Infertility is becoming an increasingly common problem. With maternal ages advancing and lifestyle turning unhealthy, infertility is affecting many couples. The problem is that it is not just a physical issue but a hugely emotional one too. For many couples, failure to conceive is devastating news. With recent advances in medicine and technology, in-vitro fertilization or IVF is becoming a highly recommended procedure to treat infertility. Frozen Embryo Transfer or FET is the step where the retrieved frozen eggs are implanted in the uterus. This could be done as a part of regular IVF or when the previously transferred egg ends up with a miscarriage.
This requires some amount of preparation, though not as much as IVF, as there are not too many medications to take to boost egg production. However, preparing for FET about a couple of months ahead of the transfer can up your success rates to a great degree.
- Eat well and leave out junk, processed, oily, and packaged foods. Switch over to multiple grains, cereals, dairy products, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals so that your body turns healthy. Drink a lot of clear water and herbal drinks. Avoid alcohol and quit smoking. This will help it go through the rigors of IVF or FET.
- Fertility cleansing is aimed at cleaning up the toxins and ensure there is an adequate hormonal balance that is so essential for a healthy pregnancy. This takes about a month and so talk to your doctor about timing it. There are various natural options available for this, castor oil being an example.
- Taking about 500 mg of L-arginine is another way to create a healthy environment for the fetus. This also improves blood flow and creates a thick uterine lining.
- A fertility massage also helps to improve the uterine lining, so it is better prepared to receive and sustain the embryo throughout pregnancy. The massage improves circulation to the uterus and other reproductive organs and improves the ability of the uterus to hold the fetus. This should be done 2 to 3 months ahead of the FET and stopped after transfer.
- Surgically, the uterus could be scratched to clear it of debris and enhance its ability to receive and sustain a pregnancy.
- FET is an emotionally tense moment for a couple going through it. There is anxiety about the procedure per se and the results. So keep calm and be there for each other. Having a close family or friend also helps whom you can openly express your concerns to. Meet up with people who are also into IVF or FET so you don’t feel alone.