Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease characterized by high levels of blood sugar because either your pancreas does not produce enough insulin – Type 1 diabetes – or your body is unable to process glucose effectively – Type 2 diabetes.
Normally, the food we eat is processed into glucose, which is the main fuel for energy in the human body. The pancreas produces insulin and releases the same to the cells. However, in the case of diabetes mellitus, little or no insulin is produced, or the cells are resistant to the glucose produced.
Siddha Approach to Diabetes Mellitus -
In Siddha system, diabetes is known as Neerizhivu noi, Pramagham, Madhumegham, etc. The condition is attributed to increased blood glucose and urination. According to this traditional medicinal system, the deterioration of seven udal thathus – nourishing juice or Saaram, blood or Cheneer, muscles or Oon, bone or Enbu, marrow or Moolai, fat or Kozhuppu, and semen/ova or Sukilam/Sronitham – lead to damage of the body system.
Managing Diabetes with Siddha -
Instead of relying on Allopathic medications, one can try these natural remedies proposed in Siddha treatment to manage diabetes mellitus –
• Drink half a cup of freshly extracted bitter gourd juice every morning
• Consume a handful of Bengal gram or channa 2-3times daily
• Mix half a teaspoon of methi or fenugreek powder in a glass of water at night and drink it away the next morning on an empty stomach. Drinking methi water every alternate day can help control high blood sugar levels.
• Chew 3-4 leaves of Neem in the morning or sip on its juice. Neem is very effective in combating diabetes.
• Regular consumption of Amla or Indian gooseberry juice can help lower blood glucose levels. Take one teaspoon of honey, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, and one teaspoon of dried Amla powder. Mix them together and consume twice a day.
Besides, Siddha medicines can also be used to treat diabetes. Unlike allopathic medicines, these medicines do not bring side effects like allergies or other complications.
Prevention of Diabetes with Siddha -
Siddha recommends the following tips to prevent the onset of diabetes mellitus –
• Avoid anxiety, stress, and depression
• Avoid foods and beverages that are high in sugar component
• Avoid intake of oily, spicy foods
• Eat a balanced diet that includes lots of leafy, green vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and non-fat dairy items
• Exercise regularly to keep blood glucose under control. In Siddha system, certain yoga postures, such as Kalappai Asanam-Halasana, Villasanam-Dhanurasana, and Pavanamuktasana are considered very effective for diabetes prevention.
• Quit smoking and alcohol consumption
Diabetes is a modern lifestyle disease, where blood glucose levels become elevated and result in elimination through urine. High amounts of glucose in the bloodstream means reduced production of insulin by the pancreas. Siddha medicines work by strengthening the pancreas, regulating the easy flow of insulin, and improving glucose tolerance – thus curing chronic diabetes mellitus.