Pruritus Ani or in other words, Anal itching is quite a common condition. The itch, which can be in or around one's anus, is often intense and may even be accompanied by a strong urge to scratch. One can find anal itching to be very embarrassing and uncomfortable. Pruritus Ani has a number of possible causes like skin problems, haemorrhoids and also by washing too much or not washing the area enough. Now, before looking at the tips in terms of Ayurveda, let us briefly discuss the symptoms and causes behind the problem.
Pruritus Ani or Anal Itching can be associated with redness, a burning sensation and soreness. The itching and irritation can be either temporary or more persistent, depending upon the cause. Possible symptoms, which when people come across should consult a doctor, include:
- You come across bleeding from the anus or even leakage of stool.
- The area around the anal seems to be infected.
- People fail to recognize exactly what could cause a persistent itch.
- Anal itching in a persistent manner can also be related to a skin condition.
There are times when the cause behind the occurrence of anal itching cannot be identified. Some of the possible causes of anal itching include:
- Infections: Infections include those that are sexually transmitted, from pinworms and also yeast infections. All these can cause anal itching or Pruritus Ani.
- Adverse Skin Conditions: There are times when anal itching can be the result of a specific skin condition such as contact dermatitis or psoriasis.
- Other medical conditions: There are certain other medical conditions like sufferance from diabetes, thyroid, haemorrhoids, anal tumours, which can easily result in the problem of Pruritus Ani or Anal Itching.
Tips on Pruritus Ani – Ayurveda
Ayurveda, as we all know deals with treating health problems through natural means through the use of herbs, medicated oils, diet modifications. According to Ayurveda, everything we eat has an effect on our body, which it categorizes in a simple and easy manner using gunas.
- Gunas are the qualities that describe the effect that a food or herb has on one's body.
- Foods, which have a cooling effect on our bodies like cucumber can decrease metabolism. Hot food items like chilli pepper can stimulate one's body and increase metabolism.
Ones who suffer from Pruritus Ani, Ayurveda instructs them to select foods with the following qualities:
- Take more of cool ingredients
- Have those foods which clear or flushes out the wastes. Fruits and vegetables can be extremely effective towards achieving this.
- Black coffee, dark chocolates and green salads can work wonders for people getting affected by this problem.
- People can increase their intake of nuts and seeds.
- Ayurveda even suggests taking beets and garlic can have a positive impact on one's body
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!