A lime may be one of the smallest things that most people don't consider buying especially when they go for fruits and vegetable shopping, but it is one of the high nutrition food item in the basket. When it comes to lemons the first thing that pops into our mind is the presence of vitamin C, but in reality, there are a number of health benefits that most people are not aware of.
Along with a boost of vitamin C, lemons are infused with the goodness of fiber, calcium, thiamin, pantothenic, acid folate, magnesium, copper, etc. and to top it all they are also low in calories. Apart from the aforementioned benefits, there are certain reasons why lemons should be consumed daily.
- A powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals: Lemons are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium which is essential for heart health, nerve function and are good at maintaining the level of blood pressure in the body. They can also reduce cancer as they contain antioxidants and bioflavonoids.
- Fights infection: We all know lime to be very good at fighting cold and cough. Not just that. It is useful in severe infections like cholera and E.coli infections. As cholera is transmitted by food, adding lime to the food will help in preventing its transmission.
- Heart health: Lime is rich in antioxidants which is responsible for keeping the arteries healthy and improve blood circulation. They also reduce the buildup of plaque in the walls of the arteries, which prevents the hardening of arteries and reduces the onset of blood pressure. Lemons can work wonders when it comes to maintaining the overall heart health. One can also include lemon peel and oil in their daily diet for good health.
- Drink to your health: Drinking a glass of lime juice with a spoon of honey, on an empty stomach is the best way to start a day, as it will provide the body with a boost of energy it requires.
- Fights cancer: Considering lemons are packed with antioxidants along with certain compounds which are good at fighting cancerous cell development. Further, the presence of compounds, such as hesperidin and d-limonene are well known for their cancer prevention properties, due to which lime is amongst the best cancer-fighting foods.
- Glowing skin and hair: After squeezing out the juice from the lime, rub the lime on the face and notice how the skin glows. If that sounds not feasible, apply lime oil on the face, this will keep the skin elastic and youthful. Applying lime to the hair is a natural way to keep the hair shiny and black.
- Joint movement: It is common for uric acid to accumulate in joints, which leads to bone pain and discomfort. Citric acid from the lime ensures this uric acid accumulation is reduced, thereby, reducing gout and inflammation.
- Weight loss: The citric acid is an excellent fat burner, and drinking two glasses of warm lime water per day can give obvious results in a week’s time.
Now that the benefits of lemons are out of the bag, don’t forget to throw in a couple of lemons in that shopping bag. Further, in case of a query, do consult an expert & get answers to the queries.