Piercing is a form of body ornamentation. It involves the use of needles to pierce through the skin and attach a piece of jewellery to the skin. The purpose of piercing is to beautify and in case of genital piercing, it comes with the additional perks of sexual stimulation. However, this completely depends on individual preference. In the female genital anatomy, several parts are suitable for piercing. This includes the clitoral hood, the labia and the vulva vestibule.
How piercing should be done?
1. The skin around the area where the piercing is to be done must be cleaned with antiseptic.
2. A topical anaesthetic may be applied to temporarily numb the area to be pierced. This helps to control pain.
3. Any piercing must be carried out by a licensed, well-practised professional.
4. Piercing must be done with the use of new, unused, sterilized needles, which are easily disposable.
5. After-care must be provided immediately after the piercing. This includes the application of medicated healing creams, or an ice pack that relieves the pain of piercing. Typically a piercing should heal completely by the sixth week.
Risks associated with vaginal piercing
1. Wrong technique of piercing can lead to uncontrollable bleeding and wounds.
2. Poor placement of jewellery can cause the piercing to heal very slowly and painfully.
3. Poor sterilization of needles and unhygienic methods can cause severe skin infections and other complications.
4. Tearing of skin or sagging of the clitoral hood, or labia can occur due to the improper weight of the jewellery placed.
5. Spread of genital disease may occur if the piercer does not use gloves or antiseptic during the procedure.
Never opt for a piercing just because your friends are getting it done. A healthy method of getting pierced involves an understanding of your anatomy, skin type, tolerance of certain kinds of metal on your skin and extremely hygienic conditions. It sure is fashionable and may appeal to people with a different sense of aesthetics, but you must never ignore the risks. Do a thorough background check of the piercer you would like to visit and the possible after care products that you can use. It would also help to quickly get a check up done by a doctor before going ahead with the piercing.
During the menstrual days, it is necessary to use some kind of padding or easily absorbent material to remain clean and hygienic throughout the day. This material is available in form of tampons or sanitary napkins.
What is the difference between tampons and sanitary napkin
- The tampon is a mass of retentive material shaped in a cylinder, which needs to be inserted into the vagina. Most tampons have a cord or string to aid manual removal. Tampons are used especially when you have to wear tight fitting clothes.
- The sanitary napkins are disposable flat pads that are worn externally to collect menstrual blood and prevent staining. These are mostly made of rayon or cotton. They are available in a variety of sizes, with added benefits of extra absorption and fragrance in some cases. They are easier to carry.
Benefits of using a tampon
- Tampons are easy to use provided you are very well informed and well practiced about its usage and methods of insertion
- Tampons can absorb menstrual blood, depending on your flow, for up to six hours.
- Tampons are more hygienic as the entire material does not get soaked. This helps in preventing the menstrual blood from coming in contact with underwear, skin and staining other clothing.
Disadvantages of using a tampoon
- Tampons, if not changed within 4-6 hours, may cause leakage and staining.
- The insertion of a tampon is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable if not used by practiced hands.
- Incorrect insertion can be painful and lead to injuries and infection
- Leaving a tampon on for too long can cause a Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a fatal disease caused by toxins and bacterial infection.
- Tampons may increase menstrual cramps in some cases.
Benefits of using sanitaary napkins
- Sanitary napkins are easy to use. They come in flat, rectangular shapes of absorbent material that are stuck on the underwear and absorb menstrual blood externally.
- Can be worn overnight.
- Easier to use and convenient to carry around.
- Helps to monitor the flow of blood
- Lessens the risk of infections, and there are fewer health risks
Disadvantages of sanitary napkins
- Cannot prevent menstrual odours
- The absorption rate is lower than tampons
- They show through clothing and tight fitted clothes cannot be worn
It is difficult to say which one is a better or healthier option. Both kinds have their own advantages and disadvantages and are a matter of individual preference. No matter what you use, it is important for you to keep in mind that it is necessary to change it after a few hours, and regular washing helps keeping the menstrual odour in check. It also keeps the pubic region clean and free from the risks of bacterial infections. It is necessary to remain active and maintain a healthy diet to have a regular smooth flow without blood clots. In case of uncontrolled bleeding, you must seek medical attention without delay.
Hi Dr. My age is 34 years n m doing masturbation last 15 years now my problem is my penis is very thin n loose also even not standing without using hand now my marriage is coming soon in March please tell me what m doing please tell M very dipress.
Sir I am suffering from low testosterone level from long days, and I diagnosed my testosterone level is 2.90, and my free testosterone level is 2.48 please suggests and give me reply sir.
I am tired of this precum how to get rid of these I am an athlete I don't want this thing in my life and I am shy to go for Dr. so btr give me a nice suggestion to get rid of these precum.
I am 23 years old and after my firstbreakup I do not have any sexual feelings. I am virgin. But many of my friends of same age have such feelings but am not having it since my breakup. Is it normal? If no what shud I do?
I have erection problem in sex. I am having this issue since in a month. I am 39 years old. Got married 9 year completed and does have kid still. No smoke and no drink habits. But I have depression. I am not able to perform well during the sex. My penis not become strong. Please advice.
If you wish to father a child, then sperm count and quality are critically important. Do you know some bad habits or activities can unknowingly harm your sperm? Here are 7 research-backed ways that you are ruining your sperm quality and count.
1. Laptops- Laptops can be dangerous if you use them on your lap. They can heat your testicles which can negatively affect your sperm production. In fact, a study indicated that men who use laptops on their lap regularly, their sperms motility decreases and DNA damages. This may hurt the chances of reproduction.
2. Smoking -Smoking contributes to 13% of male infertility cases. It damages the sperms in such a way that they are unable to fertilize the eggs. Even if they manage to create an embryo, it is less likely to survive. A puff of smoke may also cause hormonal imbalances and erectile dysfunction.
3. Hot shower - Watch out when you raise the temperature of your bath next time. Experts say that taking baths in very hot waters can heat your scrotum and decrease the sperm count. Scrotum is sac that stores sperms at 35 degree celsius. Avoid prolonged exposure to hot water, moderate exposure is fine.
4. Soap and detergent - Sure, they are considered as the ultimate germ killer but it is not just germs they kill, you are also killing your chances of having a baby. Some antibacterial soaps, shampoos, detergents and toothpastes may contain triclosan, this chemical has been linked to.
5. Beer - A european study suggested that drinking 5 beers a week is enough to reduce the sperm quality in healthy men. The researchers advised that high habitual alcohol can affect reproductive health and lower the chances of having a baby. However, semen quality can be restored if alcohol intake is reduced.
6. Tight briefs -When you wear tight briefs, your scrotum gets hold more tightly against the body. It can warm the testicles and create a hostile environment. Switch to wearing briefs as they can make you comfortable and also keep the scrotal temperature elevated.
7. Smartphone - Keeping your smartphone in the trouser pocket can spell trouble for you. An american study suggested that phones emit electromagnetic radiation and can have undesirable effects on the cells responsible for development of sperm inside the testicles.
What's the average time to get ejaculated after having sexual intercourse for both males and females.
I am 22 years old female. I had used a condom during sex but still I missed my period this month. I tested for pregnancy with the pregnancy kits that are available and it came out to be positive. Can I have some medicine that can prevent the pregnancy apart from surgical abortion?
Hello, doctors I am 27 years old single but I am having problem of PRECUM even a small sexual thought leads to a lot of precum from my penis and wets my thighs or undergarments. Is it normal or do I suffer from some problem, please help.
I had a sex with my gf (20 year old) and she haven't still undergone through normal menstrual cycle of these month which was on 7/12/16. What should I do so that we can be relaxed and we do not have to face any unwanted pregnancy. Pls help.
I am 35 years old. From two months I think I get semen allergy on thighs when I perform sex or masturbation. Next day it will appear. It seems red rashes and itching. Day to day it increasing if I not derma5. How to cure permanently. My wife also infected next day after sex. But it seems different.
Gud morning sir. Mem I have 1 bought bcoz I have been scan my scrotum so left side I have severe pain in my left testis 10 to 15 days so Dr. general physician can suggest me to do scan scrotum so I done 8 Dec 2016 so report Colour doppler. Eve dene of tortuous vessels on lt side maximum diameter notes is 4 mm with reflux on valsalva this report I can show my physician but he suggested me urologist or general surgeon please sir mem I can't understand help me I am scared about this bcoz next years I plan my marriage is this a big problem in my life ya I ll show to that urologist or gen surgeon I regarding you please reply me as soon as possible. All lybrate team reply me your suggest thanks you.
My penis size is not good. Want to increase the penis size in length as well in thickness. Please guide How I can increase my penis size naturally.
Masturbating can cause weight loss or weakness? Or why my heart beat is fast when I want to do masturbate.
I am 25 year old but when I do sex with my wife I fill very week and I can not do sex nicely so what can do for it.
My friend had unprotected sex with her boyfriend on 27th August and she took ipill (ecp) after 7 hours of intercourse. After 4 days I.e. On 1 september she started bleeding which continued till 4th September. Then she did home 4 urine pregnancy test after 21 days of intercourse, 28 days, 35 days and 42 days of intercourse. All the test came NEGATIVE. She did a beta hcg test on 18th October which was 51 days after intercourse. The result was <1.2miU/mL. Then after 5 days i.e. On 23 October she started bleeding which continued till 29th October. Last month also she bleed from 23 November to 29th November. Does she still have to be worried about pregnancy?
I masturbate everyday. Is it normal for me or its not. If not can you please help me to get rid of it.
Near By Clinics
DermatologistRajaji Nagar, Bangalore, Bangalore
SexologistRajaji Nagar, Bangalore, Bangalore