HIV or the Human Immunodeficiency Virus is a problem of the immune system where it is severely weakened and the body becomes more susceptible to other serious medical conditions. The final stage of the HIV infection may result in AIDS. However, it may take up to a decade or more to fully develop. During this stage, the immune system can be severely diminished and becomes prone to diseases caused by infections such as gastrointestinal disorders, pneumonia among others.
- Unprotected sexual intercourse
- Usage of common and infected needles either due to drug abuse or untrained medical personnel.
- HIV can also transmit from the infected mother to a child by means of breastfeeding or during the gestational period through the placenta.
- Severe headaches
- Pain in the muscles and joints
- Inflation in the lymph nodes and etc.
The later symptoms that may appear after a few years may include severe fatigue, inflation of lymph nodes, weightloss, fever and sweating at the night. HIV is suspected if the symptoms remain for a long time without any diagnosable underlying cause for existence.
Ayurvedic approach to HIV
According to Ayurvedic scriptures, the symptoms of HIV have similarities with the concept of ‘Kshaya’ which denotes severe energy loss. So, the Ayurvedic medications aim to restore the lost energy of the body and subsequent development of the immune system along with the removal of the toxic materials from the body. The ayurvedic remedies for symptoms are as follows:
- Consumption of 2 to 3 tablespoons of Chyawanprash might help in the lowering of the cholesterol levels along with the lowering of blood pressure and overall development of the muscles and skin. This preparation, made up of gooseberry and 35 other herbs, is also helpful in improving the dwindling immunity of the body.
- A prescribed dosage of Triphala powder with water can also be helpful with diagnosing the digestive problems that might occur as a result of HIV.
- Consumption of a tonic of the mineral pitch Shilajit can also give a boost to someone with the feelings of constant fatigue, which is a common symptom of HIV.
- A regulated consumption of the Ashwagandha herb might help in reinstating the lost vigor of a person affected by HIV. This herb is also useful to normalize the weight of the body.
- Yoga and meditation are two very important weapons in the arsenal of Ayurveda which will not only limit the symptoms of HIV but also boost the various organs of the body resulting in an improved quality of life.