Who do not want to be in shape & look slim? of course all of us! To maintain the beauty, many of us are working hard to keep their body in shape and hence is ready to go for anything just to lose weight. People pay heavy money for gym and fitness training centres for their weight loss and health. We stop eating our favourite foods to look slim. Many of us are opting for some meal replacement shakes, medicines or supplements for this purpose.
However, we generally ignore the simple healthy eating habits that have a major role in weight loss & health. Only menu selection is not sufficient to achieve weight loss and health targets. Menu is important but it not everything, it is one of the important part of healthy living. It has been beautifully illustrated in Ayurvedic text also that how important are your habits.
“How we eat is as important as what we eat.”
Methodical & disciplined eating helps to extract best out of food for body & soul. Food is not just to fill the stomach, it is to nourish every cell of the body.
“You can make your food to work like a superfood by complimenting with eating habits. “
Let us look at some of the healthy eating habits that will surely help you to maintain your best:
- Morning Detox: After you wake up early in the morning, have one – two glasses of lukewarm water. After plain water take some detox drink some herbal tea or herbal juice to give a kick to the metabolism.
- Drink your food: Its an old saying that we should drink our meals rather than eating. This is one of the healthy food habits as slow chewing of food will help you in digesting the food well and lowers down your calorie intake. As it is said that it takes around 20 minutes to realize that you have eaten fully after you consume any food.
- Eat before you feel excessively hungry: It is always seen that once you get hungry, you tend to eat more than your normal diet. It is because pancreas secretes more insulin which leads to control of body sugar. And hence, increase in fat consumption.
- Maintain Optimum Hydration: yes, be careful, I am not advising you to have a lot of water. The word optimum has been used to define quantity of water. It means drink as much as your body needs. For the sake of weight loss drinking gallons of water is not going to be worth. Water is the best cleanser, as we need water right from waking up to the bed. But keep in mind not to gulp down bottle at once. It should always be consumed sip by sip for better functioning. The best indicator of hydration adequacy is your urine colour. If you find it yellowish means a little more water is needed, but if it is clear means taking adequate fluids. Excess water intake could be a reason for dizziness and bloating.
- Golden 75:25 Rule: Divide your stomach into imaginary four parts &Food divided according to its state. Consume solid food in 50% of space, liquids 25%, rest 25% should be left empty, to maintain space for digestive juices and gases. Means Never ever overstuff yourself.
- Avoid any liquid or green tea or slim tea just after meal: As the golden 75:25 rule is telling us to keep some space, drinking just after meal will be the violation of this rule. Maintain a gap of 45 min to 1 hour before consuming anything else after major meal.
- Meal timings: Eat At fix intervals, to set the body clock. It will boost up metabolism and weight loss.
- Follow 12 : 12 clock: your first meal will decide your last meal timings. For example, if you wake up a 6 am, taking breakfast at 8 am, means finish your dinner by 8pm. Consider your eating clock of 12 hours only. Before and after taking plain water or herbal tea without sugar is not harmful.
- Eating food is a Ritual: Do not try to be multitasking while having food. Watching tv, mobile, talking to someone, emotional disturbance, playing, all this should be avoided while having food. Eat with full concentration and positive thoughts to get the best out of it.
- Sitting Cross Legged: Is the ideal if your knees are flexible enough. Avoid standing meals for better digestion.
- Take care of incompatible foods: Virudh aahar is a slow poison. Milk and citrus, melons and other fruits, banana and milk are the few examples.
- Maintain food order according to its taste: Sweet, sour, salt, pungent, bitter and astringent, it should be the order of having food in vedic diet plan. However, it is little difficult, as dishes prepared now a day are too complex.
To sum up: Tune in with your gut, listen to your stomach & instinct and gather knowledge to follow a path of good health. You will surely achieve your targets. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Updates From Lybrate: We hope this information was helpful to you. Moreover, you can also check out these products for weight loss from Lybrate to support your weight loss journey.