Healthy Fats - Know About Them!
Dt. Sheema Naaz
88% (10 ratings)
Fellowship in Clinical Nutrition, Diploma in Advance Diet & Nutrition, Certificate in Clinical Nutrition, PHD- Philosophy
9 years experience
Human body requires a minimum amount of fat from the diet to help in the functioning of hormones, memory and in the absorption of specific nutrients. If one includes meals containing healthful fats, those tend to create a sense of fullness and also take time to digest the carbohydrates. Let us take a look at some of the most healthful high-fat foods:
- Avocado: Avocado contains a high monounsaturated fatty acid called oleic acid, which provides a number of health benefits. Oleic acid is anti-inflammatory in nature and thus plays a crucial role in the prevention of cancer. They are high in fiber and a single fruit provides 13.5 g out of the 25 grams, recommended for females and 38 grams for males every day.
- Dark Chocolate: Taking only 1 oz of dark chocolate can be sufficient enough to get rid of sweet cravings. It provides enough amount of healthful fat along with other nutrients like potassium and calcium. Research suggests that having dark chocolate helps to lower the risk of heart disease in people living in the United States.
- Eggs: Over a number of years, people have known egg whites to be healthy but in reality; egg yolk contains a number of important nutrients. The egg yolk has Vitamin D and choline, which is a Vitamin B that provides support for the proper functioning of brain, liver, nerves and muscles. A study this year has come up with the report that having an egg per day can lower the risk of heart disease.
- Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds have omega-3 fatty acids and a healthy dose of fiber. Every 2 tablespoon of flaxseeds contains 9 gm of unsaturated fat and 5.6g fiber. The fiber gives a feeling of fullness and leads to the reduction of cholesterol.
- Nuts: Nuts are rich in healthful fats, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and thus aid in preventing heart diseases and Type 2 diabetes.
- Olive Oil: Extra-virgin olive oil contains monounsaturated fats which are good for heart’s health. It has Vitamin E, Vitamin K and antioxidants which are potent. One can use it on a regular basis for cooking and dressings.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful