Hair fall is a part of the natural aging process. However, sometimes, excessive hair fall may be the result of a disease or any other poor health condition. Knowing the causes and the available treatment options can help in dealing with the hair fall problem. Read on to find what might be causing hair fall and the ways to treat the problem.
Causes of hair fall
Several factors can be responsible for causing hair fall, and a few of the most common causes are:
- Excessive hairstyling: Using products that are chemically harsh on the hair can trigger hair fall. Also, using styling products excessively such as straighteners, hair dryers, rollers, or bleach may result in inflaming and scaring the hair follicles leading to hair fall.
- Underlying illness or surgery: Suffering from an illness such as syphilis, thyroid, or autoimmune diseases, or experiencing tremendous stress after surgery can cease the hair production or trigger hair fall.
- Hormonal imbalances: Hormonal imbalances due to use of certain medications, childbirth or health conditions can also cause hair fall.
- Nutritional deficiencies: Hair fall can also be triggered by lack of nutrition or over dieting or eating disorders.
- Use of certain medications: Use of certain medications and drugs, such as chemotherapy drugs or medications that boosts Vitamin A level can also contribute to hair fall.
- Hereditary: Sometimes, hair fall can also be hereditary; and in that case, treating it becomes difficult. However, with the help of surgical treatments such as hair transplant, heredity induced hair fall can be treated.
How can hair fall be treated?
Several treatment options are available, and based on the cause of the hair fall, the present scalp condition, and the severity of hair fall among other factors, a dermatologist may offer the below-mentioned treatments:
- Medications: From topical lotions and creams to anti-inflammatory medications, depending upon the cause of hair fall, these medications can boost hair growth, while calming the inflamed and damaged hair follicles.
- Scalp reduction: When hair fall results in baldness, then this particular treatment may become helpful as, in it, the bald scalp area is replaced with scalp areas that have hair.
- Hair transplant surgery: Hair replacement through surgical techniques can also be great when people suffer from hair fall due to hereditary reasons and has developed bald spots as a result of rapidly increasing hair fall.
Experiencing hair fall for a long term can not only cause one to suffer from baldness, hair thinning, and bald patches, but also can result in permanent hair loss.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!