Acne scars can be a very stubborn thing to get rid of. Additionally, this can also cause you to feel very conscious about your physical appearance. The best thing to do in such a scenario is to go for fractional Co2 laser treatment, which can remove your acne scars for good.
What is fractional Co2 laser treatment?
Fractional Co2 laser treatment is a kind of ablative laser procedure that helps in getting rid of thin layers of the skin. This mode of treatment reduces the appearance of acne scars along with wrinkles and fine lines. It can also work towards improving your skin tone by clearing out the acne scars and scars caused due to sun damage.
How can you prepare for a fractional Co2 laser treatment?
Before you go for a treatment like this, you will need to do a few things in order to prepare yourself for the procedure. This includes the following things-
• Consider your medical history - Prior to going for this treatment make sure that you consult your dermatologist. Inform him/her about your current medical condition and medical history, so that they can help you through the process.
• Go for a physical exam - A thorough physical examination will help your dermatologist ascertain the areas where your acne scars need to be removed. This will also help them determine to what degree the treatment should be carried out, in order to avoid any kind of adverse effects on the skin.
• Stay away from sun exposure - Make sure that you do not step out very often in the sun two months prior to the treatment. This might make you end up with unnecessary pigmentation on your skin. If you must, then always use sun protection before stepping out in the sun.
• Go for appropriate medicines - When you consult your dermatologist, he might give you a few oral medicines to avoid any potential complications. Such medications will help you avoid any kind of bacterial infection around the time of the procedure.
• Be sure - Finally, be sure yourself whether you want to go for this treatment or not. Keep in mind that fractional Co2 laser treatment is not dangerous by any means. As long as you are getting it done in a reputed hospital and by a reliable dermatologist, nothing will go wrong.
How is the treatment done?
Since this is an outpatient procedure, the surgeon will administer local anaesthesia to numb the affected area of your skin. After this, he/she will direct an intense beam of laser or light energy at the affected region to get rid of the epidermis (outer layer of the skin). The laser then heats up the dermis (underlying skin), which results in the collagen fibres shrinking. As your acne scars heal, new skin starts forming that is smoother and tighter in nature. This type of treatment normally takes 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the area of the affected region and the treatment technique.
Post-procedure, your skin will be itchy, swollen and raw but do not worry, because this is completely natural. Your dermatologist will cover the affected area with a thick coat of ointment, which will get rid of the redness, itchiness, and swelling. In order to handle the pain, you can apply ice packs to the treated region.
Fractional Co2 laser treatment might sound serious and scary, but in reality, it is not. Therefore, if you are someone who is looking to get rid of your stubborn acne scars, you can go for this procedure without a second thought.