Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Jaiprada Kanekar
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Jaiprada KanekarYour feedback matters!
Since a year I feel some sudden tension while sitting or any other situation like walking, studying etc. At that very moment I feel like my ears are jammed and also experienced that my jaws and teeth are whizzing and zipping. Some pinching in throat is also there. I feel out of blue at that time and feel very tensed which finally lead some pressure in my head region and some raising in my heart beats also. I feel lethargic and shaky while walking. Sometimes, my inner thighs feel some pain also. Please suggest some way through which I can get out of it since it is hampering my daily life now. Which department I should consult to get rid of it.
I was addicted to ganja for three years. Now I stopped but sometimes trying once in a week. Due to this habit, I went in depression as I lost my engineering year. Now I want to quit completely and my parents are supporting me at all the levels but what is effective simple solution for this one to leave this habit completely and devoted myself for my studies and future?
I have a little brother of 5 years old bt he is very weak and looks like 3 years old boy ,he gets frightened on little things noise etc what should we do to increase his physique and mental heath please.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an abnormal condition of the mind that develops when a person is exposed to certain traumatic events in life such as accidents, sexual assault or warfare.
The major symptoms of PTSD are:
- Reliving the traumatic experience over and over again; this leads to severe and long-term mental distress.
- Recurring dreams about the events.
- Provocation of traumatic thoughts by the slightest event that causes distress to the individual.
- Avoiding memories and thoughts that might remind them of the event.
- Developing a negative view of themselves and the world.
- Developing social or specific phobias.
- Medication and antidepressants: Medicines such as paroxetine, sertraline and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) help the individual address insomnia related problems that occur due to PTSD and suppress nightmares.
- Psychotherapy: This form of therapy is used to cure both mental health conditions (such as obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression) as well as emotional problems that result from PTSD. Skilled mental health experts are needed for this form of treatment to be administered. They would listen to each individual patiently and provide effective strategies to give solutions to the problems. Some of these therapies are:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy: This therapy enables the individual to adapt to changes and recognize thought patterns which lead to irrational and negative behaviour and actions.
- Exposure therapy: This therapy causes the affected individual to first become anxious by exposing him/her to the traumatic memories, situations and objects by simulating them. The therapy helps the person to overcome his/her fears and become comfortable in the same environment that had previously caused fear and anxiety.
- Group therapy: This popular and effective form of therapy allows the individual to share his/her feelings, fears and thoughts with a group of people who have themselves experienced similar trauma in their lives. Sharing such experiences helps reduces stress levels.
Some Self-Help and Coping Tips include:
- Avoiding situations that cause PTSD can worsen the condition. Hence, the individual should try to embrace and face such situations boldly.
- PTSD can result in loss of motivation and stress. Try utilizing your time in socialising, indulging in certain or even exercising for that matter.
- Taking some time out to relax and having fun is very important. This calms the body and mind, thereby improving one’s mood. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist.