Hair-fall is a normal process, if we consider the hair-growth cycle that lasts for two to six weeks. The usual rate of growth is about one centimeter a month. After two to three months, hair which were in their ‘resting phase’ shed to allow new hair to grow back. Deviation from this normal cycle leads to abnormal hair-fall which can then become a matter of concern.
Tips to handle abnormal hair loss
- Testing hair thinning: Take 20 to 30 hair strands and hold them between your thumb and index finger. Pull firmly and slowly. If more than six hair strands happen to come out at a time, then you might be suffering from abnormal hair loss.
- Limited use of hair dryers: Consistent heating weakens the hair proteins and leads to brittleness and fragility of hair follicles. Hence, limit the uses of hair dryers, curlers, hair straightness or hot brushes.
- Avoid Perms: Avoid chemical straightening or curling which breaks the inner bonding of your hair and makes the hair brittle.
- Avoid bleaching: Bleaching removes the natural pigment and weakens the hair follicles.
- Avoid pulling the hair strands tightly: Certain hairstyling involves tightly pulling the hair and using clips or elastics, tight braids, plaits, cornrows, tight ponytail. Avoid using heated rollers. ‘Traction alopecia’ is the term coined for tightly pulling of your hair.
- Use a mild shampoo: Regularly washing your hair cleanses your hair as well as your scalp which prevents any chance of infection and the subsequent hair loss. Instead of shampooing daily, do it on alternate days. Mild shampoo includes sultaines, sulfosuccinates, silicones, and amphoacetate.
- Right Choice of Shampoo: Use different shampoos for different purposes; dandruff, greasy or normal hair and for dry hair. If the shampoo is rich in protein, it may boost the volume and make it thicker and smoother for a temporary period, but does not repair the damaged hair
- Use a good hairbrush: Use a soft brush, made of natural fibers. Instead of a brush, use a comb for wet hair.
- Scalp Massage: Massage your hair with nourishing oils such as rosemary, coconut, almond or lavender oil. It warms your skin and boosts blood circulation and provides nutrients to the follicles.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!