Headaches on their own are quite a pain, but headaches can also be a symptom of a more serious illness. Most headaches are caused by the disturbance of pain sensitive structures around the brain. This can be inside or outside the cranium. Headaches can be seen as a sign of stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, food allergies etc. Thus, it can be considered a warning that you need to change your lifestyle or diet and relax. Depending on what causes the headache, a number of homeopathic remedies can be used to treat it.
- Aconite: This is effective if the headache comes on suddenly and is worsened by cold. Another symptom of headache, which can be effectively treated by aconite is the accompanying of the headache by the feeling of a tight band over the head.
- Belladonna: A throbbing headache that is centered on the front or right side of the head can be treated with Belladonna. This sort of headache is usually accompanied by shooting pains, dilated pupils and aggravated by the slightest movement, sound or draft of air. It is also usually worse in the afternoons.
- Nux vomica: This is an effective cure for headaches caused by excessive alcohol or coffee, indigestion and hepatic insufficiency. It is usually centered over the eye and can persist all day or all night.
- Cocculus: Symptoms of headaches that can be treated with cocculus are first, pain that extends from the back of the head to the nape of the neck, motion sickness and a tendency to worsen by thinking too much. Such types of headaches improve when the patient is indoors and resting.
- Sanguinaria: A headache, which begins at the back of the head and settles over the right eye can be treated with Sanguinaria. These headaches usually start in the morning and intensify as the day progresses. It is often experienced by women who bleed excessively during menstruation. Lying down can relive this sort of headache.
- Spigelia: A headache that settles over the left eye can be treated with Spigelia. Such headaches usually begin in the morning, reach their peak in the afternoons and subside by the evenings. Noise, movement or a change in weather can aggravate such headaches.
- Cimicifuga: Headaches caused by fatigue and exhaustion can be treated using cimicifuga. This sort of pain is associated with sharp pains over the years and a shooting pain at the top of the head. You may feel like a bolt being driven through the head.