Thyme herb belongs to the mint family. Apart from being a staple culinary ingredient, it is getting fast recognition for its medicinal benefits. Here are 13 of the many distinct benefits of thyme -
1. Fights acne: when thyme is soaked in alcohol for several days, it turns tincture and attains antibacterial properties for fighting acne.
2. Lowers blood pressure: if thyme can be replaced with salt in foods, it will work effectively to lower the heart rate.
3. Stops a cough: thyme oil mixed with ivy leaves is a wonderful natural remedy for a cough, cold and even acute bronchitis.
4. Boosts immunity: thyme comes loaded with nutrients like vitamin a, c, manganese, copper, iron and fiber to help build body's immunity.
5. Controls pests: thyme is added is a primary ingredient to many pesticides for controlling pests, viruses and bacteria. Rub thyme leaves on your arms and legs and they will be safe from mosquito bites.
6. Improves mood: thyme essential oil contains a substance called 'carvacrol'. This substance helps thyme in being used as an aromatic agent that renders many therapeutic uses.
7. Protects from cancer: thyme extracts render protective effect on organs like colon and breast from cancer.
8. Treats yeast infection: thyme essential oil can be applied over yeast infected areas (vagina and mouth) for quick relief.
9. Cures rheumatism: the diuretic properties of thyme oil help in removal of toxins that consequently betters the circulation and cures rheumatism.
10. Strengthens cardiac muscles: thyme has anti-spasmodic properties that make it eligible to be used for regulating the functioning of heart valves. It relieves heart of its stress by smoothening veins and arteries.
11. Eliminates gases: thyme is an effective carminative agent and pushes gases downward towards their elimination.
12. Uplifts low blood pressure: thyme is a boon for those who often have plummeting blood pressure to save them from the sluggish lifestyle.
13. Kills virus: thyme, in its various forms, holds immense antiviral potential and prevents the entry of the virus into the cell. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.