a day.
6. You should always watch your symptoms for any sign of blood sugar during pregnancy.
In case you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you must consult a doctor immediately. Managing this condition at an early stage will prevent your baby from being affected in several ways. The condition can be successfully managed and majority of women with gestational diabetes have regular vaginal births and produce healthy babies. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!