How do I last longer in bed’ is one of the most common queries we get on the site. We do not know whether the people who ask this question have a wrong perception of how long they need to last or actually have a serious problem like premature ejaculation.
Unlike what you see in porn, the average time for men during intercourse is 5-10 minutes, while the whole act from seduction to the end of actual intercourse may last around 30 minutes. Here are 11 things you should beware off, as they can kill your sex drive
If you clock anywhere below 3 minutes, you perhaps need help. You could try some of the things listed below:
1. Eat more veggies and fruits: Yes, studies have actually shown that men who are mostly vegetarian last much longer in bed than non-vegetarians. They have more stamina due to the nutrients they get from these fruits and veggies, especially potassium.
a. Eating a banana just before sex could help improve your performance as it contains potassium. It also supplies a good amount of glucose. Read more about health benefits of bananas.
c. Eat a handful of strawberries before intercourse. Its high zinc content and glucose concentration can help you last longer. Check out 10 Bollywood stars reveal stuff about sex, love and more!
2. Avoid processed sugar: The ‘sugar slump’ that comes after a ‘sugar rush’ could reduce your stamina.
3. Cut down on smoking: It hardens your arteries and lessens blood flow to the penis. According to men’s health Physician and Medical Sex Therapist DrVijayasarathi Ramanathan, ‘Smoking affects every system/organ of the body including sexual functioning. People need to understand that erection in men has a lot to do with a healthy heart, blood vessels. Smokers are twice as likely to get erectile dysfunction as non-smokers.’
4. Reduce alcohol intake: Alcohol has a bad effect on your senses and you are not ‘fully’ in the moment. So, exerting control is out of question, isn’t it?
5. Work on your arms and abdominal muscles: Most of the sexual positions require the man to be on his hands and feet. This means his core has to be very strong in order to last longer. So, working on biceps, triceps and abs at the gym or body-weight exercises at home can help. Exercise also improves blood flow in general including to the penis and this could also help. (Read: Revealed — men with bigger bellies last 5 minutes longer in bed than slim men)
6. Try Kegels or pelvic floor exercises: These exercises are mostly used for gaining better bladder control, but also help in maintaining erections for longer. Imagine you are urinating and then try to stop the flow. Repeat this – squeeze, hold, release cycle 10 times, trying to hold for 10 seconds per squeeze.
7. Try biofeedback or ‘edging’: When you are almost there (during intercourse or masturbation), stop all sexual activity. Distract yourself for a bit. This way you can gain better control and extend sex time.
8. Try the squeeze technique: When you are almost about to orgasm, squeeze just below the head of the penis. This pushes the blood back from the penis giving you more time.
9. Focus more on foreplay and your woman: Sometimes, trying to get her to orgasm first with either your fingers or your mouth could help relieve your stress and help maintain your erection longer.
10. Get enough sleep: According to a research conducted by researchers from University of Chicago, men who got less than five hours of sleep at night had lower levels of testosterone. It is important that you get 7-8 hours of sleep to boost your sexual performance.
11. Try yoga: Certain yoga asanas like the cobra pose (bhujangasana), paschimotasana can increase blood flow to the genital area and increase the time you last in bed.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.