Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes chronic pain in muscles, soft tissues, tendons, and joints. For some, it can also cause memory problems, fatigue, mood swings and lethargy. Fibromyalgia is not a disease but a syndrome. The same can be effectively managed through wellness, medicine, massage and alternative medicine. This condition is more observed in women than man. Luckily through, this condition is not life threatening and does not damage muscle and joints.
What are the symptoms?
The most common symptom of Fibromyalgia is the pain. The experience of pain can be burning, deep, shooting or ache at regular intervals. Tender points around the soft tissue can be visible. This worsens at night. Some common indications of this condition include less sleep, headaches, depression, fatigue and other cognitive issues. With proper care the symptoms do improve, it, however, is a long-term condition and chances are that the pain might return in the long run.
How does massage help?
- Massage can prove to be extremely beneficial for this lot. Research indicates that massages such as Shiatsu, myofascial release and Swedish improve the condition for better. Mentioned below are few benefits that have been observed in patients of different age group:
- An evening session with a massage therapist will help a patient to get sound sleep at night. This ensures that the body rejuvenates and repairs during the sleep. The patient feels more energetic than ever before.
- Massage improved muscle tonicity: Massage helps to improve the lethargic muscle aid strength and vitality to the body. It is essential to include more petrissage strokes during the massage session to accomplish the goal.
- Massage helps a great deal to improve mental clarity. A healthy, relaxing massage session can relieve mental stress, gives clarity to thinking and resolves the cognitive issues that a person is facing.
- A person suffering from Fibromyalgia can get relief from headache with proper massaging. Massage greatly improves the flow of blood to the brain and the spinal cord region thereby, ensuring that headache is greatly reduced. Relief from headache can improve the overall health of a patient.
- Massage can reduce the level of depression and anxiety faced by a person suffering from fibromyalgia. Depression and anxiety leads to hormonal fluctuations leading to appetite, mood swings, constant irritation etc. A regular massage session can restore the body homeostasis thereby keeping the body condition normal.
- Regular massage session will improve the overall pain level of the patient and give a chance to the muscle to gain extra strength. With proper care and therapy, it is entirely possible to cure the condition for good.
However, it is also necessary to continue with the session. Giving up massage therapy after temporary relief won’t serve the purpose for long-term pain relief. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Pain Management Specialist.